UKC

Osprey climbing packs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Ed 24 Jan 2014
Recently got a Variant 37 and been impressed by the quality and features but it's a tad big so was looking to back it up with a smaller one.

Looking at the new website though it seems that the smallest climbing sack Osprey do is the Variant 37 and the mutant 28 has been discontinued.

Why do you think that is?

For me quite often I like a small climbing pack for scrambling and day walks/scrambles and a bigger pack to chuck my whole rack in.

What's the ideal size for a climbing pack?
 lawrenceK 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Mr Ed:

I have both packs mentioned and they are excellent. You can fit winter kit into the Mutant 28 just nicely and it fits into the Variant 37 with room to spare. My impression of Osprey's sizes is that thier method of measuring size is very honest/conservative so that the number appears to be 5-10 liters more generous than that of other manufacturers. The mutant 28 feels like a 35 and the variant 37 like a 45.
In reply to Mr Ed:

Depends what Variant backlength/size you have. There is a huge difference between there larger and small, even though allegedly tey are both 37L.
In reply to Mr Ed:

Osprey variant 37 is huge, I had the variant 28 which I liked could get a full winter rack and rope in it no bother hard to find now, mutant 28 is a cracking pack, theres new model mutants on the way July 28
& 38,might sell my mutant 28 if ur interested £40
 Damo 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Mr Ed:

I used to think Osprey were too 'strappy' but I got a Variant 28, no longer made, and love it. It's not a no-frills ultralight pack (of which I have quite a few) but any little extras are useful things, not decoration.

Agree re: sizes. My V28 size Large always looked bigger than 28, and fully loaded in the Alps last year next to my mate's V37 you could hardly tell them apart.

I'll be buying a Mutant 38 when I find a green Large at a good price.
In reply to Damo:

Give me a shout I've brand new green mutant 38/L with tags in a Cotswolds bag I've never touched to big and after buying a B/D Speed 30 I won't be using it
 Roguevfr 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Mr Ed:

Go outdoors usually have the small mutant available at a very good price.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...