UKC

Dolomites Guiding Costs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Shapeshifter 14 Apr 2015
I'm heading out to the Cinque Torre area of the Dollies in early September, mostly for walking and a bit of single pitch sport climbing with non-climbing partner.

Having never been before I thought it was a shame not to get a proper Dolomite summit in, so I was thinking of hiring a guide for a day/half day.

I wondered if anybody had any idea of cost or specific guide recommendations? If it helps I'm thinking of something like Myriam or Finlandia on Torre Grande?

Thanks
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Shapeshifter:

Have a look at: http://www.altabadiaguides.com/eng/Climbing/page_10_963.html

They are pretty standard prices. Enjoy your trip! Both routes are excellent.

All the best,

James
 Null 14 Apr 2015

The standard rate is € 250 per full climbing day (quick preparatory meetings are included in that price). "Half" days are negotiable from € 100 to € 150.
Some guides slightly undercut these rates but are discouraged from doing so by the local association.
 beardy mike 14 Apr 2015

I would thoroughly recommend Manfred Stuffer from Catores who are based over in the western Dolomites. However he's a great climber and speaks excellent english and does work in that area if you ask him to.
 Gael Force 14 Apr 2015

If your going with a guide try something a bit bigger for a better day out, Tofana or the Sella towers are all pretty handy for a day.
Cinque Torre is good and the routes you mention are both excellent, if a bit polished, but if your going to the dark side with a guide you might as well get your money's worth on a proper route...
 beardy mike 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Gael Force:

Indeed - 1st pillar on Tofana for starters!
OP Shapeshifter 15 Apr 2015

Dear All

Thanks for the excellent suggestions - sorry for slow response, had a few IT problems yesterday.
Guiding cost is cheaper than I'd thought so definitely going to give it a go.

Cheers all.
In reply to beardy mike:

Thanks Mike - I'll drop Manfred a line and check on availability. Would you recommend something like South East arête on the Primo Spigolo of Tofana - just checking the Rockfax now?
In reply to James Rushforth:

Thanks James - the new Rockfax made me get my finger out and book the trip - great guide. Always been to Western Alps before.
 beardy mike 16 Apr 2015
Yep! Its a really excellent route!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...