UKC

Bridestones (West Yorkshire) drill holes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Newts 02 May 2015
Bridestones (West Yorkshire)
Does anyone know anything about the 12mm drill holes in the castle area at Bridestones? Found about a dozen the other day, they look a mess and seem pointless. I will try to put some photos on.
OP Newts 03 May 2015
 Offwidth 03 May 2015
In reply to Newts:

Remember who caused the erosion in the first place.... its hardly like the problem wasn't obvious. In the end the responsible guidebooks had to stop listing the problems. The same is happening now on other venues (most recently The Woolpacks) including a selection of ignorant boulderers continue to climb at Newstones on damp days.
 doris 06 May 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

I think the issue that Newts is raising is that generally climbers show some respect for the rock on which they climb. Granted this inevitably results in erosion to a greater or lesser degree. What is particularly concerning about these drill holes is the total disregard for the rock and the fact that it is both unnecessary and inappropriate at this location. SRT could be practised at far less sensitive sites, even man made structures.

Offwidth 06 May 2015
In reply to doris:

Given the seriously erosive mess at kebs, climbers moaning about a few drill holes made in ignorance rather than in deliberate conflict does look rather hypocritical. Regard for the rock is less obvious if the perpetrators are not educated in that subject and the rock is looking trashed by other users. I fully agree that SRT could and should be practiced in far more suitable sites.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...