UKC

Edinburgh Climbing Walls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 snacks 20 Jul 2014
Hey everyone, I'm moving up to Edinburgh in September, just wondering if anyone can recommend any climbing walls in the city, ideally bouldering walls. Any other information regarding climbing, crags or anything of the sort in the area would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Olly
 Adam Lincoln 20 Jul 2014
In reply to ollykeeling:

There is only Alien rock, and Alien rock 2. Alien rock 2 being only bouldering and Alien 1 being mostly leading and a tiny bit of bouldering.

Ratho is a 15min drive out of town, and is the best leading wall in the country, if not the world. The bouldering is very average. Its cold in winter, and warm in summer.

Not much else in the way of decent outdoor climbing nearby. An hour away you get places like Dumbarton and Dunkeld, and such like. Northumberland is an 1 and a half away.

Anything else you need to know?
OP snacks 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Cheers Adam, I had previously scoped out the Alien Walls, the boulder wall looks like it has a fair amount of good stuff but not heaps. Checked out Ratho, it does look really impressive, maybe have to get back into leading!

Im currently living in Newcastle so familiar with Northumberland crags, which have loads to offer, never been out to Dumbarton or Dunkeld. Is there a big community for getting out climbing/bouldering? would love to get out as much as possible really.

punkpunk 21 Jul 2014
In reply to ollykeeling:

If you are on Facebook search for EBC (Edinburgh Bouldering Community)
 lynda 21 Jul 2014
In reply to ollykeeling:

Alien Rock 2 as mentioned above is really good for bouldering; I'm surprised you say there isn't heaps there.

Glasgow has a branch of the Climbing Academy (TCA), which is phenomenal for bouldering.

OP snacks 21 Jul 2014
In reply to ollykeeling:

Not actually been to Alien 2 just from looking at the website and what not, doesnt seem as big as other bouldering walls, but Lynda if you say there a lot to do there ill take your word.

Punkpunk, was unable to find EBC on facebook for some reason, reckon you can send a link?

Cheers
 Maragmhòraix 21 Jul 2014
Dunkeld page shows only two boulder problems and John Watson's guide has no info on Dunkeld. Not what I call a decent venue. Is there any secret bouldering venue in Dunkeld?

In reply to ollykeeling:

I'm sure you already had a chance to look at the various Edinburgh bouldering venues detailed on UKclimbing. None of them are great but Salisbury crags' s worth mentioning. It hasn't got much but the rock is sound and the place is really nice. Agassiz rock's also good enough if you're based in the city: the rock isn't great but it's got an overhang and provides a bit of fun on sunny days.

Hope to see you around
Post edited at 18:54
 Adam Lincoln 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Pierre Fuentes:

Where do i mention bouldering at Dunkeld? He said 'climbing'

Maragmhòraix 21 Jul 2014

He did.

I was only hoping there was another big bouldering venue I did not know of. Oh well...
 Burnsie 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Pierre Fuentes:

Think there is probably a bit of bouldering to be done at dunkeld for those with a brush and eye for a line. Decent venues are so fashionable these days ...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...