UKC

Which Walking poles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Burns 13 Jun 2015
Can anyone recommend walking poles? I've always had cheap ones up to now but I bent one of my current poles and it won't fold down now. I use them mainly for back packing round the Highlands. Think I'll go for locking poles as those that don't lock can be a pain in the snow.

Any suggestions.

https://johndburns.wordpress.com/
 ogreville 13 Jun 2015
In reply to John Burns:

Hi John

I'd recommend the Trekmates with the snap lock - http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/trigger-lock-pole-p151625
£16.99 from Go outdoors. I've had these for two years now and they are still OK. The longest I've ever had poles for before they break.

£5 poles from Lidl just break after one use and Leki or BD expensive poles aren't work the extra expense - They still break eventually (or maybe it's just me!).

llechwedd 13 Jun 2015
In reply to John Burns:

Pacerpoles
 Welsh Kate 13 Jun 2015
In reply to llechwedd:
Seconded, provided you're comfortable with the slightly different way of holding them - though I found them really easy to adapt to. They're great for long walking and backpacking trips and I can feel the difference in terms of advantages in energy levels between pacerpoles and more orthodox walking poles.
Post edited at 17:00
 Jack B 13 Jun 2015
In reply to John Burns:

I'm another pacerpole fan. The rather odd looking handle is very comfortable to use, and means you can put quite a lot of force through them without needing a wrist-strap. I like that, as I've seen a few minor accidents which were worse than they could have been because someone was wearing a wrist strap, either because it stopped them using their arms to break a fall, or because it pulled on the arm and dislocated the shoulder. Of course you and (and should) take the wrist strap off on steep or uneven ground, but then you lose some of the benefit of having a pole.

The downside is that they are fairly expensive, and they use twist-lock mechanism. I'd like to see a version with a flick-lock. They are also a little heavier than some of the competition, but since the weight is mostly in the handle I don't really feel it.
m0unt41n 13 Jun 2015
In reply to John Burns:

Clip locking poles are more reliable than the traditional rotate and pray they hold type.

Useful to have a long hand grip so you do not have to adjust the length going up steep slopes or cross slopes but instead just slide you hand down the one you want to be shorter.

Otherwise the non adjustable tent pole types are half the weight if that's important, not sure how strong but my wife's ones have survived OK.

Nordie_matt 14 Jun 2015
In reply to John Burns:

I used to use both flick lock and twist lock poles, but about 2 years ago I picked up a pair of leki micro poles, which are fixed length.

IMHO, fixed length poles are much better, more secure and very strong. The only downside is they are a little more difficult to pack away on compression straps if you are not using them, say on a scrambling step. However I would say this is a negligible inconvenience for the reliability.
altirando 15 Jun 2015
In reply to John Burns:

Sounds as though some people are not holding poles properly if they are concerned about a sprained wrist with the straps. You put your hand up through the strap loop, holding the grip with thumb and finger tips, pushing the thick of the side of your palm down on to the strap to give you forward propulsion. In essence a modified form of the action used in xc skiing which is where I became accustomed to using poles. The problem with Pacer poles is that the angled grip loses much of the power of a thrust directly down the length of straight poles.
 ben b 16 Jun 2015
In reply to altirando:

Agreed, you see a lot of folk holding poles daintily hand through strap straight on to pole - cunningly adding increased risk of injury to lack of effect.

I got some carbon fibre BD expedition poles in 2007, still going strong; my wife's Z-poles are lighter and probably stronger but only 2 years old so not sure about longevity yet. They get used for everything from steep day walks to telemark skiing on and off piste and have never had an issue, plus being battered around on the side of the pack etc. The CF ones don't get the alloy 'flour' that inadequately dried metal poles tend to get, which makes twistlocks fail rapidly.

Prior to that had a pair of BD flicklocks from the last century, I think - actually they are still in the gear cupboard and get out for a ski occasionally.

b
 Martin W 16 Jun 2015
In reply to John Burns: I'd always go for flicklock poles these days, a massive improvement over twistlock. I've never broken a pole section but in my experience the twistlock mechanisms simply stop working after a while - either jamming solid, or constantly slipping. They then need intensive care to get working again - and then fail again shortly afterwards. None of that sort of problem with flicklock.

Z-poles are great: light and compact when not in use, which seems to be very often the case for me other than when I'm skiing. If you think you may need to vary the length on different terrain then go for the versions which have a single flicklock adjustable section, such as the Black Diamond FLZ variants of their Distance poles.

The poles with the extra padding below the handle can be useful for quick changes of hand position for short distances. A DIY add-on to poles not so equipped is to fit a length of non-slip heatshrink tubing (requires a heat gun). I've done this to my aged but still fully functional BD Expedition poles and it works very nicely.

Carbon poles are out of my price range so I can't comment on them! I'm sure they're very nice, though. Actually, come to think, my ordinary ski poles are carbon - obviously they don't pack down like trekking poles do, but they are certainly light and have survived a dozen or more ski holidays with barely a scratch (which is more than I can say for myself!)

I agree with altirando that there's something not right about the Pacer poles design - though I'll admit I've never used them, putting a kink in something down which you're exerting an axial thrust just seems wrong. I manage just fine with poles with ordinary hand grips, using the wrist strap properly as described in his post.
 Mountain Llama 16 Jun 2015
In reply to John Burns:

I have 2 sets.

Pacer poles are great with there different handle arrangement and I find there more natural to use. Great for multi day treks.

Alpkit carbon poles are great for the price, although I have broken the tip section on oneutral it's cheap toget a replacement. Think the breakage is due to the material not alpkit design. Great for taking along as the weight nothing.

If you can i would try the pacer poles as they are quite diffetent from normal poles then make a decision.

HTH Davey
 LucaC 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama:
I personally like the BD alloy flick lock Z poles. I've had too many twist lock and carbon fibre poles, all of which have broken at unfortunate moments. If your going to be on paths like the WHW you'll probably be fine with some lightweight ones, but if your going to be using them consistently on rough ground and off the beaten track, or in winter, I would seriously suggest something burly. The extra weight doesn't really seem to matter when they are in your hands, not your pack.
 Erik B 16 Jun 2015
In reply to LJC: warning re Z poles, Ive broken two now. The inner mechanism relies on a thin knotted string which can snap or break through the knot, particularly when the pole catches in peaty ground or scree.

stick with flicklocks

Mal Grey 16 Jun 2015
In reply to John Burns:

I've a pair of the Alpkit carbon poles. Very happy with them. I was looking to get Flicklocks of some type, but in the end the price was too tempting. They weigh so little, and so far the twistlock seems very reliable.

I had a great pair of Leki titanium poles which were ultra reliable, but unfortunately they were destroyed when my car got burnt out by some to55ers when parked up overnight in Oxfordshire.

Worst I've had were Lidl, which lasted me less than one walk before starting to slip when something broke in the twistlock. I was going to return them, but managed to drive over one outside the flat, completely destroying it, and I reckon that would have made the conversation a little harder. They cost £8, which was almost less than the fuel to drive to Lidl.

Siward 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Mal Grey:

Whereas my Aldi poles, although twist lock, are a carbon copy of much more expensive Lekis and have been very robust.

However I'm now a convert to telescopic, flick lock poles (Black Diamond) which are reliable and can easily be shortened for carrying ( didn't like their z poles for this reason)
 colinakmc 16 Jun 2015
In reply to John Burns:

I had a pair of Leki carbon fibre poles for years - expensive but really light & good. Only thing was I shattered 2 sections at different times with very similar incidents - pole goes down crevice in rock as I lose my footing placing high leverage on pole.then finally the bonded in lock thread for the twist lock failed in one section rendering 2 sections useless.
Now got BD flick lock poles, heavy and not that comfortable by comparison.
drmarten 16 Jun 2015
In reply to John Burns:
Flicklock for me. I bought a pair of Black Diamond flicklock poles last winter (2013/14) after my cheapie twist lock poles kept jamming solid in winter and couldn't be stowed away. I've carried them on an almost weekly basis since then and they are still going strong, I don't tend to use poles continuously but when I think my knees could do with a bit of help on downhills and on longer days out, I've also found poles in general very useful for river crossings.

My only gripe is I keep losing the wee rubber stoppers on the end and the noise from the metal tips is very annoying on stoney ground along with the depth they then sink to when not on stoney ground - I don't use those basket connections, maybe I should.
Post edited at 17:58
 allanscott 17 Jun 2015
In reply to becauseitsthere:

A good bargain which I have been using on and off for several months. Much superior to twist grip. Cheapos from Go Outdoors or Aldi etc are a waste of beer money frankly. That said, I still find poles a bit of a pain in the bum to use. I suspect they are best when carrying a big pack on a backpacking trip? Recently I have been leaving mine in the car more and more on day walks. Maybe my technique is wrong though.?
 Dave the Rave 17 Jun 2015
In reply to allanscott:
They are best left in the car. They're counter productive to normal movement in the hills. I've noticed less and less stick insects in the last five years, especially north of keswick.
I used to use them all the time but don't miss them at all now.
llechwedd 17 Jun 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Really long fingernails stiffened with garden canes might be the way to go instead of poles...
 Mike Nolan 18 Jun 2015
In reply to John Burns:

I really like my Black Diamond Distance FlickLock Z-Poles. Just need to make sure they dry out properly, I broke a pair when they completely seized up!
 FallingUp 18 Jun 2015
In reply to John Burns:

I bought two pairs of identical poles - Diamond Contour elliptic carbons. They were not cheap. With two sets, I both have a spare and can lend a pair to a partner as needed. To be clear: i suggest the 'carbon' version and the non-shock version. Diamond has since changed the nomenclature of their poles since i bought mine, but i am sure they still have a set that fit this basic profile. Normally, it is their most expensive non-runners and non-shock pole. I believe that "anti-shock" is not just a gimmick, but a counterproductive one.

They are by far the best hiking poles I have ever experienced, by far, and there have been many trips where those who at first look skeptically or disparagingly at my fancy poles by the end ask me where i got them. my two sets (on any given trip i just choose two at random as they're equally worn) have between them have been on 6 continents and dozens of trails and 3000m peaks and have performed flawlessly. Alas, on one of my recent trips (mexico), I stumbled on an easy section and stepped on one of the poles with my mountaineering boots, bending a section. Sourcing the correct repair part from diamond was easy.

why these poles:
- they're lightweight and strong.
- the "locking mechanism" is the best i've ever seen. it requires a 10 seconds screwdriver adjustment maybe once every few heavy use trips and that's it.
- the grips are exceptionally well engineered
- ive had them in deserts, jungles, and swamps, and everything in between. never an issue.
- the tip piece is made of what i can only assume to be some indestructable material that will survive the heat death event of the universe.

but, they do cost many many more times more than the trekmates others have suggested, so there's that.

Any 'twistlock' poles belong in my view in some museum of failed technology.

OP John Burns 21 Jun 2015
In reply to becauseitsthere:

These look a really good deal. What's the catch?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...