UKC

MSR Multi Fuel stoves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
HB47 10 Sep 2015
I need to replace my MSR stoves , after 25 years it needs replacing - looking at the new ones available it looks like the dragonfly or the whisperlite are the best options - anyone have experience of both and know the pros and cons

Thanks
 d_b 10 Sep 2015
In reply to HB47:
The multifuel version of the whisperlite is vastly superior to the dragonfly if you want a reliable go anywhere stove. If you really enjoy stripping things down before and after cooking and your stove absolutely positively has to be noisy the dragonfly is great though.

Personally I would just skip MSR and get something from Optimus or Primus these days.
Post edited at 22:05
HB47 10 Sep 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Thanks, which Optimus or Primus ones do you rate ?
 Nigel Thomson 10 Sep 2015
In reply to HB47:
I have both the Whisperlite and the Dragonfly. Both are fantastic tools and do exactly what they're meant to do. The Dragonfly is perhaps the more stable of the two though not really an issue for either. The Dragonfly is more controllable with regards to a simmer as there are two valves with which you can adjust flame height. The stoves are field maintainable and both can be protected from wind with the supplied foil shield which helps reduce boiling times etc. The only complaint I would make about the Dragonfly is the noise. It is very loud for a single burner but can be muffled with a handy device known as the Dragontamer. A bit expensive though.
All this said, there may be better stoves on the market which I haven't used so keep your options open.
Post edited at 22:19
 d_b 10 Sep 2015
In reply to HB47:

A mate of mine has a primus omnifuel that we have used successfully on several trips. It has never caused trouble but after my highly negative experiences when I owned a dragonfly I am a bit suspicious of anything with a simmer valve.

I used an optimus nova on one trip, and it seemed OK but I confess that I have turned way from multifuel stoves over the last few years and started using an old fashioned petrol only svea 123R - the simpler design offsets the multifuel advantage in many cases.

I loaned it to a friend for one of his expeditions, and he seems to share my view. Flame issue he mentioned was fixed with a replacement valve pip costing next to nothing.

https://britishmuzkol2013.wordpress.com/2013/10/05/25kg-packs-in-45c-heat-i...
HB47 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Nigel Thomson:

Thanks, clearly the world has moved on since I bought my MSR, when it was the only option - it was the only one available then - so open to looking at better alternatives now
 d_b 10 Sep 2015
In reply to HB47:

The whisperlite is actually a pretty decent stove. The XGK too if all you want is a hot flame. The Dragonfly is just awful if you try and run it on anything dirtier than white gas though.
HB47 10 Sep 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Any thoughts on the optimus or primes ranges
 d_b 10 Sep 2015
In reply to HB47:
I answered that. I have used the primus omnifuel, which seemed reasonable. Optimus nova was quite good but I'm not sure they still make it. These days I mostly use an old fashioned optimus svea and just burn petrol on the grounds that it is simple and indestructible.
Post edited at 22:33
 HeMa 11 Sep 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

> I answered that. I have used the primus omnifuel, which seemed reasonable. Optimus nova was quite good but I'm not sure they still make it.

Nova is still available, but there are better versions also.
http://www.optimusstoves.com/en/optimus-products/products/katadynshopconnec...

For Primus, I'd get the new Omnifuel (III) and the silencer to it.

Or might be tempted by the Optimus Polaris Optifuel.
 tjin 11 Sep 2015
In reply to HB47:

I have both the optimus nova and the primus multifuel.

Optimus nova: more silent, no need to change jets, beter adjustable, little smaller/less suitable for really big pot (only if you are with a big group)

Primus Multifuel: Loud, terrible adjustment (get the omnifuel if you want adjustment), works in gascanisters too.

I find both of them to feel more sturdy than the MSR range, both the stove it self and the fuel pump (alluminium).
 StuDoig 11 Sep 2015
In reply to HB47:

I'll add my 2p worth on other brands.

I've used to have a Optimus Nova, and now own a primus Omni-fuel.

Of the two I far prefer the Omni-fuel, build quality is far better (I had to send my nova pump back twice due to it falling apart), and the fact that you can use it with gas canisters as well as liquid fuel is great IMO. I've found the omnifuel to be very efficient (esp coupled with a ETO Power pot), but there isn't as much adjustment on it as with some stoves. Though I more find this in the upper range than the lower (i.e. you only get adjustment up to so 3/4 of the number of turns, then no change). Between the two valves I find I can simmer very easily.

Plus the omnifuel (and the nova) have metal pump units rather than plastic - broken pumps seem worryingly common with some MSRs!

Cheers!

Stuart
 Damo 11 Sep 2015
In reply to HB47:

I've used MSR XGK on many expeditions for years but personally prefer my Primus Multifuel - more sturdy supports, metal pump, less maintenance. It also takes gas canisters, which are so much more convenient than liquid fuel. I had a Dragonfly years ago but hated it, partly because it clogged up so badly on (admittedly less than ideal) Chinese kerosene.
 ScraggyGoat 11 Sep 2015
In reply to HB47:
Another vote for the primus omnifuel, ran MSR XGK for decades, but primus is better engineered particularly the pump, and more controllable. However I have only used clean fuel in it.

Only reason for an MSR whisper lite would be if you're travelling overseas, and MSR spares would be easier to get in the event of problems.

Also note opinions differ as to whether you can mate a MSR fuel bottle to a primus pump.
Post edited at 10:41
 d_b 11 Sep 2015
In reply to HB47:

A stove I have been wondering about is the edelrid hexon. It looks like a promising budget option and gets good reviews but I don't know anyone who has one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...