UKC

m disc's to backup photos?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 02 Apr 2015
I'm worried about the longevity of my photo collection now that everything is digital. I've just read about m-discs and their claim to last 1,000 years compared to bog standard CD's, DVD's and Blue ray's. Anybody seen or used these discs?

Is it all smoke and mirrors or can these discs outlive me?
OP The Lemming 07 Apr 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Hopeful bump.
Removed User 07 Apr 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I use two external hard disk drives for backup. It only takes two clicks to sync backups with current archive
 Toerag 07 Apr 2015
In reply to Removed UserZebdi:

> I use two external hard disk drives for backup. It only takes two clicks to sync backups with current archive

....and if you've deleted something off your machine does it delete it from the backups as well?
Removed User 07 Apr 2015
In reply to Toerag:

I use SyncToy which is free & easy to use. It can delete files if you want it to - you simply choose "echo" option. I use "contribute" option which means no files are deleted from the backups. If I want to delete something, I do it manually.
 d508934 07 Apr 2015
In reply to Removed UserZebdi:

so how well does synctoy handle a NAS? sounds like it should be fine. seems strange it's not had a version update since 2009!
OP The Lemming 07 Apr 2015
In reply to d508934:

Sync toy works fine on a NAS as I use it too. However I am hoping to store my photos on a medium other than a hard disk which will hold up to the test of time till a more stable archive system pops up.

Nobody heard of or used m-disks?
 CasWebb 07 Apr 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Haven't used M discs but they just seem to be an extra durable dvd / blu ray, in which case it's fairly irrelevant that they last 1000 yrs because the technology to read them will have disappeared long before then - just think how quickly Betamax and VHS became redundant.
OP The Lemming 15 Apr 2015
In reply to CasWebb:

I understand that the tech won't be around in 1,000 years to read the discs. However I am intrigued by the idea of burning my images into the structure of a disc rather than an organic layer which degrades in well under 10 years.

I'm guessing that nobody has seen or used mdiscs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...