UKC

Sum of money found on cycle path

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jim C 21 May 2015
Last night between Renton and Balloch I found a sum of money.

If you can tell me what denomination, which bank, and what/who was featured on the note , the serial number and where exactly is was found I will give it back.

Otherwise it is going into the MRT charity box.

JamButty 21 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:

Bloody hell you've made that tough....

1 x £5 note, Robert the Bruce, 3564925467, Milburn Park

Do I win five pounds....?

bump.
eivrol 21 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:

you should have wrote:
I found a large sum of money on the cycle path, some of it in foreign currency. 400 eur, $250 and £700. a big thank you to the person who left it there, Jim :-D
abseil 21 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:

> ....I found a sum of money... tell me what denomination.... the serial number... Otherwise it is going into the MRT charity box.

Darn it! I always memorize all the serial numbers, but I just can't remember this time.....

Was it 88270216698345472149?
Post edited at 14:10
 balmybaldwin 21 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:

I'm sure you know this but...

Really you should report it to the police otherwise it is theft (regardless of how honourable your method of disposal is).

Generally they will hold it for 30 days iirc and then return it to you if it isn't claimed at which point you can do want you like with it
 Wsdconst 21 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:

5000 South Korean won,bank of Korea,yi yulgok,al0606494 a,on the floor,thanks
Jim C 21 May 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> I'm sure you know this but...

> Really you should report it to the police otherwise it is theft (regardless of how honourable your method of disposal is).
I would but they have shut the local police station it is unmanned, I could, I suppose make a 999 call , but by the time they turn up the 30 days will be up

I will give that some consideration, I will perhaps ask Off Duty , or my BIL what they think ?
( but either way the MRT will still get a donation equal to the amount
Jim C 21 May 2015
In reply to JamButty:

Busy working out how many tries you lot will make before working out how much it was etc.

N.b I have looked around the net for guidance on 'found items' , and have concluded that the cost of processing the find will cost the taxpayer more than the value of the sum found.

Personally, if someone dropped even a 50p pound coin right in front of me, I would point it out , or pick it up and hand it back go them ( It would have been clearly theft, as I knew who owned it)

However , with no way of knowing the owner of say a lost pound , or fiver, tenner, twenty, or £50 note, somewhere in that range there are amounts that most people would consider handing that over to the police, or donating it to charity.
( or lesser amounts just pocketing it)

My considered judgement, is the amount merits that I don't just pocket it, but , not in this instance hand it to the police either, but to donate it.

Jim C 21 May 2015
In reply to abseil:
> Darn it! I always memorize all the serial numbers, but I just can't remember this time.....

> Was it 88270216698345472149?

Only one number out Abseil
Post edited at 20:27
 willjones 21 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:

pounds, bank of england, that famous historical chap, 88270216698345472148, Alexandria

Many thanks for prompt return of lost monies.
Jim C 21 May 2015
In reply to willjones:

> pounds, bank of england, that famous historical chap, 88270216698345472148, Alexandria

> Many thanks for prompt return of lost monies.

Swansea, to Alexandria on a bike , really!!
 willjones 21 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:

A mere 440 miles.

At first I didn't think you'd found my money, but after your previous comment confirming the correct serial number I felt obliged to respond.
Jim C 21 May 2015
In reply to willjones:

> A mere 440 miles.

> At first I didn't think you'd found my money, but after your previous comment confirming the correct serial number I felt obliged to respond.

On yer bike ya chancer
 willjones 21 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:

Ach! I thought I had you in a corner then, you are cunning indeed sir!
abseil 22 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:

> Only one number out Abseil

Darn it again! Me and my memory! (Normally so sharp oh-ho-ho)

Oh well it's the MRT's lucky day....
 Martin W 22 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:

> I would but they have shut the local police station it is unmanned, I could, I suppose make a 999 call

Call the non-emergency 101 number to report it. They will advise your best course of action.

https://www.gov.uk/contact-police
Jim C 22 May 2015
In reply to Martin W:

> Call the non-emergency 101 number to report it. They will advise your best course of action.

I am well known to the police Martin, I don't really think they will appreciate a call from me on this ( and even more paperwork)

Just to clarify, my mother has dementure, and I have an alarm on her door, and my phone alerts me if she wanders in the late/ early hours.
She usually gets picked up by ambulance drivers/ Taxi Drivers/ and police.

(I was a wee bit cheeky on the police response, I do have retired officers in the family)
 Dave the Rave 22 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:
You're a troll and i claim my £5?
 d_b 22 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:

I would think twice about picking up the money. You don't want to annoy a cyclepath.
Rigid Raider 22 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:

Right now I've got 10 billion Dollars on my desk.

.....Zim Dollars.
 DancingOnRock 22 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:
The law says you must make 'reasonable efforts' to find the owner.

What is reasonable would depend on what it was that you found.

So finding a £1 coin would be impossible to trace and prove the owner. However £100, it is likely someone has reported it as lost to the police.

Dial 111, they will make a report and probably ask you to hold on to it and drop it in to the next police station you pass.
Post edited at 13:05
Jim C 22 May 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Groan..
 PM 22 May 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> Dial 111, they will make a report and probably ask you to hold on to it and drop it in to the next police station you pass.

I don't think the NHS non-emergency bods will bother making a report.
 PM 22 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:

> Personally, if someone dropped even a 50p pound coin

If it was a 50p pound coin, I'd keep (yes, steal) it. So rare.
 Clarence 22 May 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Right now I've got 10 billion Dollars on my desk.

> .....Zim Dollars.

All you need is some flour and water and you could make a serviceable second desk out of that cash...
Lusk 22 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:

It's Path swag, get it pocketed
abseil 22 May 2015
In reply to PM:

> If it was a 50p pound coin.....

That's called inflation.
 DancingOnRock 22 May 2015
In reply to PM:

Ah yes. 101 apparently.

Good job they've chosen easily memorable different numbers. Genius.
Jim C 23 May 2015
In reply to PM:

Should have read 50p or pound coin.
 birdie num num 23 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:

Did any Uckers lose £500 in mixed notes tied with a rubber band at Ogwen Cottage car park yesterday?
 Wsdconst 23 May 2015
In reply to Lusk:

Was it lost or abandoned though ??
 Dave the Rave 23 May 2015
In reply to birdie num num:

> Did any Uckers lose £500 in mixed notes tied with a rubber band at Ogwen Cottage car park yesterday?

Near a bag of white powder ?
 oaktree 23 May 2015
In reply to birdie num num:

birdie's back! :~)
 Dave the Rave 23 May 2015
In reply to oaktree:

> birdie's back! :~)

Guess who's back?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...