UKC

any members on here of the Leeds mountaineering club?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mc2006 03 Jun 2014
I'm just wondering if there is any members of LMC on here and what you think of it?

I am thinking of maybe joining it.

Mike
 heghedush 03 Jun 2014
In reply to mc2006:

Wasn't aware there was one in Leeds so thanks for pointing it out.
Might contact them about joining as well.
OP mc2006 03 Jun 2014
In reply to heghedush:

Yes its quite big I believe. They meet in a pub in the centre once a week I think, I might pop down and see what its like.
 damowilk 04 Jun 2014
In reply to mc2006:

I'm a former member, was a good club when last I was in it.
Appears they meet at a different pub and night from what I was about to tell you before checking, so best have a read here instead.
 spragglerocks 04 Jun 2014
In reply to mc2006:
Hi Mike
I'm a member of LMC. We hold a new members social once a week - tends to move around so as others have said check the website for details. It's normally the first Tuesday of the month (so it was yesterday).

Normal climbing nights are Leeds Wall on a Tuesday and then an outdoor meet on a Wednesday during the summer and there is often a big group at the depot or city bloc on a Thursday. Tonight's meet is nominally Almscliff however given the weather forecast a few people are suggesting going tomorrow instead. There is a weekend meet at Stanage this weekend too. I won't be around but if you want to be put in touch via email with someone who will then pm me.

Thanks
Rachael
Post edited at 15:08
 SteveM 04 Jun 2014
In reply to mc2006:

In reply to heghedush:

Hi both

Yes, there's a few LMC members on UKC. The club also has its own bulletin board for arranging evening meets & weekends away. I've been a member for a good 10 years or so now.

Regular evenings include Tuesday nights at Leeds wall each week, followed by a pub social once a month for new members. We were previously in the Palace but are experimenting with other venues so check the website for details.

In the summer we also do a regular Wednesday evening outdoors at various crags around Yorkshire. There's also regulars at the Depot and CityBloc (habitually on a Thursday). The website has a full meets list, all the usual places included at a variety of huts and also with camping meets included.

It's not just climbing though, we also have regular MTB and walking trips arranged.

Please come along - contact details are on the website http://leedsmc.org like he said...

Cheers
Steve M
OP mc2006 04 Jun 2014
In reply to SteveM: and spragglerocks.

Ok thanks I will look into it. I am only a novice when it comes to climbing, I have mainly experience of walking and scrambling but wanting to get my climbing skills built up.

Cheers
 spragglerocks 04 Jun 2014
In reply to SteveM:

ha ha...great minds buddy. Clearly you aren't working hard enough today!
 heghedush 05 Jun 2014
In reply to mc2006:

Tried registering on the bulletin board but haven't had an administrator validate my account yet.
Does the group do winter climbing trips as well? I'm looking to get as much experience as I can in that before next year.
 spragglerocks 05 Jun 2014
In reply to heghedush:

Hi, I think you have to be a member to be able to register on the bulletin board so that may be why. If you use the contact us form: http://leedsmc.org/contact-us your query will go to the right person on the committee.

The general approach is come and have beer or climb see if you like the club then join as an aspirant (pretty cheap) and come on some meets. Once people get to know you then at the appropriate meeting you'll get accepted as a full member.

In answer to your other question then yes there is usually a winter meet or two - lots of keen mountaineers. There's an Alps meet in July - this year it's Ailefroide and there are winter meets planned for Jan and Feb 2015, Glencoe and Cairngorms both catered for.

Come and have a pint!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...