UKC

Tommy Godwin Challenge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 09 May 2014
Anyone fancy attempting the Tommy Godwin Challenge?

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/tommygodwin205/
I'd tempted but don't really fancy doing it alone...

Probably just cycle York down to London or something, that seems like it wouldn't be too difficult.
 tim000 09 May 2014
In reply to Richard Carter:

not the original challenge then . tommy did that every day for a year .amazing.

http://www.tommygodwin.com/
 Brass Nipples 09 May 2014
In reply to tim000:

> not the original challenge then . tommy did that every day for a year .amazing.

The original is being attempted next year, all being well.
 balmybaldwin 10 May 2014
In reply to tim000:

Even more amazing is he kept going to 100,000 miles in 500 days. I believe this was some kind of prize for most miles ridden in a year, but he decided to be the first to set a 100,000 mile record. He couldnt uncurl his hands when he finished!
In reply to Orgsm:

> The original is being attempted next year, all being well.

But will it be on the same sort of equipment? Even the most basic modern road bike is light years ahead in terms of technology compared to when Tommy rode.
 DaveHK 11 May 2014
In reply to Orgsm:
> (In reply to tim000)

>
> The original is being attempted next year, all being well.

Any more details?

Brass Nipples 11 May 2014
In reply to DaveHK:
> Any more details?

Take a look on the Godwin site and see who keeps popping up. He's in the planning stages at the moment. Well I say pop up,, he's only ridden the distance in a day 12 times so far.
Post edited at 23:50
 DaveHK 12 May 2014
In reply to Orgsm:

> Take a look on the Godwin site and see who keeps popping up. He's in the planning stages at the moment. Well I say pop up,, he's only ridden the distance in a day 12 times so far.

I don't see why you couldn't just have said 'Steven Abraham'.

I'm assuming that you could tell me more but then you'd have to kill me.
 Andy Hardy 12 May 2014

Interesting reading. Unbelievable riding and as a teetotal vegetarian with the name 'Godwin' perfect marketing for the internet age!
 Brass Nipples 12 May 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Thought you'd want to check yourself. There should be quite a few 205 or more days submitted by a few of us now were in the season for it.
 Brass Nipples 29 May 2014
Yeah first one done.
Post edited at 23:50
 VS4b 30 May 2014
In reply to Orgsm:

I'm having a go tomorrow! (Just one day!)

I'll have to have a go solo I guess. It's times like this I wish I lived somewhere flat like the South East :-P
 BigBrother 30 May 2014

Good to see this getting some publicity. These records were incredible achievements.

I find Walter Greaves the most amazing though, 45,383 miles on a 3 speed with only one arm! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Greaves_%28cyclist%29
 VS4b 30 May 2014

Welcome to the fens!
 BigBrother 30 May 2014

The women's record holder died just a couple of weeks ago http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/Record-breaking-cyclist-Bideford-care-ho...

Although it sounds as if the record was incidental to promoting the health benefits of cycling rather than the aim. Interview with her here http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/cycling-weekly/billie-fleming-happy-100th-bi...
 Brass Nipples 30 May 2014
In reply to VS4b:

> I'm having a go tomorrow! (Just one day!)

Nice one, let us know how it goes.
 Brass Nipples 30 May 2014
In reply to VS4b:

> Welcome to the fens!

Watch those headwinds, more vicious than any hill they can throw at you.
 sbc_10 31 May 2014
In reply to Orgsm:

> Welcome to the fens!
> ..more vicious than any hill they can throw at you.

The hills have eyes round those parts ::::0]
 VS4b 01 Jun 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

Didn't manage it . Rode cambridge to Hunstanton the looped east and cut over to spalding where a broke a spoke. Wheel was really wobbly and too late for a bike shop so rode back to kings Lynn and got the train. Cycled 150 miles, shame as it was going well, think the distance would have been fine. Certainly felt easier than the 80 miles round Yorkshire two weeks ago.

Will try again before the end of the summer.
 Rog Wilko 01 Jun 2014

Thanks for pointing this out - I enjoyed reading the story (which I'd vaguely heard of before) on the web site.
I come of a cycling family - my father was a lifelong cyclist and pre-war time triallist whose achievements culminated in winning the North Road 24 hr race a few weeks before the Second War broke out. I was fascinated to read about the Raleigh Record Ace bike because when I was in school my dad used to use one of those for his rounds as an insurance agent (he was The Man from the Pru!). Later, I used his old bike for hacking around in Brickhill Woods and similar places. Sadly, I think it got left in the cellar when we moved house - never thought it was worth anything!
 Brass Nipples 01 Jun 2014
In reply to VS4b:

> Didn't manage it . Rode cambridge to Hunstanton the looped east and cut over to spalding where a broke a spoke. Wheel was really wobbly and too late for a bike shop so rode back to kings Lynn and got the train. Cycled 150 miles, shame as it was going well, think the distance would have been fine. Certainly felt easier than the 80 miles round Yorkshire two weeks ago.

> Will try again before the end of the summer.

Bad luck, and good luck for your next attempt. Spokes break rarely but when they do and you don't have a spare it can be the end if ride time. 32 or 36 spoke you can often continue if just a single spoke gone. Take a look at fibre fix spokes for on the toad fixes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...