UKC

Backing up to hudl's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chrisa87 25 Dec 2014

I'm going away on holiday and I'm expecting to take lots of photos. Does anyone know of a sd card reader that I will be able to connect to my hudl so I can make a back-up? The hudl looks like it has micro and mini USB slots that I can use and I have downloaded a file explorer app.

Cheers

Edit:
Or is it possible to use a standard USB SD card reader with a micro USB convertor?

(And merry Christmas everyone?)
Post edited at 19:25
interdit 25 Dec 2014
In reply to chrisa87:

OTG or On The Go cable will allow you to connect any USB device to the micro socket.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=micro+otg+cable#q=micro+otg+cable

You may or may not need to root the HUDL.

I've used one of these cables (cheap from Amazon) to read from a cheap USB card reader with my Nexus.
 rallymania 29 Dec 2014
In reply to interdit:

yep bang on! a USB OTG adapter allows your device to "host" other USB devices. it plugs into the devices USB port and presents a full sized USB socket to plug your card reader in.

a few points to add... i'm not sure if this has changed but my previous attempts to get a multicard reader working have always failed. but a simple one slot card reader should be fine. you could also transfer the files from your SD card onto the device, and then plug in a USB flash drive to back up the tablet copies too. again i don't think the hard drive based USB drives will work, but the solid state (non-encrypted) flash drives should be fine to use

depending on your camera, you may also be able to use the USB OTG connector and your camera's USB cable to convert the tablet into a screen / controller for the camera itself. (i have canon 600d and the dslr-controller app on my tablet which works a treat)
interdit 29 Dec 2014
In reply to rallymania:

> ... you could also transfer the files from your SD card onto the device, and then plug in a USB flash drive to back up the tablet copies too. again i don't think the hard drive based USB drives will work, but the solid state (non-encrypted) flash drives should be fine to use

Same in my experience. Flash drives are fine, but the tablet fails to provide enough power to run my hard drive (old laptop drive in a caddy) and it starts-stops-starts-stops continuously.
I've never tried a powered hard drive, mostly as those aren't much use in the circumstances where I need this sort of file transfer.

Eye-Fi card and app could also be a viable alternative to the OTG cable if just shooting jpeg, though this would only store the shot on the tablet. They would need to be backed up onto another media such as a flash drive.
SLR with 2 slots, one with SD/CF and one with Eye-Fi might work - still only jpeg though.

> depending on your camera, you may also be able to use the USB OTG connector and your camera's USB cable to convert the tablet into a screen / controller for the camera itself. (i have canon 600d and the dslr-controller app on my tablet which works a treat)

DslrDashboard on my nexus works well with my D5100. Not tried dslr-controller, though probably will give it a whirl when I have more time to play.
 ebygomm 29 Dec 2014
In reply to chrisa87:

Easiest would be to get a micro SD card and use that with a sd card adaptor in the camera. The hudl has a micro SD card slot.
 rallymania 30 Dec 2014
In reply to ebygomm:

i see where you are going with that but...

if you take the card out the camera and put it in the tablet, you can only copy a few GB of photo's onto the inbuilt memory before you run out of sapce on the hudl. you'd then need to take the camera card out and put in your "tablet" card to copy the photo's from the built in memory onto the "tablet" card.
then swap cards again to copy the next batch.

by using a card reader with an OTG adapater you can copy straight from the camera card to you tablet expansion card. saving a massive amount of time and faff.
if you were only wanting to view the images on a bigger screen than the camera then, yes your way would be faster, but as a back up method, the OTG way would be easier
 ebygomm 30 Dec 2014
In reply to rallymania:

my hudl has 16 gb internal storage,
 rallymania 30 Dec 2014
In reply to ebygomm:

well if it works for you that's great

what happens if you go for a weeks holiday and you shoot RAW? (i have a fairly basic DSLR the canon 600D) it's 18megapixels or there abouts. each photo's is about 22Mb in size.

even if you could use all 16gb (which would mean no OS or applications) that's about 700 photo's or maybe 30 mins video

that's not much

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...