UKC

Cleaning Whute Grout

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Come on your domestic gods and goddesses, help is needed.

I need to clean the shower grout soon and want some tips. Anyone know how to get white back to looking white and black (floor tiles) back to looking more like black.

Ta

R
 mp3ferret 22 Jun 2015
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

bleach and a toothbrush will get the grout white again. Diluted bleach and a scrubbing brush will do the tiles.
 jimjimjim 22 Jun 2015
I clean loads of student bathrooms at this time of year as the houses become empty.
Heres what you do.
Get some thick bleach, some washing up liquid and a plastic paint kettle or bowl. Put a load of beach in, a bit of fairy and a little bit of water. Get an old paint Brush and paint it all over the area thick, and leave for 20 mins, repeat the process over and over letting the the bleach do the work. Rinse when ready. If it needs a De limescale do the same but with cilit bang bathroom after you've rinsed it. Be careful not to mix the two chemicals as it may or may not be dangerous. If it needs a bit of agitation use a washing up brush or the like. Works a treat youth
 Bobling 22 Jun 2015

Milton's sterilising fluid gets rid of the black goop on white grout if you leave it to soak for 12 hours or so.
 Mike-W-99 22 Jun 2015

Bicarbonate of soda, small amount of water and an old toothbrush did wonders for the grout in our old kitchen.
 Oldsign 22 Jun 2015

Make a paste from bleach and bicarb in a plastic bag. Cut a corner off the bag and pipe the paste onto the grout. Leave for an hour or two and then blitz it with a nail brush.
 lithos 23 Jun 2015
In reply to Oldsign:

i used bicard and bleach mix but with toothbrush, worked a treat but i used a ton more than expected, lef it on for 30 mins or so washed off with shower head,

Paul Hy 23 Jun 2015
In reply to mp3ferret:

DO not use bleach on grout, as it will destroy the grout over a very time, water will penetrate the grout and destroy the plaster and then the tiles fall off!!!
 Paul Hy 23 Jun 2015

use this, prob the best stuff you can get easily. http://www.diy.com/departments/hg-external-grout-cleaner-500ml/136830_BQ.pr...
 Baron Weasel 23 Jun 2015

Aldi have heavy duty grout cleaner in their specials this week.
 mp3ferret 23 Jun 2015
In reply to Paul Hy:

> DO not use bleach on grout, as it will destroy the grout over a very time, water will penetrate the grout and destroy the plaster and then the tiles fall off!!!

Not in the 20 something years I've been doing it. Not saying your wrong - but i suspect that the damage may be measured over aeons - rather something that a mere human may notice.
 gd303uk 23 Jun 2015

Sodium percarbonate bleach works well , as does demestos bleach mixed into a paste with bicarbe' and applied with tooth brush, leave on, scrub and rinse off.
In extreme cases you can remove grout with a steamer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...