UKC

A DIY Van Conversion for under £70

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 natetan 07 Jul 2015
I converted my estate in to a micro-camper for £65.. it is pretty comfortable for one and has tonnes of storage.

My bro made a short video showing (more-or-less) how it was made so I thought I would share it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GIlQmW8jus&index=5&list=PLpCjmWB1B...
 gd303uk 07 Jul 2015
In reply to natetan:

Link isn't working for me
OP natetan 08 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

Ah bugger - not sure what happened there..

Here is the link; youtube.com/watch?v=_GIlQmW8jus&
 gribble 08 Jul 2015
In reply to natetan:

I like that! Simple and cheap, and very removable.
 gethin_allen 08 Jul 2015
In reply to natetan:
A tidy idea, gives me ideas about what you could do with something a bit larger like a mondeo.
A lick of paint or some carpet and a few bits of trim around the storage holes and that would look quite smart.
My only concern would be if you were to load it all up, with driver you'd have all the weight on one side.
 La benya 08 Jul 2015
In reply to natetan:

I'm looking to do the exact same thing with my estate!
All my surfing/ climbing friends have vans which are f*cking useless.
They only have two seats and the small ones (berlingo type) can't fit a board longer than 6ft, let alone a person over 6ft.
I still maintain an estate is the ultimate vehicle when it comes to usefulness, not a van. You can transport 5 people and their gear, longer boards, sleeps two comfortably, better mpg etc
Considering you didn't know the size of your baton, I'm impressed with your carpentry skills. Well done!
 planetmarshall 08 Jul 2015
In reply to natetan:

Great, but -1 for recording a video and speaking to the camera while driving.
 gd303uk 08 Jul 2015
In reply to natetan:

i like that, great use of space,
has me thinking about trying a conversion myself.
 Neil Williams 08 Jul 2015
In reply to natetan:

Looks cool, though gear is perhaps a bit visible (i.e. nickable) compared with being under the parcel shelf so perhaps a modification there?
 ChrisJD 08 Jul 2015
In reply to natetan:

Nice job!
OP natetan 08 Jul 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

Yes - the weight is on one side, but unfortunately due to the seating configuration - if you want to maintain flexibility of using seats - it sort of forces you down that route.

I was thinking of putting heavier gear in a haul bag and put that on the other side during longer journeys. Or if always had extra gear just use the front seat to hold it when sleeping.
OP natetan 08 Jul 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:

Yea - agreed. I will make some window covers anyway - basically so you can black out the back of the car for sleeping and security.

Not quite figured it out yet.. I guess cardboard glued to fabric will do the job. Might use some 10mm sq neodymium magnets I have so they are easily removed.

Either way it will provide a way for gear to be out of sight
 jkarran 08 Jul 2015
In reply to natetan:

Looks good. Window covers from yoga/roll mat keep light out and heat in. Spray glue and tape a layer of foil blanket to the outside for use in sunnier climes.

jk
 obi-wan nick b 08 Jul 2015
In reply to natetan: Maybe it's just me but haven't you just reduced the effective carrying capacity of an estate down to one person unless you are really very friendly types! Whereas if you were using tents then there's probably enough room for 3 people with gear.

ChrisJD 08 Jul 2015
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

I'm sure it suits his needs!
 goose299 08 Jul 2015
In reply to natetan:

All your stuff is too on show and liable to be nicked but awesome job though
OP natetan 08 Jul 2015
In reply to goose299:

Thanks! As above - I plan to blank out the windows at the back anyway which should sort that problem out.
OP natetan 08 Jul 2015
In reply to obi-wan nick b:
I only want it to be for one person so it works in that respect..

The issue with sleeping with a car full of gear is you can never use the full height of the car as it falls down and gets in the way. In the past I just shift everything to the front - but that is time consuming and not ideal and it does limit how much you can take while managing this. Making it compartmentalised also makes organising it easier - and takes it out of easy to nick bags full of kit

During transit/or in dodgy areas I will lock some gear up in pacsafe bag locks securing key valuable gear to the car body - most theft is opportunistic so it is enough to keep stuff safe.

This way you can use the full height of half the entire back of the car - which is actually space for an awful lot of gear - and retain the other side always for sleeping without hassle.
Post edited at 17:36
OP natetan 08 Jul 2015
In reply to jkarran:

Cool - good tip... thanks!
In reply to mark_wellin:

> Considering you didn't know the size of your baton, I'm impressed with your carpentry skills. Well done!

It's an interesting bespoke construction...

Top carpentry tip, though; when fixing thin wood to thick wood, screw from the thin side... Screw head spreads the load and pulls the joint together, and the tip of the screw bites deep into the thick wood.
 goose299 09 Jul 2015
In reply to natetan:

Must have missed that bit. My bad!
 verticon 10 Jul 2015
In reply to natetan:

I have the same car (but the brand is Opel instead of Vauxhall) but when I sleep inside I must lay down diagonally because the distance from the front seat to the rear door is about 1.70 m and I'm 1.85 m tall. How do you fit inside ?!
OP natetan 10 Jul 2015
In reply to verticon:

If you push the passenger seat forward/adjust it to be more upright you can push the double seat back further. Put something between head-rest-bit and underside of the seat to keep it forward as it tends to spring back. You might need to slide the driver seat forward a little as the end of the double seat hits that too when you push it fully back.

If you put your pillow over the gap - you should be good to go. Full stretch is snug - but it easily gives you the extra 15cm. I tend to sleep on my side so it feels pretty ok space wise.
 verticon 10 Jul 2015
In reply to natetan:

I was also thinking... As far as you're driving and climbing all alone (I've seen the Silent Partner on your gear sling ), if you take off the back seats and make a plywood bridge ove the gap, you enlarge the living space and you also get some extra room for your stuff. (I'll take a look at my car to see if this would be possible...)
OP natetan 10 Jul 2015
In reply to verticon:

Haha well spotted.. I did think of that - but it looked a bit tricky to get the seats out and/or back in - and I am lazy! Plus I want to keep the option of driving friends who visit around when I am based in Spain, with-appartment, for a few months (as cheap as camping!).

bigbobbyking 10 Jul 2015
In reply to natetan:

Thanks for the inspiration. Looks like a good idea. Also have an Astra so might investigate something similar. I reckon it is too small for me to sleep in though
 Ciro 10 Jul 2015
In reply to mark_wellin:

> I still maintain an estate is the ultimate vehicle when it comes to usefulness, not a van. You can transport 5 people and their gear, longer boards, sleeps two comfortably, better mpg etc

Having had both, I wouldn't go back to an estate... maybe I'm getting old, but it's too cold in the winter. The other three guys can find their own transport
 Sharp 11 Jul 2015
In reply to natetan:
Nice one, interesting set up. I've been sleeping in the back of an estate for years (and unfortunately a hatch back before that) and done something similar with my outback. I always found the height of the back uncomfortable though for longer use ( can only lie and not sit) so wanted to use the back seat area as seating with a fold down bed, I mostly use it alone in winter but it also needed to be able to sleep two comfortably at times, which it does with an extra panel. I also need to use the rear as a normal load carrying space so needed to be relatively simple. Here's some pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/64k8w0orbpb3pqj/AADvV-OCNTNuGHT7YIJSR0LSa?dl=0

I stripped the back out and replaced with chipboard which gave me a suprising amount of extra room (an extra 6 inches head height in the seats, got some foam from amazon for the seat and the bed, the bed i cut into three so the bed platform folds out then the foam concertinas over it, covered it with an old cut up duvet cover sewn to fit but I have a huge brown cord curtain which I'd like to cover it in properly. With the seat forward fully there's about 6'4 length front to back. If my lady is with me then theres a removable section which covers the other side and the foam from the seat comes out and doubles up to act as the bed. For curtains I sewed up an old curtain and used old tv cable to run along the sides, a silver sun reflector works well for the front window.

Had a nice trip to Islay at spring in it and it was comfortable for two even with the odd patch of bad weather and it's great for weekend trips to the lakes. In winter it's superb, having a 4x4 car is so much nicer to drive around than a van when it's snowy.

A roof box is essential when there are two of you, worth it's weight in gold for longer trips and for organising gear. TK max do a good line in canvas and wicker storage boxes and I find one for the kitchen and one for clothes works well.

It's still largely unfinished because I'm lazy but I'd like to paint or cover the plywood and build a clothes box which would act as the support for the extra bed panel (at the moment I just use a wooden leg which slots into a hole). I'm currently fantasising about a defender though which having looked at some of the fold up roof conversions looks just about perfect - just incredibly expensive to buy run and of course what you gain in being super cool you loose in comfort.
Post edited at 09:48
 Timmd 11 Jul 2015
In reply to mark_wellin:

> I'm looking to do the exact same thing with my estate!

> All my surfing/ climbing friends have vans which are f*cking useless.

> They only have two seats and the small ones (berlingo type) can't fit a board longer than 6ft, let alone a person over 6ft.

> I still maintain an estate is the ultimate vehicle when it comes to usefulness, not a van. You can transport 5 people and their gear, longer boards, sleeps two comfortably, better mpg etc

> Considering you didn't know the size of your baton, I'm impressed with your carpentry skills. Well done!

I've been thinking a transit with two rows of seating could be good, with the rest of the van converted for sleeping in, not sure what wheel base length would be needed.
 Neil Williams 11 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Probably LWB - SWB ones are not very long.

Neil
 La benya 11 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

My vectra estate is 4 inches (I think) longer than a swb transporter. Obviously the load space isn't as long, but not far off.
 Neil Williams 12 Jul 2015
In reply to mark_wellin:
Vectra estates are massive. I've got one - it's a tank - so long that it can be a bit of a nuisance in some car parks. Really practical for transporting "stuff" though (and if I'm not transporting "stuff" I'd rather be on the train or cycling).

Neil
Post edited at 11:29
OP natetan 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Sharp:

Taking out the seats definitely looks like it gives a more comfortable length!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...