UKC

Opinions on Goretex active shell or similar?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 15 Nov 2014
Looking to buy a highly breathable waterproof jacket if such a thing exists, Ive been happy with Gore tex pro shell (2008 model) for general mountain use, but that jacket is a bit big for running / cycling.
Ive had bad experiences with pertex either being a sweat bag (shield) or not being waterproof (microlight).

Suggestions, opinions, advice welcomed.
 BnB 15 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Neoshell is more breathable and still waterproof. I find all the lightweight fabrics to which they bond any membranes rather flimsy, but that isn't the fault of the membrane and if it's for running and walking not a problem.
 TobyA 15 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> Ive had bad experiences with pertex either being a sweat bag (shield) or not being waterproof (microlight).

Normal pertex isn't meant to be waterproof - I think only Pertex shield is designed to be waterproof. Personally I don't find anything breathable enough for cycling for anything else than short periods on the flat. I'm currently using the 20 quid decathlon cycling jacket - it's got some vents in it and is a bit breathable - if its not raining hard I won't wear it though, but if it is it's just fantastic for £19.99! But you just accept that while it will keep the rain out, you'll get sweaty inside.

I sweat even more running, can't imagine any waterproof that I wouldn't get sweaty in.

So mainly for cycling I'll wear just a windproof/showerproof jacket or even more often a gillet. But if it's raining hard, then I just accept I'll get sweaty and wear a cheap cycling waterproof.

OP The Potato 15 Nov 2014
In reply to TobyA:

thats what I do currently too, thanks
 Brass Nipples 15 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

I have a short sleeve active shell jacket for cycling, no pockets, no hood. It's great, and does the job at keeping the wet weather out. Breathes well enough but you'll still get a little damp from sweat when working hard.
 MtnGeekUK 15 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:
Have a TNF Alpine Project jacket for sale. Men's XL, in Gore Active Shell. PM if you want more info and photos.
Post edited at 17:13
OP The Potato 15 Nov 2014
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

thanks but im a medium!
 nathan79 15 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:

> Neoshell is more breathable and still waterproof.

This. To be fair I only have neoshell trousers, but if the jackets are as good (and I'd imagine they are) then neoshell is the solution for the OP.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...