UKC

Pain along centre of foot when running?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Eann 01 Aug 2015

Hi All,

I am suffering some pain along the centre of my foot when running (see image here - http://imgur.com/VODnGS1 )

I also seem to experience the same pain when walking if wearing particularly flat trainers, or shoes without any arch support.

I've searched around the net in an attempt to self diagnose and come across an article on Plantar fasciitis ( http://www.webmd.boots.com/foot-care/plantar-fasciitis-symptoms-diagnosis-t... ).

Plantar Fasciitis appears to describe similar symptoms, with the exception of heal pain - I don't have pain "at the front or centre of the heel bone".

The only shoes which seems to reduce the problem are those with good arch support, however the problem still seems to flare up (and has done for several years now).

Any advice or experience on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
E
Post edited at 20:09
 mountainbagger 01 Aug 2015
In reply to Eann:

Well I don't know if it's PF but I have some discomfort in the same area as you highlighted from time to time. I think it flares up from forefoot striking (I never had it before I started doing this), particularly running hard (e.g. intervals or downhill fast). Or it could have coincided with me doing some running in some very stiff-soled Salomons as opposed to my super comfy Asics! Not really sure but it's not currently getting any worse and possibly fading away now I'm back to using my Asics most of the time. I've also reduced the amount of hard running I'm doing forefoot striking and mixed some heel striking back in (as I used to do this 100% of the time a year ago).

If you've been suffering for this long though, maybe see a pro (podiatrist?).
 Root1 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Eann:

Sounds like P.F.
There are lots of exercises online if you google for them.
I rolled a can of beans across the floor under my foot to stretch the Plantar Fascia. Doing this several times a day eventually resolved it.
Robyn Vacher 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Root1:

I use both a golfball and a soft child's ball to work my feet. Do it every night when in front of the telly
Rigid Raider 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Eann:

Why do humans still run around when God gave us the brains to invent then ride bicycles?
In reply to Eann:

Sounds like PF.

Very few people have all the textbook symptoms of a medical condition, some have most of the textbook conditions, few have only a few, a minority have no symptoms but still have the condition! Each week I deal with several people with heart attacks, some have the full house of left sided chest pain that is heavy, extending to their left arm and left jaw with sweats, vomiting and shortness of breath and with the feeling of impending doom, some have just a bit of niggling discomfort that comes and goes, some just feel vaguely not quite right, but all are having a heart attack. You don't need to exactly fit a description of symptoms to have the diagnosis.
 Uluru 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Eann:

Hi Eann, I got PF last year when doing a lot of training. I rested it, rolled firstly with a bottle filled with ice then a golf ball and saw a sports physio and podiatrist,

I now run with inserts in my shoes. I was going to pay for personalised ones but touch wood I seem to have got by with the black superfeet inserts. Could be worth a try when you've rested up?

I do still get slight twinges if I wear flip flops for a few days in a row.
MikeSimouns 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Eann:

I am not an expert but it's better if you see a Podiatrist for a proper consultation and clear explanation.
 Roadrunner5 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Eann:

Sounds like PF, however the cause can be anything so get assessed properly. I managed mine by better shoes, more softer terrain running and iceing but eventually got rid of it when properly assessed and found I had inflexible ankles and tight calf muscles forcing too much pressure through my plantar region.

Good luck, it takes a while to get rid of and you need to keep on top of the cause as it is an injury which can flare up quite a lot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...