UKC

Getting back into bouldering after surgery

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jycalv95 17 Jun 2015
Hi
I have been climbing now for about a year, but over the last two months I've had to take a break from the wall due to a bad crohns flare up, which led to me having to have surgery to remove a foot of my small intestine. It's been about three weeks since the op and after speaking to my GP, he says I can start climbing again next week. I'm really excited to get back on the wall, but I need some advice on how/what I should start with?

My GP (who also climbs) recommended starting off with a bit of traversing on a warm up wall and then moving onto V0s for a bit.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar op, what helped them get back on form and is there anything I can do to help rebuild my core strength?
Thanks
 Beardyman 17 Jun 2015
In reply to Jycalv95:

I agree that traversing at a low level would be good so you avoid any jarring. 3 weeks after surgery, there will still be swelling and soft tissue damage so best to take it easy and build up slowly. Give it a few super easy sessions and see how you feel about it. Good luck with the recovery.
OP Jycalv95 18 Jun 2015
In reply to Beardyman:
Cheers I'll give it a go

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...