UKC

Logging auto belay routes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lucas95 10 Dec 2014
Hi

Not sure if this has been asked before.

Due to a lack of a climbing partner l find myself using auto belays to bag routes. If l want to log these towards my CWA award do l put them down as leads or top routes and put auto belay in the comments section.

Where l can, l climb with a bit of tat rope so that l can practise clipping and you can't stop for a breather and let the rope take your weight.

Just wonder where people stood on this, or am l opening a huge ethics can of worms.

Cheers.

petegunn 10 Dec 2014
In reply to lucas95:
For my classes that log routes for their NICAS award they log their entries as "Top Rope" when using the auto belays, even if on occasion, they pretend to lead the routes with a rope for practice.
Post edited at 15:14
 jkarran 10 Dec 2014
In reply to lucas95:

> Just wonder where people stood on this, or am l opening a huge ethics can of worms.

Massive can of ethics worms.

Since the rope is always above you I think you could quite reasonable call it a top rope.
jk
Post edited at 15:20
 climbwhenready 10 Dec 2014
In reply to lucas95:

Top rope, surely? It's definitely not a lead.
 Niall 10 Dec 2014
In reply to lucas95:

It's an Autopoint.
 jezb1 10 Dec 2014
In reply to lucas95:
> Just wonder where people stood on this, or am l opening a huge ethics can of worms.

The smallest can of ethical worms ever known to man...

It's a top rope.

OP lucas95 10 Dec 2014
In reply to jezb1:

I know the line goes up which means top rope, but, unlike a top rope, when you let go, you go down. Which differs from a top rope because if you let go, you stay put (unless you have a rubbish belayer).

My ethical can of worms was about false logging.

Think l'll just put auto belay in the box and leave it at that.
 jezb1 10 Dec 2014
In reply to lucas95:

Your assessor will not care whether a route is logged as a belayed top rope or an auto belay top rope.

Leading is obviously entirely different.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...