UKC

Changing the front ring on my roadbike.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Busby 30 Aug 2015
Currently got a SR Suntour XCT, 48/38/28T, 170mm Crank at the front, at present I find the peddles are running out of steam before I am, was wondering what folks would recommend switching it with that would be easily compatible without having to bugger about with the front derailleur too much.

Only used the bottom ring once so not too precious about losing it if needs be.

Cheers in advance peeps!

Iain
 sleavesley 30 Aug 2015
In reply to Busby:

What have you got on the rear?
It may be easier to change the cassette dependent on what you have?
What bike is it on?
OP Busby 30 Aug 2015
In reply to Busby:

Got one of these just now;

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-cross-sport-disc-15?bct...

Pretty happy with the standard spec, but like I said I'm wanting more from the gearing, just not sure if I need to change the whole set-up or if I can get away with the front rings...

sleavesley 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Busby:

You're governed by the limitations of what your dérailleur can cope with. This on your bike is a maximum front distance of 16T and a total capacity of 37T.
So you could probably get away with a 50 chain ring instead of the 48. (This exceeds it but you can usually get away with a bit extra.
You would then have to size up your chain (get a new one). Move your front dérailleur to accommodate the larger chainring and make sure it's set up properly.

You currently have a set up that gives your just over 117 gear inches. At a cadence of 90 = 31.5mph.
The question is how much faster do you want to go than this? Obviously if your cadence is more than this your speed increases.
I would suggest to keep riding your 12kg bike for now and put any money you were going to spend towards a second hand bike with at least a 105 group set. Are you set on a cyclocross bike? If not look at road bikes. Are you just riding flat or hills? This all changes what gearing you want on the bike. If I lived in Norfolk I'd probably have a double. As it is in North Wales I have a compact. If you haven't got a clue what I'm writing then you need to do some reading on Sheldon Browns website.
OP Busby 01 Sep 2015
In reply to sleavesley:

Cheers for that, sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

Went for a cycle cross cause
A: Thought it looked purty.
and
B: I've always had MTB's so figured I'd wreck a dedicated roadbike frame pretty quickly by playing too rough.

Your numbers are pretty spot on as well but as I say I'm finding that the gears are running out of steam before me, though that's usually on downhills.

Ultimately though I'm either looking at replacing the whole system (front sprocket, rear cassette, chain) or getting myself another toy. I know the golden number is N+1 but can't really justify a third bike, no bloody space for it for a start...

As for top speed, not going to be happy till I crack 50!!!

sleavesley 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Busby:

If you don't want a new bike then, a tiagra groupset will cost you £220 from Merlin cycles (always had excellent service).
Although I would go for 105 5800 11 speed complete groupset with a 36/52 front chain ring at a cost of £300.
If your handy you'll do the work yourself.
You'll just need some bar tape in addition and also wheels that will take an 11 speed cassette!!

This is why I was saying a new bike as sometimes it's just cheaper and easier.

Otherwise just for chainset will be around £50 and just find one that's 8 speed compatible.
 steveriley 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Busby:

At top speed you're arguably going to get bigger gains by getting into a proper tuck than trying to pedal. Find a bigger hill, pedal harder at the top and tuck in. A 50 tooth chainring should give most of us all the speed we need - try pedalling faster?
 Bob 02 Sep 2015
In reply to SteveRi:

+1

By the time I'm up to 50kmh I'm looking at coasting/freewheeling anyway. I've a compact groupset so 50T big ring and an 11-28 cassette and I rarely use either the 12T or 11T sprockets, my legs aren't strong enough these days

Easy to get to 70kmh+ on a hill without trying

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...