UKC

Action Camera Mounting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 04 Feb 2015
Using a slightly modified helmet mounting I attached my Mobius Action Camera to my rucksack strap. Although it was fairly tightly attached it there was still more movement due to walking than I had hoped for. See youtube.com/watch?v=taw62XxxbtE&

Does anyone know of a satisfactory means of mounting an action camera?
OP FesteringSore 05 Feb 2015

Just found this. Anyone use them or similar?
http://www.dslrcameras.org/offers/img/birugear-universal-chest-strap-mount-...
Post edited at 11:25
 rallymania 05 Feb 2015
In reply to FesteringSore:

people bounce when they walk, try walking holding a cup of water and see how much it moves, even whe you are trying not to.

there's some things you could do to minimise it

... miniture steadicam stabilizer, but that will need to be handheld as the camera will tend to pan a little if not perfectly balanced
... stabilization software (basically repositions each frame slightly so that most of the image stays centralised but you'll need to crop the result as the edges jump about a bit
... record at 50/60fps and then slow the footage down, it'll take twice as long to play but the movement between each frame is half so it appears smoother (it's basically slow motion... you know the "power walk" scenes in movies, they are slight slowmotion to get that effect)

i'm sure there's others
 rallymania 05 Feb 2015

i use a chest strap when cycling a lot and it's a bit smoother than the helmet mount and you get to see a bit of the bike / rider which some people think looks more involving than just the trail / road in front,
 ChrisJD 05 Feb 2015

It's pretty hard to resolve.

Very tight chest strap - and that still shakes on the rough off-road stuff.

I've added extra padding to my GoPro chest strap set up to try and make it more stable.

The Mobius has been delivered,. Great compact unit - and 1080P footage seems very good compared with Hero3. Just got to mount it now.
In reply to rallymania:

> ... stabilization software (basically repositions each frame slightly so that most of the image stays centralised but you'll need to crop the result as the edges jump about a bit

Thanks. That's probably the easiest option and I've just tried it in movie maker. It has a good enough effect.
 rallymania 05 Feb 2015

it works best with a small amount of shake... if you run it might not do a good enough job, you'd need a proper stabilizer at that point
 ChrisJD 05 Feb 2015
In reply to rallymania:

> you'd need a proper stabilizer at that point

About 8" of travel should do it
 rallymania 05 Feb 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

nae, all that happens is you get the same amount of shake... you are just going about 20mph faster to get it
 Indy 05 Feb 2015
I have a Tiffen Merlin2 which is so smooth it glides, running, walking, stairs etc . Might be a bit pricey if your only using it for a Mobius Action cam though.

Looking at the vid you link to it has a slightly surreal edge to it have you done anything to it in edit?

Reading down a bit further I notice you've (or appear to have) done a Windows Movie Maker software Stabilise. My experience of these software stabilisers is that there great if you want a 720 res vid but ONLY if the original was shot at 2k. If you start and finish at the same resolution then software stabilisation looks horrible.
Post edited at 16:12
 rallymania 05 Feb 2015
In reply to Indy:

i was wondering if the effect you mentioned was due to ultra wide angle and a bit of jello rolling shutter?

completely agree about cropping the results of your footage, was going to add similar but got busy at work

Indy 05 Feb 2015
In reply to rallymania:

> i was wondering if the effect you mentioned was due to ultra wide angle and a bit of jello rolling shutter?

Hard to say but I don't think so as Jello cam is more associated with fast movement combined with the rolling shutter.
In reply to rallymania:

> i was wondering if the effect you mentioned was due to ultra wide angle
Did wonder that myself. I'm planning to get a standard lens - the mountains look too flat.
 ChrisJD 05 Feb 2015

I got the standard lens Mobius - seemed to be the one recommended on a few pages I saw.
 ChrisJD 11 Feb 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

Have to say how good the video quality of the Mobius Standard lens is at 1080P 30fps at high bit rate.

It's a tiny unit (without wproof case) and I have zipped tipped directly to top of my lid (with a bit of carpet underlay as cushion base). Gives rock solid platform.
 Pedro 15 Feb 2015

I am not sure if its true, but I heard that Shumacher's problem was the impact of the crash pushed the camera or camera mount through his helmet. It may make you think about your choice.
Regards Pedro
 ChrisJD 15 Feb 2015
In reply to Pedro:

That's pointless worrying.

If you are 'that' worried , you wouldn't be doing adventure sports in the first place.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...