UKC

single leg squats - in front or behind?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 24 Jul 2015

Ive been doing single leg squats to help with ITB pain, and its working! however ive not worked out whether having the non working leg out infront or behind is best.
I know I could carry on doing both, but I want to be more specific.

Non working leg....
Behind/knee bent - more natural bend as you would walking / running
In front/straight leg - also called pistol squat - more traditional squat position.

What do you think?
Post edited at 15:44
 tinytom 24 Jul 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:
Cant really offer any advice as I don't know, but doing it with the leg behind seems like it would be easier, and therefore less stresfull. I've tried doing it with the leg infront...and can't get back up! But then again im not sure if your supposed to go all the way down
Post edited at 15:59
 Oogachooga 24 Jul 2015

Good form will benefit you more than the leg position. If it's working then I say keep doing what you're doing.

Pistol squats 'ass to the grass' are the best for working your legs out though.
 williemiller 24 Jul 2015

I'm doing these at the moment along with a couple of other exercises to ease ITB problems. I have been advised to do them with a straight leg out in front. I'm getting less pain and less often than before but still having to limit what I do, especially proper mountain runs. I'd be interested to hear what else if anything you have found that helps.
OP The Potato 24 Jul 2015
In reply to williemiller:
Initially using a slightly thicker heeled shoe if you have one, but it does take time to strengthen these muscles.

Side leg raises with ankle weight (lie on your side and lift leg straight)
Hip hike (google it)
Single leg bridge.

Important with squat is to keep your knee inline with your foot - the knee falling inwards when pushing up is what causes the itb pain
Post edited at 17:13
cb294 24 Jul 2015

Different muscle recruitment entirely, so both.....

Back in the day I would do "leg back" single leg squats, full weight on the front foot and toes, heel off the ground, and leaning slightly forward. Sets were done as as repeats of explosive movements, with maybe 30 to 50 kg on the shoulders, to improve inter- and intramuscular coordination. This mainly recruits a muscle chain that includes your lower back, bum, front of thigh, and back of calves.

Pistol squats were done mostly nonweighted, with the heels on the ground (but often slightly raised by placing the heels on a thin judo mat). Main purpose here was to recruit the ischiocrural (back of thigh) musculature for leg extension.

So, rather different purposes for such similar looking exercises.

CB
In reply to cb294:

Another great response thanks cb
 Roadrunner5 24 Jul 2015
In reply to Oogachooga:

> Good form will benefit you more than the leg position. If it's working then I say keep doing what you're doing.

> Pistol squats 'ass to the grass' are the best for working your legs out though.

He's not working his legs though, he's most probably targeting working his gluts. ITB is often a butt issue. It's not what is best, it's what targets what.

I'd go back. But it depends where your issue is.

I'd also do clam shells and two legged squats, plus power band work, side steps, really work the glut medius. In runners it's notoriously under fired for such an important stability muscle.

However also walk through the running motion, when fit you should feel in control, with poor stability, often associated with ITB issues you will wobble through the steps.

Oh yeah forgot about resistance band side walk, but was advised against clams, not sure why - sports physio
rob sykes 31 Jul 2015

i've been using exercises from this site:

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/hip-strengthening-for-r...

(scroll down for single leg squat)

my disclaimer would be that I'm doing them to build up gluts rather than for specific itb pain. i'm quite weak on my right side due to a previous ankle injury. at first i could hardly do squats and regularly fell over but after a couple of weeks i'm much better.

whatever you do, i wish you a speedy recovery.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...