UKC

Crag stones access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Obi Wan 17 Jul 2015
Crag Stones

Has anybody been recently? We attempted a visit last night but it seems the farmer has chopped down the stile. It is obvious where the stile used to be as the feet are still present on either side but there is no stile, and the wall has been built up across the opening.
We didn't fancy spoiling it for others by risking annoying any land owners etc, so we plumbe for plan b (reef knoll) instead.

Has access been removed or is it just a farmer being grumpy?

sxrxg 17 Jul 2015
In reply to Obi Wan:

According to DEFRA the permissive path access ended September 2014 (cwr.defra.gov.uk/mapboards/pdfs/216680020.pdf). The farmer is probably therefore well within his rights to remove the stile and access with it only being a permissive path.

When I last went I used the footpath through the woods and then jumped the stream to access the open access land of marl hill moor, this avoids having to climb the wall and the potential of any damage being caused.

The other option would be to park to the north and take the public footpath to the building marked stone fold on the OS map, you can then go across access land over crag hill to access crag stones from the the back.
OP Obi Wan 17 Jul 2015
In reply to sxrxg:

Ah thought it might be something like that. Thanks for the info.
 robin mueller 17 Jul 2015
In reply to Obi Wan:

That's a shame, but it sounds like access is still possible from elsewhere. I'll add some details on the website.

I did once meet a farmer up there, who was quite happy for me to climb on the rocks.
OP Obi Wan 17 Jul 2015
In reply to robin mueller:

Yeah, not sure which farmer the wall/stile would have belonged to; presumably Crimpton farm nearby. Hey ho, I will give the other way in a go.
As it was, had quite a pleasant session at reef knoll instead......but now I am stuck on "finger pie", which is driving me mad. Can't move from the last pocket to the finishing hold.
 robin mueller 17 Jul 2015
In reply to sxrxg:

> When I last went I used the footpath through the woods and then jumped the stream to access the open access land of marl hill moor, this avoids having to climb the wall and the potential of any damage being caused.

Where is this footpath? I can't see it on the online o.s. map.

> The other option would be to park to the north and take the public footpath to the building marked stone fold on the OS map, you can then go across access land over crag hill to access crag stones from the the back.

Yes, I've walked up from that building, though I went down the road rather than the footpath. The footpath would be better as I think the road might be private.
 sxrxg 17 Jul 2015
In reply to robin mueller:

The footpath is the one that goes almost directly south (towards browsholme heights) from the usual parking by the stile. I went about 20m into the woods and then split off left jumping the stream and rejoining the old permissive path on the access land (you could stay above the wall on access land all the way to the crag, I didn't bother though being so far away from any roads/people and followed the old path that goes back into the field crag stones is located in).

As for the other route I have never tried coming in from that way. The road should be OK to walk along though being on access land?
 robin mueller 24 Jul 2015
In reply to sxrxg:

Ok, I've updated the website with a small map screenshot. http://www.lancashirebouldering.com/projects/

Cheers for the info!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...