UKC

Starting off in Somerset

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Guy Millar 25 Jul 2014
Hi everyone, it's good to be part of the group. I haven't climbed in maybe 14 years and back then, was led by a very experienced friend of mine. I am looking at getting back into the sport and would like to get up to a standard to be able to lead on both trad and sport to a decent standard. I'll be starting off from scratch again and would be grateful if anyone could tell me what courses to do to progress to this level? And if they know of any in Somerset?

Thanks,

Guy.
 beardy mike 26 Jul 2014
In reply to Guy Millar:

It's worth considering:

a) Joining a club
b) Finding partners on here who are willing to help
c) Reading all the books you can lay your hands on, getting the kit and practicing at a local crag at low height until you know the systems and then just doing it - it's not REALLY that hard...
d) if you still don't feel confident hire an instructor, or hire an instructor anyway who will be able to tailor a session specifically to you. If you already know the knots, how to clip an extender, roughly how you place protection, a few techniques for building an anchor etc. they will be able to accelerate the course drastically so you get more out of it. General courses are OK but often you cover ground which you may already know plenty about...

I would offer to help, but I'm so snowed under with work at the moment it would be too difficult to find the time... what part of Somerset are you in?
Guy Millar 26 Jul 2014
In reply to mike kann:

Hi Mike,

thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. I haven't climbed for quite some time so have pretty much forgotten all I got taught. I would need to start with the basics again, the things that you mentioned. I am overseas at the minute but moving back to Somerset soon, more precisely North Petherton. I will be getting some books to start when back and at the moment, just looking for people who don't mind taking me along for the day and letting me help and climb in any way. I've joined a local Taunton based climbing group on FB and am hoping to recruit two of my good friends to come too.

Cheers,

Guy.
 beardy mike 26 Jul 2014
In reply to Guy Millar:

Well a good starting place on the leading road is to look at sport climbing, simply because the gear placement element is eradicated. From your new base you are a short drive from Cheddar so you have a plethora of decent mid grade sports routes and some easier grades too. It means that with limited equipment and knowledge you can get onto the rock and start climbing. There are some easier routes there so seek them out and start off with that. You could easily learn what you need to learn to be safe in a day and it will get you stronger and more agile for trad climbing. Then once you feel confident with the climbing aspects of the game, then move on to trad. Again there's stackloads to go at and you are well placed for escapes to the southwest and north to the Wye Valley, Bristol, South Wales, the south coast plus more.

If you go to any climbing wall (UCR or Redpoint for leading) you will be able to learn much of what you need from an instructor there and they also do courses if that's the route you want to take. Try Maresia (Ben Ashley) who is an SPA who works at Red Point - I'm sure he can help you...
Guy Millar 26 Jul 2014
In reply to mike kann:

Thanks Mike. Yeah, Cheddar is very close. I'm going to do a weekend with a good friend of mine, who is a very experienced instructor, just to get back into the swing of things and to get to grips with the basics again. I think I will opt for the sports side of things first, as you suggested, and then get into the trad when I feel confident enough with the basics again. I'll keep Ben in mind when looking at courses. I'm really looking forward to getting back into it!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...