UKC

Any recommendations for climbing near Lyon?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 youngtom 28 Jun 2015
We're going to be heading to a wedding south of Lyon in August and will have a few days for adventuring afterwards. I was wondering if anyone on here had any recommendations for any crags or mountains worth visiting? Also any guide books worth getting?
We'll have a car so are flexible with transport.
 MttSnr 28 Jun 2015
In reply to youngtom:

I'm just back from a weekend in Ailefroide. We went via Lyons Airport and its about a 4 hour drive from there. Lots of excellent multi-pitch sport on granite.
 TimB 28 Jun 2015
In reply to youngtom:

Just south of Lyon, or quite a bit south?

If it's the first one there's not much until you get down to the Drome, or even Ardeche.
OP youngtom 28 Jun 2015
In reply to TimB:

> Just south of Lyon, or quite a bit south?

The town is called Epinouze, it's about 70 km from Lyon I think. We're going to be driving back to the UK so it would be nice if we weren't going much further south.

The UKC crag database listed a few crags in the area so we might try them.

Flat Eric: that looks cool, heading out that way might work.
 TimB 28 Jun 2015
In reply to youngtom:
OK, if you're looking for close places for a quick visit there are these:
http://climbingaway.fr/fr/site-escalade/pont-de-vergelet
http://climbingaway.fr/fr/site-escalade/tour-de-montleans

But it'll be hot.

If you really do have a few days then heading to the hills is the best idea. Ailefroide is great, but it's not on the way back to the UK. You could head northeast and go somewhere around Annecy.

PS the map on climbingaway is a bit more complete than the UKC database
Post edited at 22:34
 Shuttsie 29 Jun 2015
In reply to youngtom:

La drome at buis les baronies or les dentelles
 Nick_Scots 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Shuttsie:

Stacks of crags around Lake Annecy and close to Chamonix.

Col de Colombiere etc. All going north back to the UK.
 IPPurewater 29 Jun 2015
In reply to youngtom:

You will be quite close to the Vercours. There is a sport crag at Lans En Vercours, which has a good spread of grades. There is also Presles near Pont en Royan, but the routes there are long and generally harder - i.e. HVS or above.

One of the best show caves I've ever been in is at Choranche in the Vercours. This is worth a visit.
 Carless 29 Jun 2015
In reply to youngtom:

If you don't want to go out of your way back then have a look at the crags round Dijon eg. Cormot, Hauteroche, Saffres, Fixin etc

for the stuff round Annecy have a look at http://www.escalade-74.com/ - click Falaises
the stuff round the lake will probably be too hot but higher up in the Aravis can be great in summer
 Somerville 30 Jun 2015
In reply to youngtom:

djion
OP youngtom 01 Jul 2015
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I'll have a look at them all and see what we have time to fit in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...