UKC

Torridon Bouldering July

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phildavies84 08 Jun 2014
Looks like I'm going to around Torridon for a week in early July. Being Southern and unaccustomed to the ways of the Scottish Midges, could someone tell me, weather permitting, how bad the Midges are likely to be? Also looking for suggestions for problems up to about V6. Thanks.
 pebblespanker 09 Jun 2014
In reply to phildavies84:

Probably grim if it's like the East coast but you need a West coast local to advise, I'm on the east coast and its none too clever on our side for the little buggers in July, purgatory at times in fact. One of those fine mesh mozzy hoods may be de rigeur if you are determined plus plenty of replellent. Hope for dry weather with a strong breeze to disperse them as much as possible
 CurlyStevo 09 Jun 2014

They are often not too bad if it's sunny or windy and are worse at dawn and dusk. On an overcast still day they'll be out all the time.
 Jon Stewart 09 Jun 2014

Torridon is midge capital of the universe. If there's no breeze, you're f^cked.
 Wally 09 Jun 2014

I was there yesterday and have been in July also. Provided it's sunny (good luck) and windy (likely, but not a certainty) you should be fine. The Torridon boulders are great....some classic problems - look on the crag finder.

I wouldn't expect a lovely evening climbing and chilling when bouldering though. Midge's can completely ruin a day!!.....having said that Torridon is great!!
 andrew ogilvie 09 Jun 2014
I'm afraid that the midges can be truly atrocious in Torridon, even by Highland standards however it is undoubtedly one of the best areas in the country for climbing and walking.Great hillwalking all round and superb country for a bike too road or off road.
Don't forget the relatively nearby boulders at Kishorn, which might be a wee bit breezier too.
OP phildavies84 09 Jun 2014

Thanks for the advice. Fingers crossed for warm windy weather by the looks of things.
 CurlyStevo 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I've bouldered there before on sunny still days and not got bit during the middle of the day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...