UKC

Shipwreck cove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Man city 30 Aug 2015
Are there any issues with climbing at shipwreck cove on the gower.
Heard on the grapevine there maybe some issues with a farmer?
Any knowledge would be great, as am heading there for a couple of days at the start of a family break next weekend.

Many thanks
 mattrm 30 Aug 2015
In reply to Man city:

I'm local and I'd reckon I'd probably have heard if there were any issues. But seeing as you don't top out at the crag, the land is owned by the National Trust (who were consulted before any bolting happened) and access it via the beach, you should be ok. That's worth being aware of, some parts of the crag are *very* tidal, so be aware of the tide times and keep an eye on the time and tide.

If not there's lots of other good climbing on the Gower, so I'm sure you'll find something to do.
OP Man city 30 Aug 2015
In reply to Man city:

That's great thanks mattrm.

Is the path down off road pram friendly?

Plus, any ideas where I can buy tops from.

Thanks again, helpful
 Gael Force 30 Aug 2015
In reply to Man city:

Topo's are free on SWMC site and the path down is actually tarmac till u get on the beach.. I was there about a month ago no issues, and you don't top out anyway as above. Clip stick is handy to start due to barnacles and sand level dropping a bit
 The Ivanator 30 Aug 2015
In reply to Man city:

The other thing to be aware of when climbing at Shipwreck is the tides, the Mermaid Wall sector in particular has a short tidal window and remains inaccessible even at low tide with Neaps, low tide height needs to be 2m or less to get to Mermaid wall with dry feet.
Access window for that sector varies a fair bit, but is never more than 5 hours even on a Spring low. Check tide tables closely to maximise your opportunities. The hard stuff in Shipwreck cove proper has a longer tidal window, and Castaway cove has a few mid grade things that don't get cut off quite so quickly.
OP Man city 30 Aug 2015
In reply to The Ivanator:

Thanks for the info.

Looking forward to it.
Guess some recce of tide restrictions , without pram and 1yr old would be a good plan.
Thanks guys
 Gael Force 30 Aug 2015
In reply to Man city:

Yeah Ivanator is spot on re tides when I was there it was impossible to climb at Mermaid wall, however Shipwreck was ok. Check tidal heights.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...