UKC

tablet screen replacement

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lost1977 17 Apr 2014
gone and cracked the screen on my nexus 7 (1st gen) really would rather get it repaired rather than get a new tablet (all my digital currency trading stuff is on there).
if anyone can suggest somewhere i can get it fixed (its not a job i'm happy trying myself) it would be appreciated
 Tall Clare 17 Apr 2014
In reply to lost1977:

Try Wilkie14C on here. Alternatively, it turns out it's not that tricky to replace them yourself - Mr TC has just replaced the screen on his son's Samsung Galaxy tab after said son discovered that leaning with all one's weight on the screen doesn't provide the best outcome...
 Neil Williams 17 Apr 2014
In reply to lost1977:

You should be able to get stuff off it very easily by using a USB cable to a PC if the screen isn't replaceable viably. And most apps work online anyway, don't they?

Neil
 wilkie14c 17 Apr 2014
In reply to lost1977:

The Nexus has the outer glass screen, digitizer and LCD bonded together and the only option is to fit a complete unit. It isn't as bad as it sounds though with the new screen unit coming it at 40 quid (ebay)and it being fairly easy to do as long as you don't have sausage fingers!

youtube.com/watch?v=OtIFkIKtYf8&
OP lost1977 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

its more the inconvenience i have the tablet set up perfectly for making music on the move and trading digital currencies
OP lost1977 17 Apr 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

thanks for that
 kathrync 17 Apr 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

You don't happen to know anything about replacing the screen on a Samsung series 9 Ultrabook do you??
 wilkie14c 17 Apr 2014
In reply to kathrync:

Only that they are expensive! I've not had the pleasure yet and at this price I prob never will!

item number - 331080190844
£140.00

kathrync 17 Apr 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Thanks! It was the part number I wanted - I was trying to find the cost, but I couldn't work out how to open the unit to look at it

At that price, I probably won't bother as the damage I have is minimal. It might even be fixable (little bright lines that look like creases?).

Anyway, now I'm musing to myself - thanks for the information!
 wilkie14c 17 Apr 2014
In reply to kathrync:

No prob, happy to help all comers if home repair is viable!
 hokkyokusei 17 Apr 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

> The Nexus has the outer glass screen, digitizer and LCD bonded together and the only option is to fit a complete unit. It isn't as bad as it sounds though with the new screen unit coming it at 40 quid (ebay)and it being fairly easy to do as long as you don't have sausage fingers!

We just fixed three in the office. The hard part is getting the old screen out of the bezel, but a hair drier and patience is the key. The rest is easy.
 Indy 17 Apr 2014
In reply to lost1977:

Buy a new one. I broke mine about a year ago and its remained in a draw ever since. It's crazy expensive to repair compared to a new on.
OP lost1977 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Indy:
how did you work that out? if i can pick up the replacement part for about £40 and do it myself that is a lot cheaper than a new tablet
Post edited at 19:38
 wilkie14c 17 Apr 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Yea I often have to use a heat gun, just to soften the glue, have to be really careful on plastic cases!
OP lost1977 17 Apr 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

i guess if it comes to it i could even replace the bezel and it would still be cheaper than a new tablet.
 wilkie14c 17 Apr 2014
In reply to lost1977:

It wont come to that mate, just take your time, feel the force luke

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...