UKC

Replacement for panasonic LX-7

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d_b 12 Aug 2015
I lost my compact & EVF last weekend, and need a new one in a hurry so I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement.

I'm after something with as many of the following features as possible:
- Fast, wide lens
- Decent sized sensor for low light
- Reasonably affordable as I haven't budgeted for this
- Either hotshoe or internal level.
- No more bulky than the panasonic - it was close to the top of my "compact" size range already.

Things that would be nice:
- EVF or addon for bright light.

I'm thinking of just getting a like for like replacement but would be interested to know if there are any reasonable alternatives. I could be tempted to spend more for something special but would rather not.
 ChrisJD 12 Aug 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

The LX-100 immediately springs to mind? But it is twice the price...
OP d_b 12 Aug 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

Is it the same size? Pictures I have seen make it look bigger.
 Only a hill 12 Aug 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:
Fujifilm X30. Bigger sensor and superb ergonomics – built rather like a classic rangefinder. The lens is 28-112mm equivalent and f/2 at the widest focal length. I have one of these cameras and it's superb. It takes better images than the Pentax DSLR with an APS-C sensor I've used.

Edit: it is slightly larger and heavier, but a substantially better camera than the Panasonic.
Post edited at 12:23
 ChrisJD 12 Aug 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:
http://camerasize.com/compare/#350,569

It is deeper, but has viewfinder built in
Post edited at 12:22
 Only a hill 12 Aug 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Here is my X30 compared to my Olympus Trip 35:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_roddie/19696466880/in/album-721576570497...
OP d_b 12 Aug 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

That is a v useful site. I shall be using it to look up all the suggestions. Thanks!
 ChrisJD 12 Aug 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

It is

The depth always catches me out with lenses
OP d_b 18 Aug 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

After much agonizing and trying to convince myself I could afford an LX-100 I decided to give the X-30 a go. My first non Panasonic compact in a long time!
 Only a hill 18 Aug 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

I think you'll enjoy it. Image quality is superb at low ISOs and it's a real pleasure to shoot with. If you're looking at filters, it takes 40mm thread - 40.5mm won't fit, but you can get step up rings to 49mm or 52mm. I recommend the official lens hood too.
 Adam Long 18 Aug 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

I had an LX-5 and was very excited when the Fuji X-10 came out. I handled one and hated it. I now use an LX-7. I'd make sure you handle the Fuji before committing, I'm not convinced there is a better option than the LX-7 on the market at the moment - 24mm equiv for starters, plus the aspect ratio switch which is for me the killer feature.
OP d_b 18 Aug 2015
In reply to Adam Long:
I have already ordered one, so too late.

Do you have any use for a spare Panasonic charger? I don't have any batteries compatible with it any more.
Post edited at 15:08
 Only a hill 18 Aug 2015
In reply to Adam Long:

To be fair, the X10 is a very different camera. The X30 has a better grip so is easier to hold, has the front control ring which makes a big difference to manual mode and manual focusing, and an EVF instead of the optical peephole of the X10.
 Adam Long 18 Aug 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Thanks for the offer, but I've already got a spare from the LX-5 which I lost.

Hope you like it. If the EVF is similar to the X100 it should be excellent and an improvement on the LX-7. The OVF on the x-10 was awful. My other issue was the lens was bulkier than I expected.
 Glyno 18 Aug 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

I think you'll love the X30. If it's anything like my X100s (and it doesn't look too dissimilar), it's an absolute pleasure to handle.
OP d_b 18 Aug 2015
In reply to Glyno:

I always liked the sensors on the old Fujifilm SLRs, even though they were way behind the curve when it came to speed, integration etc. I'm looking forward to seeing what their more modern sensors can do.
 kevin stephens 18 Aug 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

> I'm after something with as many of the following features as possible:

> - Fast, wide lens
YES f2.8 28mm equivalent (who needs zoom?)

> - Decent sized sensor for low light
YES APSC size sensor 16 MP

> - Reasonably affordable as I haven't budgeted for this
Ummm......

> - Either hotshoe or internal level.

> - No more bulky than the panasonic - it was close to the top of my "compact" size range already.
YES SUPER COMPACT

Ricoh GR II
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/ricoh-gr-ii-review-27907
 Only a hill 22 Aug 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

If anyone is interested, I've just reviewed the X30 on my site.
http://www.alexroddie.com/2015/08/fujifilm-x30-mirrorless-compact-camera-re...
OP d_b 23 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Did you find a way around the long exposure issue I mentioned in the other thread?
 Only a hill 23 Aug 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Just seen that. I hadn't noticed the problem - although when I was trying to photograph the Perseids I noticed I was limited to a 30-second shutter speed. Hence my conclusion that it isn't a camera for astrophotograhy!

All cameras have compromises, I guess.
interdit 23 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Alex, the header image on your blog is overflowing way off my screen on my laptop when using most, but not all, browsers.
The image is constrained to being max-width: 100% of it's container, but the container is a link and that is not constrained to the size of its parent container and overflows.

Try adding max-width: 100%; to the following:
http://www.alexroddie.com/wp-content/themes/lovecraft/style.css
line 286:
.blog-logo { display: inline-block; }
 petestack 23 Aug 2015
In reply to interdit:

> Try adding max-width: 100%; to the following:
> http://www.alexroddie.com/wp-content/themes/lovecraft/style.css
> line 286:
> .blog-logo { display: inline-block; }

Better to make your changes to a child theme if you're using a theme you didn't design yourself and might want to update sometime...

interdit 23 Aug 2015
In reply to petestack:

> Better to make your changes to a child theme if you're using a theme you didn't design yourself and might want to update sometime...

You are correct. I'd assumed Alex had written this one himself.
 Only a hill 23 Aug 2015
In reply to interdit:

Hi, thanks for this – I'm still tweaking the theme, as others have reported similar issues. Have sent you a PM.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...