UKC

What Grade ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mrgleb 14 Dec 2014
At what grade can you say to people when asked in conversation " what hobbies do you have ", can you reply " I'm into rock climbing , it's great ! " Or do you have to be doing E4's ? Just asking.
 petestack 14 Dec 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

Any grade!
 sbc_10 14 Dec 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

Not a question of how far you can p1ss up a wall...or even climb up a wall, its whether you enjoy it and want to pass your limited time here on good ol'Earth by commiting to it.
I'm a scrambler, love doing it, I climb rocks albeit with massive holds and not much verticity....its like jogging and running marathons. Theres enjoyment out there for everyone.
 Jon Stewart 14 Dec 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

Grade's irrelevant.

I think it's just about enthusiasm - being dragged out by someone else once or twice when they do all the organising isn't being "into climbing" IMO. But getting out when you can, making an effort to go climbing rather than doing something else is. And I think going climbing indoors is being "into indoor climbing" no matter how good you are. Being "into rock climbing" means climbing rocks.
OP mrgleb 14 Dec 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

Thanks for the comments people.
I just love a good days out multi-pitch climbing in great locations. If I push myself I can do a VS or HVS and feel pleased with that. Just someone on another forum thread made a disparaging comment about ' VS climbers '.
 MischaHY 14 Dec 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

If you climb, and you like climbing, then that is what counts. Arbitrary grades are just a vague guide for personal progression and mean literally nothing to a bystander - As far as anyone else is concerned, you either climb, or you don't. Just climb and have fun, can't ask for more than that!
In reply to mrgleb:

E1 or V4 and above is climbing, below is hill walking and scrambling. And winter climbing.
 Valkyrie1968 14 Dec 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

Whenever I talk to someone about climbing I make sure to tell them what grades I've worked/redpointed/dogged/cried on, and what I've onsighted, for all disciplines; I also carry with me photocopies of Lito Tejada-Flores's 'Games Climbers Play' in case people at dinner parties or on the bus are unsure as to the difference between Alpine and Super-Alpine Climbing. This saves a lot of time as it ensures that people are able to afford me the respect I deserve, without according me too much.
Similarly, whenever I meet someone who claims to be 'into climbing' I very quickly ask if they climb outdoors. If they say no, I immediately fall to the ground in a fit of apoplexy and start screaming "WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN US STEVIE"; if they say yes, I of course ask them what they do. Boulderers receive a disparaging grunt, sport climbers a sigh; if they trad climb, they are of course asked what grade they climb at. If they answer HS or below I loudly ask them where their hexes are and tell them to learn how to work a route; VS-HVS receives a nod of approval; E1-E4 and I start playing with my hair and ask them if they need a partner; E5 and above and I generally try and contrive a way of stealing their mobile phone so as to obtain their contact information/address. If the interviewee claims to be interested in winter climbing I start shaking and tremulously ask if they've seen 'Distilled'; further than that, I dare not ask.
 Skipinder 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Valkyrie1968:

> If the interviewee claims to be interested in winter climbing I start shaking and tremulously ask if they've seen 'Distilled'; further than that, I dare not ask.

I find asking what they think to 'The Legend of Kinder' quite effective.

In reply to mrgleb:
Phew, so I'm ok calling myself a climber even though I'm only crushing up to 4+ at the moment? ( recovering from an injury)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...