UKC

Wearing rings at climbing walls - why not more warning signs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Shapeshifter 16 Feb 2015
A while back I did a mountain First Aid course and the instructor said, one of the more serious climbing injuries he regularly heard of, was serious ring finger skin sheath tears, where a climber (usually at a wall), had slipped off a handhold, whilst wearing a ring, the ring had caught on a projecting part of a hold as the climber was falling and the ring had then torn all or part of the climber's finger skin sheath off the finger bones.

If you don't know what I mean, there is an image here, but BE WARNED IT'S NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH!

http://cdn2.cagepotato.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/77147_609471032415291...

At most walls there are signs warning about knot checking, belay style and not bouldering in harnesses, but I regularly see climbers wearing wedding rings (not taped over) and if you mention the risk, some people just look at you like you are daft. Perhaps it's no big deal, but seems like the BMC should include not wearing or taping over rings on their climbing wall best practice posters.

Just wondered what others, particularly instructors or wall staff thought?
 tim000 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Shapeshifter:
always take mine off

probably because they type of person who would keep their ring on while climbing is the type of person who would ignore such warnings....
 marsbar 16 Feb 2015

Its a fair point.
OP Shapeshifter 16 Feb 2015
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

The thing is they might take it a bit more seriously, if it was a bit more high profile on signs or wall staff were a bit more hot on it, rather than some old fart like me wondering up and tactfully trying to tell them it's a good idea to take the ring off.
 David Barlow 16 Feb 2015

I've always wondered about this too: I occasionally warn people about not wearing rings too.
 girlymonkey 16 Feb 2015

I'm not convinced taping it would really do much good, I think it could still get caught.
I do warn people of the risk of climbing in rings (I work in a wall), but many choose to ignore it if they have been climbing for a while. In reality, I have never seen any incident involving rings. Maybe I have just been lucky.
I guess some people can no longer get their wedding rings off, so decide to risk it. Then because they get away with it, they think it's safe?
In reply to girlymonkey:

To be fair I've never seen this kind of injury actually happen, whereas I have seen people get dropped by belayers, tie in incorrectly, back clip QDs etc etc, but it just seems loads of people are not aware of the potential risk and it's an easy one to address.
 kingholmesy 16 Feb 2015

> probably because they type of person who would keep their ring on while climbing is the type of person who would ignore such warnings....

I don't think this is the explanation. Instead I think people are simply unaware of the risk. When I see people wearing rings it's generally beginners / inexperienced climbers.

I sometimes point out the dangers, but am frequently ignored. Wall staff should be more proactive IMO, and would presumably be listened to more.
 girlymonkey 16 Feb 2015
In reply to kingholmesy:

I'm afraid not. I find that novices listen, but more experienced climbers just look at you like you are an idiot and carry on as before! Not just on the rings front, but bad belaying etc too. Not everyone, obviously, but it does happen. You have to be so careful how you word things to not offend people (I had to correct someone's belaying the other week, and phrased it that it was me being paranoid, and I'm sure he was under control with it, etc, but could he do it just to stop me being paranoid!)
 drolex 16 Feb 2015

We have a nice word for that in French, it's called "dégantage" (ungloving?), which explains very well what happens when your ring gets caught. Google it once and you will never forget to take your ring off again.
 girlymonkey 16 Feb 2015
In reply to drolex:

degloving is the English word for it. I find you don't even need to google it, the word provokes the imagination well enough usually!
 LastBoyScout 16 Feb 2015

My wedding ring is slightly loose on me, especially when it's cold, so I tend not to wear it for many things I do, either because it digs in or might slip off, quite apart from damaging it/me.

I've got a silicone one I sometimes wear in it's place - http://www.saferingz.com/
In reply to girlymonkey:

> degloving is the English word for it. I find you don't even need to google it, the word provokes the imagination well enough usually!

Just had a quick check on the BMC site - can't find anything about this kind of finger injury (just the usual pulley injury stuff) - certainly couldn't find anything about degloving.

You'd think this is just the kind of thing they'd have in Summit magazine
 john arran 16 Feb 2015

"Mr. Climbing Facility Operator," began the counsel for the plaintiff, "I see you have many signs in place to alert your users to potential dangers of using your facility: Check your knot. Stand close to the wall when belaying. Don't wear rings. Only use an approved belay device. Don't climb with gear on your harness. The list goes on...

"Would it not then be perfectly reasonably for my client to assume, in the absence of a sign alerting him to this danger, that grabbing a quick-draw during a lead fall would not be an unreasonable thing to do? Would it not therefore be fair to say that you were partly if not wholly responsible when the plaintiff then fish-hooked his hand with the karabiner?"
 Climber_Bill 16 Feb 2015
In reply to john arran:

Precisely. I think you have hit the nail firmly and accurately on the head.

The phrases such as using common sense and ones own initiative etc. also spring to mind.
 Dell 16 Feb 2015

> probably because they type of person who would keep their ring on while climbing is the type of person who would ignore such warnings....

...but I thought guys who are married are used to being told what to do?

*ducks*

goose299 16 Feb 2015

Yet another reason I dont't liek wearing a ring

Are there any figures out there that demonstrate this to be a problem? I suspect it doesn't happen that often.
 Jimbo C 16 Feb 2015

2 words; personal responsibility.

If there was a sign on the wall for anything and everything that could possibly go wrong, there would be:

a) not enough wall space
b) less importance placed on the really important warnings that might save people's lives
Rigid Raider 16 Feb 2015

Rings, watches, wearing them for any climbing is as daft as wearing a tie when operating a drill or a lathe.

(I once got my long student hair pulled into a hand drill; luckily the drill was just powering down and all that happened was a mighty tug and a bonk on the head. Lucky.)
 Thrudge 16 Feb 2015
Yay, let's have more signs! Here's just a few of the ones I'm looking forward to:

Caution! Slamming this door on your hand can lead to serious injury.

Warning! Wrapping this rope around your neck and leaping from the balcony is strongly discouraged.

Attention! Shoving your head down this toilet and repeatedly pulling the chain may lead to drowning, and a wet floor on which others may slip!

IMPORTANT NOTICE - Darwinian selection operating on these premises.
 steveliput 16 Feb 2015

When my mate used the phrase 'degloveing' as a warning I instantly had horrible images in my mind and took my ring off instantly to never climb in it again...

It is also probably an urban myth that this is any other than a very rare occurence, and too say that it happens more indoors is also a fallacy - back in the day it was only supposed to occur when you put your finger through a peg, then it became a bolt, now it is indoors.

I have never actually heard of this injury happening at a wall in the UK. However I have seen someone fish hook themselves when down jumping a route to strip the draws.
In reply to john arran:

Simon 'Bull' Jones down jumping a route on the West Face, Buoux. Left himself hanging and had to pull up with his other hand and un-skewer himself. Lucky boy missed all tendons and major blood vessels but still not nice.
In reply to john arran:

OK fair point, you can't have a sign for every daft thing people might do, but I think some are more common sense than others and I'm not sure not wearing rings is that obvious, if nobody has ever mentioned it to you.
 Mutl3y 16 Feb 2015

Two questions....
1. Is this really an actual thing that happens at a wall or is it mainly, (purely?) a crack climbing thingy?
2. Someone said wearing a watch while climbing is a daft thing to do...again, really? Unless you are on a jamming route is this really a problem? Certainly find it hard to see how it's like wearing a tie while working a wood chipper....

Genuinely interested if it is but would be surprised.
 marsbar 16 Feb 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Those are great. Might have to get one for Mr Marsbar.

This injury is incredibly rare, I have never seen or heard of an actual incident either on the crag or at a wall. I have however seen an example of someone fish hooking themselves.
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

So would you say it's safe to wear rings at walls then and I and others are just wasting our breath mentioning it? Professionally you clearly spend a lot more time around walls than I do and if it's no big deal then I'll stop bothering people.
 JayPee630 16 Feb 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Totally agree, what good would tape do? Unless tyou put so much on to cover the lip of the ring (and by doing so would make your finger unbendable) I suspect it's pointless.
 JayPee630 16 Feb 2015

Whatever, IMO it's down to people to know and do what they want with wearing rings.
 muppetfilter 16 Feb 2015

All it takes is a handhold with a tapered slot, a soft metal ring gold/silver and a 50-100kg load.

No I am saying that you should leave your rings on as clearly there is a possibility that you could get a slight injury due to your ring getting caught, you could lose your ring due to it falling off or you could scratch your ring.

What I am saying is that degloving has never happened at my wall, which has had around 3/4 million visits, so I think it is safe to say it is rare. I think your FA instructor has bought into the urban myth.

Indoor climbing is not safe, the only way to make my wall (a bouldering only wall) safe is to shut it. Even wrapping all of my customers in cotton wall or bubble wrap will not make them all safe.
 Offwidth 16 Feb 2015

Does anyone here know of a de-gloving incident anywhere indoors in the UK? My main concern with rings is if you injure your finger and it swells up the ring can constrict the swollen area: I've seen quite a few of those incidents indoors and out.
 Oceanrower 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Offwidth:
> My main concern with rings is if you injure your finger and it swells up the ring can constrict the swollen area:

Don't worry. Every wall will have a battery angle grinder somewhere, in case of cross threaded tee-nuts or someone losing their locker key........
Post edited at 17:01

Right seems like it's an urban myth then, I'll not bother in future. And on the off chance, at least this thread got over 1000 views so hopefully there will be less risk of a few more people "losing or scratching rings"in future, because that would be a bad thing obviously!
 Wsdconst 16 Feb 2015

Always take mine off, mainly because I don't want to damage it ,my brother always leaves his on though probably not any more after I show him that pic

> No I am saying that you should leave your rings on as clearly there is a possibility that you could get a slight injury due to your ring getting caught, you could lose your ring due to it falling off or you could scratch your ring.

Obvious typo. "No I am saying that you should leave your rings off as clearly there is a ...................................."

Sorry but I supect you got the drift.
astley007 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

I know of three recorded cases of finger de-gloving across europe, non from the UK and all outdoor.However, there maybe the "odd" other that I am not aware of(my disclaimer) These were climbers wearing rings and forcing their fingers into small sharp pockets. One climber leading, the other two were bouldering.
Also, one recorded case of traumatic amputation of the thumb, by a climber who grabbed the rope falling off and it formed a lasso around his thumb and it cinched down as his fall was arrested, squeezing tight and "tearing" his thumb off. Again outdoors, and not in the UK.
Statistically, I would class these as "freak" accidents, which are not significant in real terms of climbing injuries (unless you are the climber involved) as so would, apart from using some common sense regarding ring wearing, I would be more concerned about knot tying, and poor belaying (indoors), and setting up good belays and helmet wearing (outdoors).
Without getting into the debate about "competency"
Hope that helps to put it into perspective
Cheers
Nick B
 Dr.S at work 16 Feb 2015
In reply to astley007:

Whilst it did not result in a devolving injury, I have got my hand stuck in a hold indoors due to my wedding ring. Happily was in a secure position and could resolve the problem. Had I fallen at that point could have been nasty.

Tend to try to not wear rings when climbing now.
 obi-wan nick b 17 Feb 2015
I have seen someone cut their finger and lose their wedding ring waterskiing on a nice smooth ski towing handle; so I can imagine that it might be rather easier to do on some rough climbing holds...
 Ollie Keynes 17 Feb 2015

Degloving is the more commonly quoted extreme example, looks grim! But another reason not to wear rings whilst climbing is in case of less visually obvious finger injury that causes swelling: if you damage a finger whilst climbing and that finger swells up due to the injury you're going to be in trouble if you've got a ring on. Statistics of actual happenings I don't know, but do you want it to be you?
Taping a ring is useless in all cases.
 Toerag 17 Feb 2015

We had a novice girl join our club a few years back - climbing outdoors, she arrived at my belay for me to discover she was wearing an engagement ring made of CORAL! Needless to say she took it off pretty quickly when I mentioned that it wouldn't last very long if she carried on wearing it to climb on gneiss and granite!
 Tom Last 17 Feb 2015

I saw someone get de gloved by a quick draw at a climbing wall. Without doubt the most revolting thing I've even seen - poor chap looked about ready to keel over through shock.
 Andy Say 17 Feb 2015

I'd be interested to find out if such an injury has ever occurred in a UK climbing wall as you describe it.

Catching a ring on a part of a hold? No. Don't believe it.

I can see it if someone sticks their finger through a bolt hanger and then slips / falls 'degloving' might happen.

So I'm not sure that this is something the BMC / ABC should be specifically putting resources into.

I've never seen a sign warning that long hair might get caught in a belay device. And that is more probable
 Jim pratt 22 Feb 2015
A friend of ours was climbing bare top at a wall and got his nipple ring clipped into the end of a quick draw. He didn't fall thankfully and got it out.
His nickname is now nipples
(hi Steve if your reading!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...