UKC

Boardman v Boardman

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 coinneach 19 Mar 2015
So contemplating visiting the Dark Side and buying a road bike.

We have the Team v the Comp

All carbon fork v part carbon

18 speed v 16 speed

Approx 1.5 kilo difference in weight.

£200 difference in price

Worth it or not?
 zimpara 19 Mar 2015
In reply to coinneach:

If you can spend it. Then yes pretty nice bikes
 dale1968 19 Mar 2015
In reply to coinneach:

If your going to the chippy on it save the £200, if your going to get the miles in and compete then go the extra mile.
' Buy cheap buy twice'
 Hat Dude 19 Mar 2015
In reply to coinneach:

It always happens that somebody comes up with an alternative!
The Boardmans are nice bikes but if I were buying a new bike in that price range now, I go for this

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58RIV22BNC/planet-x-rt-58-carbon-sram-ri...

Absolutely brilliant value if you can get one in your size
 Oujmik 19 Mar 2015
In reply to coinneach:

Are you sure you've got your facts straight? You say you are comparing the Team and the Comp but the gear specs you give appear to be the Comp and the Sport.

Here's the team, it's 20 speed with carbon fork and alu frame:

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_team.html

They all seem okay depending on your level of use. If you plan on getting into road cycling (i.e. more than just to the shops etc) I'd suggest the Team or the Team Carbon because they have a 10 speed drive chain. 9 and 8 speed are very out of date and you may struggle to get decent components in future.
 Dark-Cloud 19 Mar 2015
In reply to coinneach:
Darkside ? I wish this stupid crap would die a death......

Spend what you can afford.
Post edited at 12:46
 Alun 19 Mar 2015
In reply to coinneach:

I have a Boardman Road Comp from 2013 (the one in all white). It is a lovely bike. I upgraded the wheels for 300 quid a year after buying it. This dropped the weight to below 9kg and made a noticeable difference to performance, especially when climbing.

However, the current version (in silver) has dropped in price, had a downgrade in spec, and as a result gained nearly a kg in weight (it's now 10kg). I don't think I would buy it, if I were in the market for a bike now.

The Road Team, by contrast, still looks like great value. It weighs 8.5kg, which you could easily drop to nearer 8kg with a wheel/tyre upgrade in the future. That amount of weight dfifference is not inconsiderable.

So I would choose Team.
 Alun 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
> Darkside ? I wish this stupid crap would die a death......

Lighten up, old chap, it's just a joke.

And anyway, it's also a complement. Because when you turn to the darkside, you become more powerful than you can possibly imagine! (Or am I mixing up my starwars memes...?)
OP coinneach 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

My facts are straight in as much as that's how they were labelled in Halfords this morning.

They surely wouldn't put the wrong ones on . . . . . Or would they?
 Oujmik 19 Mar 2015
In reply to coinneach:

Maybe the labels are wrong or the range may have changed over the years and the shop and the website are out of sync. Worth double checking everything online. If they've labelled something too cheap, try to get a bargain!
 Dark-Cloud 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Alun:

Its not a funny one...........
OP coinneach 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

Looks like you're right and they had the wrong label on the bike but the question is still the same.

Is the extra £200 worth it?
 Mountain Llama 19 Mar 2015
In reply to coinneach:

If I was looking for another road bike, I would always take a look here to check things out http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pu/road-track-bike/special-edition-bikes/spec...

HTH Davey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...