UKC

Tendon question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pewtle 11 Jun 2014
Hey folks,

Got a question for the collective wisdom of the forums - I've recently got back into climbing (predominantly bouldering)over the last 4 months or so after about 5 years off the rock. I'm up to the point now where I tend to climb 2 to 3 times a week depending on how I'm feeling. I'm pretty happy with where I am, climbing v3s comfortably and v4s after a bit of projecting.

Recently I've got this ache in the tips of my fingers when i make a crimp shape with my hand, that hangs around for 2-3 days and goes away when I warm up and start climbing. Is this something I should care about, or just stop whinging and get on with it? Just want to avoid the dreaded tendon injury!
pasbury 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Pewtle:

Are you gripping open handed or crimped all the time?
OP Pewtle 11 Jun 2014
Pasbury - I tend towards a mix of open / crimp to be honest - I try and avoid full thumb over crimps though as I find they just feel like I'm crushing my hand.

Thanks for the link mh - thats useful.
 CMcBain 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Pewtle:

Tips of your fingers seems like a strange place for a pulley/tendon injury to manifest, are you sure the pain isn't from wearing down the skin on your finger tips (this happens to me a fair bit, particularly if climbing more than 3 times per week)?
OP Pewtle 11 Jun 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

Tips is probably a bit misleading - I mean in the last joint in the fingers, it kind of feels like an internal joint ache.

Thanks for the advice so far folks, much appreciated

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...