UKC

NEW REVIEW: Black Diamond Vertical (BDV) Jacket and Pants

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 24 Oct 2014
Phil Ebert looking up Engineers Crag, Buchaille Etive More, 4 kbPhil Ebert tests out the BDV Jacket and Pants from Black Diamond.

"Given that many soft-shell jackets are now often pitched against hard-shell jackets, it is worth emphasising that the BDV is not in the market to compete with hard-shell jackets. Rather, it is solidly on the “light and stretchy” spectrum of the soft-shell range."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6784

AlanLittle 24 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

I bought the jacket a couple of months ago; was looking for something more robust than a pertex shell for cooler multipitch rock climbing. Seems pretty much perfect for the job so far.

I tried on lots and lots of softshell jackets in various fabrics, this one seemd to have the best cut and fabric. The Patagonia Simple Guide was the other strong contender that emerged from my extensive "try it on in the shop" testing.
 webding 26 Oct 2014
WTF!! £160!!!

Look on the BD website, its 107.40 USD or £66.76 GBP.
http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/mens-jackets-shells/b.d.v.-jacket-APM4R...

BnB 26 Oct 2014
In reply to webding:

> WTF!! £160!!!

> Look on the BD website, its 107.40 USD or £66.76 GBP.

£66 for a lightweight softshell looks like good value. I've pretty much lived in a Rab Boreas (even cheaper, albeit more of a windshield) over a base layer tee for cragging and multipitch from March to September this year and I find the combination very comfortable. Occasionally I need to throw a featherweight windshield outer over the top but that's about it. I guess the BD item is a bit of a 1.5 layer system in comparison and good for shoulder season use.
 TobyA 26 Oct 2014
In reply to BnB:

> ... and good for shoulder season use.

Do you know what shoulder season means? It has never been completely clear to me when reading American websites. Currently, I'm in shoulder season because I've hurt my shoulder and its not going away!

BnB 26 Oct 2014
In reply to TobyA:
Sorry to hear about your shoulder. They can be a struggle to recover from. I understand it to mean spring and autumn because they fall (geddit) either side of the main seasons for outdoor activities, and with more mixed weather (for North America anyway).
 TobyA 26 Oct 2014
In reply to BnB:

Oh, ok! Actually my guess was it was more general, but sort of between seasons - not quite winter, not quite autumn, or not quite summer but not autumn... or really just another way of saying changeable weather.

Your explanation makes loads more sense though - otherwise there would be at least 8 possible shoulder seasons!

With my shoulder it clearly doesn't help that I like climbing more than I like warming up! Although we were doing some pretty arm intensive routes yesterday and it never hurts when climbing, just when in bed the next night.
 steveshaking 26 Oct 2014
In reply to webding:

Yes, if only. its like the exchange rate has been reversed. Obviously that's an American offer, but the full price doesn't translate well either. The rip off Britain has been to death already .... but you can see why.
 AlanLittle 26 Oct 2014
In reply to webding:

> WTF!! £160!!!

> Look on the BD website, its 107.40 USD or £66.76 GBP.

Eek. I certainly wouldn't have paid that for it. Got mine for 110 Euros, so about £85. Bear in mind US prices are always quoted without sales tax, so what I paid isn't far off the US price plus VAT.

I agree that the full prices quotes in Europe for gear imported from the US (oops, sorry, in this case imported from China on behalf of a US company) are often outrageous.

But - drifting dangerously back on topic - if you can find it a reasonable price this is a good bit of kit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...