UKC

Kilimanjaro climb- organisational help needed please!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jimmy1990 30 Mar 2014
Hi guys,
I am in Tanzania (Arusha) for 4 weeks from 12th January 2015 doing a placement in a hopsital there as part of my physio degree. I really want to climb kilimanjaro while I'm there as I'm a keen walker/climber and I'm based 70miles away from kili.
Anybody got any advice how to incorparate an ascent while I'm there? I've look on the various charities which often advertise about going up; stroke, marie curie etc but none of their dates are suitable. Googled a few sites who do it privately but it's around the £3k mark.
Anybody reccommend any charities to get in touch with or any private firms or just offer any advice in general then I'd greatly appreciate that!
Thanks
Jimmy
(ps i know this post belongs in the expedition and alpine group but I'm unregistered and unable to post there, cheers)
 Steve Perry 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Jimmy1990:

Go and visit Tanzanian treking companies in Arusha, you can do this right up to the day you want to leave. Visit a few, there are lots and find your cheapest. Get an up to date Lonely Planet for East Africa, that will give you a good idea on what to expect to pay.
 Martyn Maltby 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Jimmy1990:

email Francis Njuri of Thiga Safaris, his site quotes $1500, mentioning my name may give you mates rates.

enquiry@thigasafari.com

Tell him where to collect you from and drop you off after, (may add costs)
I've used him twice on Mount Kenya and can thoroughly recommend him.

Carolyn 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Jimmy1990:

It'd also be an idea to look at trips up Meru to acclimatise (assuming you has time and money) - it's a great trip (3 days/2 nights, I think) in its own right, and really helps with the altitude on Kili.

I'd imagine some of the Arusha based companies are contable via email if you want to make contact before you go out, so yes, get a Lonely Planet guide or similar and see what you can find out. Likely to be cheaper than going through a UK company, and if you're out there anyway, not a lot of hassle to sort out.
 paget 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Jimmy1990:
Speak with Sam at gorillamountaineering.co.uk. . He'll give you some free advice, point you in the right direction.
Post edited at 21:06
Jimmy1990 30 Mar 2014
Spot on guys. Really appreciate this help!!Thank you all lots! I will feedback the progress I make in organising it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...