UKC

NorthWales this weekend conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 05 Jun 2015

Given the forecast (we are coming down from Scotland stopping of in Carlisle to drop child off), what do people think whether - given the weather forecast tomorrow - it will be climbable on a) Gogarth b) Cromlech c) south side of LLanberis pass. Ideally would have liked to climb in the Lakes, but forecast not too promising...

Looking to do some mega classics.

Worth a punt or shall we go to the peak?

Bear in mind - it's a very rare childfree weekend ...so looking to make the best of it.

Thanks
Heike
Post edited at 14:01
In reply to Heike:

Don't waste your time in the Peak. Go to Gogarth obviously.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2646686

Simon4 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Heike:

Reasonable weather both days, quite windy (strong SW), on Saturday, less so Sunday. I would steer clear of Gogarth on Saturday if I were you.
OP Heike 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Simon4:

Yeah, that was my concern, looked a wee bit windy there on Sat. What about the Pass. Would that be ok in that wind? I climb there too infrequently to make a considered judgement...
OP Heike 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

> Don't waste your time in the Peak. Go to Gogarth obviously.

yeah, but have you noticed the wind speeds. Don't fancy being washed of a ledge
In reply to Heike:

> yeah, but have you noticed the wind speeds. Don't fancy being washed of a ledge

It shouldn't be too bad... the seas at Gogarth are normally pretty chilled compared to Pembroke. Ireland provides a lot of shelter!

You can do things like Dream, Gogarth, Resolution Direct, Concrete Chimney, Quartz Icicle, Cordon Blea, The Moon, Emulator and the Strand without going near (relatively) the sea.

That's where I would be going if I was heading to North Wales not Pembroke this evening, anyway.

OP Heike 05 Jun 2015
Sounds Very tempting! Have done Gogarth, the Stand and Resolution Direct and perhaps Concrete Chimney and Quartz Icicle - just need to check..but none of the other ones. Would love to go there if it was ok!!
Thanks for your input. I guess if it's too bad there are always the upper bands or Holyhead Mountain.
H
Post edited at 14:29
In reply to Heike:

> Sounds Very tempting! Have done Gogarth and Reolution Direct and perhaps Concrete Chimney and Quartz Icicle - just need to check..but none of the other ones. Would love to go there if it was ok!!

> Thanks for your input. I guess if it's too bad there are always the upper bands or Holyhead Mountain.

Holyhead Mountain is really exposed and super grim in the wind. I would head to Rhoscolyn or South stack if it is windy... The great thing about Gogarth is it faces different aspects and somewhere is bound to be sheltered.

If all else fails get inside Bloody Chimney for maximum hilarity.

Have you got the new Rockfax guide? The topos in that are super clear. I recommend Zeus in Wen Zawn in you fancy doing a unknown gem.
 jon 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Heike:

If Leo Dickinson had worried about a bit of a breeze he'd never have taken his famous Dream of White Horses photo...!

Don't forget that parts of Gogarth are closed due to bird mesting! Check the BMC Access Database if unsure.
In reply to Simon4:
> Reasonable weather both days, quite windy (strong SW), on Saturday, less so Sunday. I would steer clear of Gogarth on Saturday if I were you.

It's only a bit of wind... That's was climbing on sea cliffs is all about!
Post edited at 14:30
OP Heike 05 Jun 2015
In reply to jon:

Very true, but as I say I have a child to pick up at the end of the weekend, so would like to avoid the avoidable for their sake ..
OP Heike 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Cheers Ron, have done that.
In reply to Heike:

You didn't seem that bothered about the weather when we met briefly in the CIC hut a couple of months back!

Go to Gogarth you won't regret it...
OP Heike 05 Jun 2015

Well, no, perhaps!
But you haven't seen the weather in Scotland since then. It is the grimmest spring/early summer in my memory (I have been living here for 21 years!!!!!)
People were excited today because today was 11.5 % C and only raining slightly....
OP Heike 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Heike:

thanks guys for all the info on gogarth, what about llanberis pass, would that be ok?
Cheers
Heike & Brian
 shaun walby 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Heike: just wrestled with this one myself...sat nothing much to be done re high winds in Snowdonia. Sunday and Monday good, for me that's a long trek for Sunday climbing?..Peak for me going to climb sat sun and Monday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...