UKC

walking poles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
wildy252 23 Mar 2015
I am walking a section of the Camino de santiago in Spain in the summer. I want to purchase some poles. Any advice as to which ones to buy would be appreciated. Thank you.
 d_b 23 Mar 2015
In reply to wildy252:

I find the twist lock type poles always stop working after a couple of years use. They are crap. Clip lock designs tend to be more robust and longer lasting, though for some reason thin on the ground.

Personally I don't bother with the anti shock type as the suspension makes them less positive when using them for balance. That's just a taste thing though.

For the last couple of years I have been using leki micro sticks, as they are light and easy to fit into luggage. The down side is that they are a bit bendy. Before that I had some black diamond poles which I quite liked. A bit over priced though. Can't find the exact model now unfortunately.

On the carbon fiber vs metal question, you are trading weight for graceful failure. Carbon fiber is light and has good rigidity, but if you over stress it then it fails catastrophically and you have no pole. Metal poles just bend a bit. Doesn't happen often, but I have knackered 2 or 3 poles over the years so it is worth keeping in mind.
 goose299 23 Mar 2015
In reply to wildy252:

I've some Black Diamond flick lock poles. Weren't the cheapest. 50-60 quid
But they're good and lasting well as thery've a few eyars old and only have superficial marks
 jezb1 23 Mar 2015
In reply to wildy252:

Black Diamond Z poles, fit inside your bag when you're not using them, which is a great feature for me.

Whatever you go for, make sure you dry them whenever they get wet. Internal corrosion kills the locking parts and can stop sections sliding.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...