UKC

Flat ish 60 miler in southern Lakes ???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Newbuild100 19 Sep 2014

I am going to the southern Lakes at the weekend and I will be taking my road bike with me. Can any of you guys local to the area give me an idea where to go for a flat 60/70 mile route at all ? I realise "flat" is a relative term in cumbria but as I'm from lincolnshire, you will realise that I don't want to go near any of the bigger hills/passes. I will be near staying her Lindale by the way. Thanks in advance.
Post edited at 11:48
 Bob 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

Since I grew up close to Lindale (assume you mean the one near Grange over Sands) here's my take.

Head up the Winster valley to Bowland Bridge, then Crook, Ings, back road to Troutbeck, up to Ambleside, Clappersgate, almost to Hawkshead then across towards Coniston but follow east side of lake to Spark Bridge, Bouth, Haverthwaite, Holker, Cark, Cartmel and back to Lindale.

Not sure on the exact mileage but it will be around 60 miles and with the exception of the bit from Troutbeck to Ambleside is on back roads.
 Escher 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

Have you got a Garmin?
 Escher 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

Assuming you do, here's a 70 miler around that area. The roads over towards Sedbergh and the Howgills are really nice. I ride the roads in this area all the time, can come up with more if you need alternatives or prefer lanes/backroads to main roads. This route is mainly back roads, the main roads are relatively quiet. Can send you a gpx/tcx file if you do have a Garmin.

http://www.strava.com/routes/967397
OP Newbuild100 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Escher:

Thanks so far guys, i appreciate it. I don't have a Garmin although I do use strava. Im currently looking at the route suggested above but will consider anything that looks favourable. (this is all in readiness for a sportive over the Forest of Bowland area in about a months time by the way)
 Escher 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

Tough Trough Sportive? Know those roads well, there's nothing particularly on my route that matches those climbs but there are plenty nearby to Lindale. Strawberry Bank/Cartmel Fell, Gummers Howe, Bigland Hill, Underbarrow/Scout Scar, Brigsteer Brow, Scotch Jeans are all within reach of Lindale, pretty stiff climbs some of them (you can certainly get to the Lakes passes too - not all of then are as bad as Hardknott and Wrynose).

Interested in any climbs similar to the Bowland ones? Are you happy with navigation on unknown roads, do you use a map?
 Bob 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Escher:

"Pretty stiff climbs" might just be an understatement for someone from Lincolnshire!! You could have added Tow Top for good measure as well
 Escher 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Bob:

Well yeah , Tow Top is horrible both for the steepness and the road surface (although it is unusually dry at the moment) so I left it out in place of horribleness with reasonable tarmac. But then I like climbing so perhaps I'm not the best person to recommend. My route above though has some lovely quiet roads and views and no nasty climbs, whilst being a masochist I'm not a sadist .
 Bob 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Escher:
I like climbing as well, I must be one of the few who prefers the steep side of Park Rash to Coverdale.

I grew up within a mile of Tow Top so know it well. There's a short steep lane up from Thorphinsty Hall as well that's worth doing.
Post edited at 14:31
 Escher 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Bob:

Think I've done that one too. I'm a southerner by birth but now live in Bolton le Sands and I have to say I adore the area between Levens and Bowness and Kendal. So many hidden nooks and crannies, often go for walks around there and rarely see a soul. If I ever win the lottery I'd love to buy a house down a secret lane somewhere on Cartmel Fell. Very beautiful without the Lakeland honeypot hordes.
OP Newbuild100 20 Sep 2014
In reply to Escher:

Thanks very much to both you guys. Not being too up on modern technology, I will be relying on good old OS maps (tomorrow) for the ride. Yes, it is the "Tough Trough" I am doing. We do have some tough little climbs in lincolnshire but dare I say it, nothing as long as the one that leaves NW out of Lindale to the B5271for instance (and then worse by going left up hollow lane !!!). I realise this is nothing compared to the "Big Hills" around there mind. I haven't ridden the above by the way, just driven up it in the car.In old money, what are the steepest parts on the Sportive in October (i.e., 1:8 for instance) ?? Thanks again guys
 Bob 20 Sep 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

That's the line of the old A590! Well, not Hollow Lane.

I think there's some short sections of 1 in 5 on the climb to Jubilee Tower from Quernmore and on the way back over Tatham Fell. By short I mean less than 100 metres.
 jayme 20 Sep 2014
In reply to Escher:

I didn't realise that there are other Bolton le Sands folk on here.
 Escher 20 Sep 2014
In reply to Newbuild100: there's nothing quite as steep as 1:5 on Jubilee tower. There's a little bit of 17% at the first rise (sorry can't quite do old money ) but then there's a long ramp of 14% which is harder. Got to just take that steady, it's quite tough and goes on a bit. Once it's finished though, the climb hasn't but it's much easier from then on. Lots of time to recover. The trough climb is ok, as is the Boar Park climb. The climb from Waddington is very long, but only steep at the top, a bit of 15-17% at the top but it's the length really. As soon as you leave Waddington just pace yourself for a couple of miles. Then there's Cross of Greet (Tatham Fell), comes in three sections. After each try and recover on each downhill. The last is on open moor and should be easily identifiable. Not steep until the very last section, once it steepens up you know you just have to grind out the short section then you are done climbing on the route.

After Hornby the route will be changed. The road is closed after Hornby for a short section at the moment, they haven't noted that on their map. Won't mean extra climbing though. Good luck!

Escher 20 Sep 2014
In reply to jayme: well there's at least us two! Don't do much climbing anymore though, except on my bike. We follow each other on Strava, I'm RS.

OP Newbuild100 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Escher:

Well, I guess "Flat" is a relative term indeed. I kind of stuck to the route described above, but took one or two deviations (missed turnings a few times and got caught up chasing others. You know what its like !). The hardest climb was the one out of Hawkshead up to Grisedale. 55 miles was the total in the end, but as flatlander, that was enough for a mid 50 year old ! Normally my average MPH at home is 17 ish, yesterday was 14. Looking forward to the Tough Trough now. Thanks again guys.
 Bob 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

Yes, that hill's a bit of a pull.

14mph isn't a bad average if you aren't used to hills.
OP Newbuild100 19 Oct 2014
In reply to Bob:

Anyone off here do the Tough Trough yesterday then ??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...