UKC

Producing a crag topo. Using other guides as resources. Help!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Max Clarke 05 Apr 2015
Afternoon folks.. Hope you're all enjoying the long weekend!

I'm hoping somebody can help me with a query. I tried a forum search, but wasn't sure quite what to search for, so apologies if we're going over familiar ground.

For the time being, I'm speaking hypothetically, but this might be something that I look into doing if it's legally/morally acceptable.

There are some crags local to me, with some fantastic routes/problems. These climbs have been documented in a guide book in the past (now out of print I believe) and there are guides available for free online. However, there are no photographs and no topos.

If I was to take a camera to the crag, photograph the routes and produce an accurate colour topo, is it likely to upset anybody if I use the route names, grades, star ratings, descriptions and such that are available online? (The route info is pretty much all available on UKC and other free resources for example)..

For clarity, my intention isn't to gain anything from producing the topos, I would be making them available on my website for free, mainly as a resource for local climbers. My concern is, I don't want it to look like I've stolen other people's work and passed it off as my own in order to increase traffic to my website.

Any and all opinions welcome and appreciated!
 JJL 05 Apr 2015
In reply to Max Clarke:

It's fine except don't use descriptions verbatim - those are copyright. However a tweak is ok and , after all rock fax did just this when they started...
OP Max Clarke 05 Apr 2015
In reply to JJL:

Thanks! That's what I suspected, and certainly what I was hoping to hear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...