UKC

Bunk house - where is one needed?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DS83 17 Oct 2015
Hi all - got a friend thinking of trying to set up a bunk house but not wedded to any particular location. Where in the UK do you think there is the need for a quality bunk house (or where is there not a quality bunk house where one is needed). Cheers
In reply to Dan_summers:

West Penwith
 JayPee630 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Dan_summers:

Just this side of the Channel Tunnel.
 Andrew Wilson 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Dan_summers:

Gogarth?

Bernard Shakey 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Dan_summers:

LLangollen ?
 john spence 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Dan_summers:
Portland.
Post edited at 19:30
 Oceanrower 17 Oct 2015
In reply to john spence:

Seconded!
 spenser 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Oceanrower:

There is one on Portland already although it's £17 pppn which may be a bit steep for some climbers.
Is there one in Northumberland?
 Babika 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Dan_summers:

Cheddar
 jonathandavey 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Dan_summers:

Torridon! Only the youth hostel or a very cramped one in Kinlochewe. There must be a market for climbers and backpackers too stingy for the yha. All year round market too if it's warm enough indoors.
 Ramblin dave 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

> West Penwith

Good call.
 Oceanrower 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Babika:

The Cheddar area is well supplied with bunkhouses. There are many, many caving huts charging about a fiver a night and almost all are open to non members.
 ablackett 18 Oct 2015
In reply to spenser:

There is one in Northumberland up the valley from Alwinton (barrowburn), but it is often booked out for exclusive use. There is also one in Rothbury.

Torridon is a good shout.

gribble 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

Probably true. There's a bunk house type place in Zennor, but I think that's mainly surfy types. There are worse places to live than West Penwith!
 planetmarshall 18 Oct 2015
In reply to jonathandavey:

> Torridon! Only the youth hostel or a very cramped one in Kinlochewe. There must be a market for climbers and backpackers too stingy for the yha.

Perhaps the Kinloichewe bunkhouse is cramped because it's full of climbers and backpackers too stingy for the YHA.
 Ramblin dave 18 Oct 2015
In reply to gribble:

> Probably true. There's a bunk house type place in Zennor, but I think that's mainly surfy types. There are worse places to live than West Penwith!

We've repeatedly failed to find better accommodation for our club Easter trip than some static caravans at the site in Sennen. This is a pretty low bar, and definitely suggests that there's a gap in the market!
 gethin_allen 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Dan_summers:

How about the Gower, there's one I can think of and a yha but otherwise the campsites are extortionate.
 Tom Last 18 Oct 2015
In reply to DS83:

Torridon! There's pretty much nowt between Stromferry and Torridon itself where there's a SYHA.

Shieldaig would be good.
In reply to DS83:

The Peak District?
I live 10 mins from great gritstone crags, but many people travel several hours at a weekend to climb here.
Generally surprised at the level of bunkhouse provision bearing in mind the number of climbers.
Perhaps there's a 'price point', i.e. where capital costs to buy and furbish won't allow you to provide at £X.
Could this be another thread- 'How much would you pay for a night in a bunkhouse, and what do expect at this price ?'.
 jim jones 18 Oct 2015
In reply to DS83:

Bosherton.
 Ramblin dave 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Ade in Sheffield:

We've never really found accommodation to be a problem in the Peak - there's quite a few bunkhouses, a load of club huts, campsites etc. You can normally get a roof over your head at shortish notice except maybe in high season at which point you might as well camp anyway.
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Which bunkhouses do you use?
Jim C 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

> Torridon! There's pretty much nowt between Stromferry and Torridon itself where there's a SYHA.

> Shieldaig would be good.

I was up Torridon recently, Gerry's ( £17.50) was busy almost full, ( mountain bikers) it has 'character' but Gerry's son has a huge number of improvements to make, but It will never be luxurious, if that is what he is providing, or what people want, but as you say , not a lot of choice.
Ledgowan Lodge Bunkhouse was also full( but soulless) Ledgowan Lodge are not investing in improving (much ) their wee bunkhouse, and why should they I prefer to eat in the hotel bar, ( and do do they) and they allow me to sit and relax in their luxurious reception in front of their nice open fire, and I just sleep in the basic bunkhouse at the end of the night.

Just back from Inchnadamph lodge, for 20 quid, that was great, free self service breakfast too. coffee sitting ready for you toast , choice if cereals , and fruit juices , etc.
They also do your breakfast dishes to let you get off quick in the mornings. Super cosy, wall heating, a nice log burner in the sitting room, with a wee shop in the reception, and a public phone, and Internet room ( Apple Mac) and the showers give you a massage they are so powerful, but yet still hot.
I can not fault that place for that price.

If he used that as his model at that price, he will do well, and I would use a bunkhouse like that in any area.

Ramon Marin 19 Oct 2015
In reply to DS83:

Llangollen
Llandudno
Skye
Holyhead
 Ramblin dave 19 Oct 2015
In reply to Ade in Sheffield:
We've used the Roaches Bunkhouse at Upper Hulme, the Royal Oak at Hurdlow and Thorpe Farm at Hathersage in the past. Then there's loads of climbing and caving huts around the place.

I wouldn't claim to be an expert on the matter, but despite living quite a long way from the Peak and climbing there quite a lot, I've never found myself thinking "darn, if only someone would open another bunkhouse around here." Unlike, say, West Penwith.
Post edited at 13:50

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...