UKC

Orthotics for runners.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ste Brom 15 Jul 2014
I can't take it any more.
I'm on the verge of shelling out £250 for a pair of orthotic insoles.

Anyone got a pair, and do you rate them?
 Neil Williams 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:
I've played with Superfeet for running (orange ones a bit bouncier than green) and I get on with them in flat-ish shoes but not so much in higher profile shoes where the raise is a bit much and tends to result in blisters under the arch of my foot.

Neil
Post edited at 15:43
 rogersavery 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

what issue are you trying to solve?
 DNS 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

I've a pair (actually three pairs as once they're moulded and fitted it's inexpensive for duplicates). Initially they helped a great deal with over-pronantion and consequent plantar fascitis (spelling??) - they still do, but I've become more relient on them over time. I'd really struggle without them now.
 Welsh Kate 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

I can't remember how much I forked out for custom orthotic insoles, but at the time I felt they were worth every penny since they fairly quickly resolved some serious lower back problems; certainly well over £100, and that was about 7 years ago and I subsequently managed to get pairs provided through the NHS. They're not as neat or the same quality as the ones I paid for but at least they're free!
 tony 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

I had a pair made by a podiatrist in Edinburgh, to address a very specific problem of metatarsalgia. I haven't had a recurrence of the problem since I got them, and they don't seem to have any downside to them.
Ste Brom 15 Jul 2014
In reply to rogersavery:

Went to the physio after suffering screaming MTSS and calves for the past 8 mths, just got sick of it.
 Andrew Lodge 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

Be very careful to make sure you are getting something custom made and if at all possible get them from an orthotist rather than a podiatrist.

All an orthotist does is orthotics, for a podiatrist it is a sideline, you can judge who is likely to be best at it. That is not to say all podiatrists are rubbish, far from it, some are very good but equally I have had a lot of patients show me orthotics they have paid over £300 for that are off the shelf devices that retail for less than £30. I understand everyone has to make a living but some prices are nothing short of a rip off.
 wbo 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:
You would be advised to find out how they're going to fix your problem - what are they changing, limiting. My personal opinion of them is pretty low - everyone i know with them is just as crocked As they were without
Post edited at 19:13
 Ridge 16 Jul 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:
I shelled out a similar sum maybe 3 years ago after having Achilles problems that just wouldn't go away. I was on the verge of having to quit running completely. Took a while to get used to, but made a tremendous difference. As others up thread have said, get a proper custom made pair and they are, in my opinion, well worth the money.
Ferret 16 Jul 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

Sounds like a lot. Hard to compare though.... I use FASIC in Edinburgh (the University sports science/physio place). They have podiatrists that I have been happy with. Consultation is about £40 I think, and they check all sorts of stuff and recommend exercise etc as required... Orthotics themselves are about £120, carbon fibre, custom made etc. When prescription needs changed or they get too worn its about £40 to 60 (memory) to get them refurbished to new spec.

Worth their weight - I wear them constantly, find them comfy, find my knee issues are resolved and they allow me to buy pretty much any 'neutral' running shoes without worry as I know the orthotic will correct the shoe, rather than trying to find the shoe that precisely fits me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...