UKC

Tents Using Trekking Poles (instead of normal poles)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 teddy_simmon 06 Jun 2014

Morning All

Looking around there seems to be a few tents out there that have started to use trekking poles as a means of support. Has anyone used any and are there any that people recommend without a massive price tag!!

Thanks for your thoughts

Matt
Post edited at 11:53
 keepguessing 06 Jun 2014
In reply to teddy_simmon:

Use a tarp.
 Jim Walton 06 Jun 2014

With regards to the massive price, can I assume you are referring to hilleberg tents
 Kai 06 Jun 2014

Nemo Meta 2P Works very well.
 aliander7 06 Jun 2014

I have quite regularly used this type of shelter(MLD Trailstar, a Solomid,a Patrol shelter and a Golite SL2) for the last few years in Scotland in 3 seasons and with caution even in winter,and they do work well. I wouldn't want to use them without an inner net, for midges and stuff. In most cases inners are being sold separately- and hard enough to source- something to consider regarding the overall cost.

With a bit of patience you can find second hand MLD shelters on outdoorsmagic or ebay, or probably cheaper, something like a Golite Shangri-La 2 or 3. There's two online shops I can think of that will probably have what is currently available in the UK, probably not much as it's more an American thing, but I think there's a company now that copies the Golite shelters after they withdrew from the European market.
 pec 06 Jun 2014

Mountain equipment make one here:
http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/ar-ultralight-2
In the days before bendy pole tents, before you were born, transverse ridge tents were popular as they offered lots of internal space and huge porch areas at a pretty low weight. They do however have a very large surface area to catch the wind, supported only by 2 poles so they are really only for 3 season use. Where strength was more important, longitudinal ridge tents, especially ones with A poles were used.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...