UKC

100L+ sacks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mlt 11 Sep 2015
Hi

I'm wondering if people can suggest a good 100L+ rucksack (simple/minimalist design)?

Thanks!

Morgan Woods 11 Sep 2015
In reply to mlt:

The simple minimalist approach would be to carry less stuff, or get a Macpac Cerro Torre.
 Doad13 11 Sep 2015
In reply to mlt:

Travel lighter? I have a Berghaus expedition light, its an 80L with a removable lid and to be honest I struggle to fill it on most trips
OP mlt 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Doad13:

Thanks for the suggestions. My 80L has worked fine up until recent for long trips, reason for more volume now is for carrying filming equipment...

herbe_rouge 11 Sep 2015
In reply to mlt:

Tasmanian Tiger Range Pack - 120L with detachable sidepods, tough as old boots and the most comfortable pack I've ever used. Actually gets more comfortable as it gets heavier!
 Kassius 11 Sep 2015
In reply to mlt:

Berghaus Vulcan. I sold my house and live in mine it's so big. Got a wood burner and everything in there.
cb294 11 Sep 2015
In reply to mlt:

Fjällräven Kaika 100. I have the 90 l version, which is huge already, the 100l is a bit higher still. I absolutely love the carrying system, but some people I know hate it with a vengeance, as the shoulder part either fits or kills you.

Otherwise, Bergans makes a 130l pack that is ultra convenient (at least for my size and build).

Generally, most Scandinavian brands tend to have a good selection of gear for long trekking trips with heavy loads.

CB

london_huddy 11 Sep 2015
In reply to mlt:

I got one of these in grey for big trips with camera kit (camping plus the 600mm lens, couple of bodies, tripod etc)
http://leaf.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&model=Khyber-80-Pack

Keep an eye on US stores like Tactical Distributors who do a 20% off a couple of times a year.

I did a 45kg carry with mine in Greenland earlier this year and was amazed that the bag remained pretty comfortable. It was bloody hard to ski with that much weight through...
 top cat 11 Sep 2015
In reply to mlt:

Mountain Hardwear BMG is 105l. However, check that the hip belt length suits you: I found the padded hip section too short.
 ben b 12 Sep 2015
In reply to mlt: I have a big Arcteryx Altra pack but I wouldn't call it minimalist as such. It is very comfortable, but not a "tube with a harness and a lid" if that's what you are after. Try the big POD X-Pod if you want simple, but it won't be as comfy a ride as a big backpacking sack (which will weigh about a kilo more).

I bought it to replace a dearly loved 20+ yr old POD Expedition (ditto the 45kg carry at about 5500m), because now I am fat and have children so I want comfy slippers not alpine...

I also tried a Gregory Baltoro, a huge Osprey Zenith and a cavernous Macpac - I'm happy with the Altra but it does indeed squeak so I'm going to grease it up before the next outing.

Scandinavians, Kiwis and Canadians all worth looking at as well as the Yanks - some big trips to be done out there. I always quite fancied the Mystery Ranch stuff (I bought my wife a Dana Designs Bomb Pack many years ago and it is still insanely comfy, if heavy) but nowhere to try it on that I could find. Also better suited to carrying sniper rifles etc. Should you be in NZ try the Cactus Foray as well.

Good luck with your insane loads

Cheers

b
 london_huddy 12 Sep 2015
In reply to ben b:

I've heard very good things about the mystery ranch bags which are very widely used by US military sneaky types.
Depends whether you're carry big and heavy or just bulky and whether you need a big more bag to take, spread and stabilise the load.
 ben b 12 Sep 2015
In reply to london_huddy:

Aye. When Dana Designs was bought out he shifted to MR, I believe. For dense loads Rach's BombPack at about 50l is amazing - incrediby comfortable, but there's only so much uranium you can carry round in a 'small' pack: sized up to 100l makes sense! The Dana Designs Terraplane had a great reputation for big heavy loads, and it looks to be pretty much unchanged.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/terraplane

b

alasdair19 14 Sep 2015
In reply to mlt:

I had. a mountain equipment coop own brand 100l bag which was pretty good and very much cheaper than alternatives you'll probably want to get some trekking poles to go with it!
 HardenClimber 14 Sep 2015
In reply to mlt:

Aiguille Alpine (near Kendal) do a 90+20 sac, which they'll customise for you. I have a smaller large simple sac by them, which is excellent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...