UKC

Patagonia ascencionist vs Arcteryx gamma hoody

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 25 Jan 2014
Trying to choose one of the above for winter climbing and alpine summer climbing

Anyone tried them out?

Thanks
 Si Withington 25 Jan 2014
In reply to aujayeb:
I fancied an Ascentionist a while ago and couldn't get one. I ended up with a Knifeblade hoody in a fetching yellow. It really is an amazing piece of kit. I really rate it. Used cascade climbing on the continent and winter climbing in Scotland. Warmer than you'd think and works well with various layering systems. Pretty good at keeping water out although it's obviously not a shell. I don't carry a hardshell at all unless the forecast is dire when I either leave the softshell at home or stay in bed.

Take a look.
Post edited at 10:04
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 25 Jan 2014
In reply to Si Withington:

Thanks Si, avi
 AlanLittle 25 Jan 2014
In reply to aujayeb:

I don't think the Ascentionist is still made? Current equivalent would be the Knifeblade.

Anyway, I have an Ascentionist. I like it a lot but I don't think it would be suitable for your purposes. I find it great for winter alpine walking, snowboarding etc. when it's well below freezing and definitely no chance of rain or sleet.

It would be rather too heavy for summer in the Alps, and I think for Scottish winter I'd want something more waterproof.
 Alex Slipchuk 25 Jan 2014
In reply to aujayeb:

I have used an ascensionist on almost all scottish winter trips since I acquired it 2nd hand. It was fine up the Ben last weekend . I find the breathability exceeds the benefit from a less breathable hard shell. I wouldn't use it in a summer torrent though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...