UKC

Climbing in Bristol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JamesGo 30 Apr 2015
Hi all,

My children (aged 8 and 10) are dying to rock climb outside. The Avon Gorge (Bristol) is just down the road. Am I right in thinking there are a few easyish routes on the right side of the main climbing area under Clifton Downs?

Does anyone know if these are easy enough to top rope? I'm planning to get a 40m rope and a selection of slings and carabiners, would this suffice? Are there obvious bolts/trees to use near enough to the crag edge?

Thanks for your help.

James
 PaulHarris 01 May 2015
In reply to JamesGo:
Instead of buying a load of gear why not find someone who has SPA or MIA and book a session with them. If the kids don't like it then you haven't got gear to then re-sell. If they do like it then you know the gear is then an investment. Try yor local climbing wall for help.
Post edited at 08:29
 dale1968 01 May 2015
In reply to JamesGo:

I Hope this is troll
 Monk 01 May 2015
In reply to JamesGo:

The routes you mention are frequently used to top rope novices, but they aren't the nicest routes, especially for kids. There are bolts there, but they are not easy to reach without abseiling. You can use trees but you'd need two ropes to rig it properly. Basically I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you are doing. I think the Bristol area is a bit limited for novice groups. If you fancy making a bit of a day trip out of it, I'd recommend heading to dartmoor. Lovely setting and nice Climbing.
 Phil1919 01 May 2015
In reply to JamesGo:

If I had children that age I'd take them for a day in the woods. Leave outdoor climbing for them to organise when they are older if they really want to do it.
 Kevster 01 May 2015
In reply to JamesGo:

For top roping you need a crag with easy top access and descents. There are some starter routes at dancing ledge for example with bolts and if your trad minded dartmoor or isn't a bad call. Though access ease is not what you'd call a gentle walk for Dorset.
However by the fact you have asked the question, and suggested buying a few slings and crabs suggests you are not a climber and may not be competent. I'd suggest finding a person who is. Your kids and you only have one life and that may take only one mistake to use up.

Be safe. Have fun.
 timstyles 01 May 2015
There are nicer routes for kids a short drive away at Fairy Cave Quarry, e.g. Minute Waltz (VD) . You need a couple of climbers (or someone to solo up to the top) to set up a rope. Note the access arrangements.

You can drop a rope from the top of some of the routes at Cheddar Gorge North, e.g. Matanuska (VS 4c). You can then spend most of the day doing other tourist things.

Your best bet would be to arrange an outdoor climbing session. It will be cheaper than buying gear. Try the 'Directory' link at the top of this site.
 Monk 01 May 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

> If I had children that age I'd take them for a day in the woods. Leave outdoor climbing for them to organise when they are older if they really want to do it.

I have to admit that I completely disagree. My much younger kids love Climbing outdoors (and playing in the woods).
 springfall2008 02 May 2015
In reply to JamesGo:

We took our 9 year old (and her friend) to Symond's Yat (routes like this one http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=33118). One of us led the route (Trad) and set up top rope and abseiled down to clean.

That said it's about an hours drive from Bristol and you need to know what you are doing but not maybe the best bet for a beginner.

I think there is at least one VD at Cheddar gorge with a good tree on top that you can just walk to up, so maybe that would work (left hand side as you are driving up, past the pay car parks).

There are a couple of easy bolted routes at Woodcroft Quarry if you are happy to lead them (need quickdraws) and then set up as a top rope.

Although places like Undercover rock do kids sessions outdoors they have to be a bit older to take part.

JamesGo 04 May 2015
In reply to JamesGo:

Thank you all for your replies, some of which are very helpful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...