UKC

New wide angle/general purpose lens for Canon 500D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshireman 26 Jul 2015
I've been searching through threads on here plus looking elsewhere but as things move on, I thought I'd ask the question anew to see if there were any recent developments/changes of opinion.

A few years back I bought a Canon 500D, and started to dabble in photography. I'm lapsed and am only starting to get back into it (with an SLR at least). I've got a 50mm prime, a decent L 200mm telephoto and the standard all purpose, crappy kit lens (18-55) that came with the camera.

I'm looking for a replacement for the kit lens which will be versatile enough to keep on for most of the day, but also be good for mountain landscapes and so low light/night photography.

I thought I'd settled on the EF-S 17-55 mm f/2.8 IS USM until I read a bad review saying it wasn't worth the money, and at around £500 its probably at about the limit of what I can get away with paying right now.

Then I stumbled across a review of the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Zoom Lens which seems to be a low-cost, standard upgrade to the kit lens (or at least the latest version) and gets good reviews.

http://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/18-55mm-stm.htm

But is the difference significantly better? And am I better off spending more on something that will give me better results and won't be outgrown so quickly?
 Skyfall 26 Jul 2015
In reply to yorkshireman:

The lens I bought to do the same job was the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which was really good on a canon crop body. Sharp, clear, fast.

CrushUnit 26 Jul 2015

I had the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 which you can pick up for about £300. Very sharp and well built. Worth a look.
 john1963 26 Jul 2015

Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM .great lens.
 HarmM 27 Jul 2015

you thought about the 17-40 f4 L? got mine off eBay for £360 in good condition, or the EF-s10-22 f35-4.5?

got both and have served me really well
 Murderous_Crow 27 Jul 2015
You won't go wrong with any of the suggestions above, some very good lenses. Personally I dislike APS-C-specific lenses but that's only so as I have the capability to use my current glass when I (eventually) go full-frame. I'm sure the EF-S type ones mentioned above are good.

I have the 17-40 L series, it's great.
Post edited at 12:32
 Skyfall 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Murderous_Crow:

I used a 17-40 on a crop and then went full frame and, perhaps oddly, I use it less now. It was a bit short of reach for a mid range zoom on a crop in reality but a v nice lens. It works well if you don't mind having to switch lenses a fair amount and have something to fill the gap.

Rob84 27 Jul 2015

I've got a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens for sale at the moment, used but good condition - no scratches to lens, fitted and always used with UV filter. I'm looking for £120 plus postage at cost or pick up from Manchester - drop me an email if you're interested or want to know more. Cheers, Rob
 robhorton 27 Jul 2015

What exactly do you find crappy about the kit lens?

I've got an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM and would really recommend it - in particular the auto focus is incredibly fast and the sharpness is very good. I'll admit that I've not tried but the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 but I'd be very surprised if it produces significantly better images than the 18-55. Given the price difference I'd go with the 18-55.
OP yorkshireman 27 Jul 2015
In reply to robhorton:

Thanks everybody - loads of suggestions, so more confusion!

> What exactly do you find crappy about the kit lens?

> I've got an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM and would really recommend it - in particular the auto focus is incredibly fast and the sharpness is very good. I'll admit that I've not tried but the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 but I'd be very surprised if it produces significantly better images than the 18-55. Given the price difference I'd go with the 18-55.

My kit lens is from about 5 or 6 years ago when the 500D was new - the one you have is the one referenced above which now gets good reviews. I'm a bit loathe to pay for something that's pretty much the same though, so would prefer to go for a different range to give myself more flexibility.

I want something wider, for landscapes - I've just taken a punt on the 10-18 Canon lens which like the new kit lens is cheap but gets decent reviews. I figure if I get into it, I can get something nicer.

Going to Iceland for a week on Saturday so wanted something to capture the scenery a bit better. I need to remind myself its not all about the camera though!
 CrushUnit 27 Jul 2015

I was in the same position, I had the 18-55 kit on a 500d, there was a notable improvement when I bumped up to the sigma 17-50. I don't think the image quality will bump will be that notable on the stm version.

I now have a 16-35 f4 (incredible but out of your budget) on a full frame and i actually find at its widest end it is a bit dull for landscapes (everything is too small) and that the sweet spot is around 20mm-24mm, which is about 14-19 ish on a crop
In reply to Skyfall:
Use my 17-40 all the time along side my 70-200 L. Don't find any problem with a gap between 40 and 70 and certainly don't find I change lenses too frequently. I use it on a 7d btw.

Skyfall 13 Aug 2015
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

That was my point. I used it a lot on my crop 60D like your 7D but somehow use it less on my full frame 5D. On a crop it's a very nice range though there is a gap if you don't have a true mid range lens (zoom or prime).
 mark s 14 Aug 2015

Sigma 17-50 cost 250 from a Hong Kong based website.superb on my 60d
 peppermill 16 Aug 2015

Probably a bit wider than you want but the tokina 11-16 f2.8 is awesome, I've used one for years now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...