UKC

Garmin Connect question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rampikino 24 Oct 2015
Morning all, I could do with a definitive explanation to my Garmin Connect timing data.

I have:

Time: 00:20:03
Moving Time: 00:19:52
Elapsed Time: 00:20:07

The time presented to me and logged as my run time appears to be 00:20:03.01 but I can't figure out the other two elements. I didn't stop (it was ParkRun).

So I don't really get it. Could anyone enlighten me?

In reply to Rampikino:
Don't know which device your using, but in general terms is the difference between the time and moving time not caused by the delay in the device's GPS picking up that you have actually moved? Mine all seem to be with garmin devices used over many years. Much more noticeable if you start the recording at a standstill and stop at a standstill rather than start and stop the recording whilst moving. Also on steeper terrain sometimes the GPS thinks you have stopped so stops the moving time element of the recording.
 Ridge 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

You just want to brag you're faster than me

Do you have autopause on the Garmin?
"Time" is the time between you starting and stopping the timer. There's probably a lag between you pressing the start button and the watch GPS detecting you are moving, hence the 'quicker' moving time. If the autopause is on it can sometimes knock the 'moving time' off if you go over a stile or hit a very steep uphill.

Elapsed time has me baffled a bit. Garmin says it's the time between starting, stopping and resetting the timer, (whatever that means). Presumably the elapsed time keeps ticking over until you save the run? Probably it allows you to stop the watch on say a long run, have a break and then re start but still get the total time? (Or stops people getting a fast Segment time by sprinting, stopping the timer and having a breather, then starting the timer for another sprint then stopping for another breather?)
 Ridge 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Beat me to it!
In reply to Ridge:

> Beat me to it!
Sorry .

I'm with you in the elapsed time explanation - or that is what I believed. Can't fool it by having a sly stop as it ticks on and on - one old device then told you how long you have actually been stopped for!
OP Rampikino 24 Oct 2015
In reply to All:

Thanks for the replies - here's another dimension to throw into the mix.

My official ParkRun time today was 20:07 which matches the elapsed time. However it doesn't sit right with my own timing. I know it's possible to have small amounts of variation but 4 seconds is huge and way outside of my normal variance.

So it seems my Garmin elapsed time and the ParkRun agree but where did I lose 4 seconds?
 Indy 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

> where did I lose 4 seconds?

No idea but your going to lose an hour tonight so 4 seconds.... what the hell
OP Rampikino 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Indy:

> No idea but your going to lose an hour tonight so 4 seconds.... what the hell

Very good

In all seriousness, my main concern is that I have something set up wrong or that I'm doing something wrong or there's an accuracy issue. I. Trying to shave seconds off and get back under 20:00 and every second counts!
 Indy 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

What is your recording interval set at? I've seen what you speak of when set to 'smart recording' best bet is 1 sec recording if its offered on your device.
 Chris the Tall 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

You're concerned about a 4 second discrepancy between a Garmin and a ParkRun time ? In that case you are taking both too seriously! Normally there is anything upto 30 seconds for me, but then I start my watch when I start to run, which generally is a few seconds later than the official start due to the number of runners. And then there are the times when the garmin goes completely nutso and thinks I've run across water.

These things aren't perfect, accept it and move on
In reply to Rampikino:

Then again, I did a bike ride this morning, and as with you the elapsed time, moving time, and time are all different. But when it gets uploaded to Strava, we have yet another different time !
OP Rampikino 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

No they are not perfect and I have to take it on the chin and it's not going to change.

However, it's up to me if I want to care or not, and as a lifelong analyst and data person I know that there is a big difference between being 1 second out from the official timekeeper and 4 seconds. I know the timekeeper today and she was as baffled as me. It looks as though it's something in the Garmin which appears to have happened once before. Perhaps the wacky weather had something to do with it.

I would like to know the reason - my choice. I take all my running seriously which again is up to me thank you very much, it's not up to you to decide how seriously I should take something. ParkRun is fun and inclusive but when I run it I take it seriously for myself then I go round and encourage some back markers, and I volunteer too.

When I run a chip timed race I am almost never more than 1 second different to the official timekeeper, last weekend I was right on the nose and most times it matches exactly.

4 seconds is a lot and if it's a gps glitch or my fault then I'd like to know.
OP Rampikino 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Indy:

> What is your recording interval set at? I've seen what you speak of when set to 'smart recording' best bet is 1 sec recording if its offered on your device.

Hi, not sure how I find this out...?
In reply to Rampikino:

Sorry, I was being a bit flippant ! I've come to the conclusion that Garmins are 90% brilliant and 10% so utterly annoying that you want to throw them out of the window. And I think that it's because they are so good in so many ways that we get so frustrated with the damn things when they aren't quite right. I had a ride this week when I lost half my data, and you find yourself feeling really deflated simply cos you can't see the data that a few years ago you wouldn't have imagined you could see.

I would suggest looking at Garmin's on-line help, but that's being even more flippant!

And, as you can see from my other response, I'm also a little curious myself - I hate inconsistent data.
 Indy 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

> not sure how I find this out...?

What device are you using?
OP Rampikino 24 Oct 2015

It's ok - sorry for being snappy.

I have a vivioactive and it has changed my attitude to pace and also how I use the data. I'm probably closer to 99% delighted and 1% annoyed!
OP Rampikino 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Indy:

It's a Vivioactive
 Mike-W-99 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Rampikino:
FWIW , I was 4seconds out between by watch and what parkrun gave me too today.

However I don't take it seriously
Post edited at 22:40
OP Rampikino 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Love it
 Hamster 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

My 500 carries on recording after the stop button is pressed and stops properly on being turned off, this is the elapsed time.
Moving time with no stops probably means you lost GPS contact or weren't moving fast enough to record.
When I tried running with the 500 it turned off for the early weeks of couch25K as I wasn't going fast enough.
 nniff 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

Confucius, he say' "Man with two watches never know correct time".

You've got too many variables - the starter saying start, the timer-volunteer starting his device, any delay before you cross the start line, the timer at the end pressing the button when you come through the funnel in a bundle of bodies, you pressing start and stop on your Garmin, the correlation or lack thereof between the start and stops, any vagaries in the course that makes the Garmin think you've stopped (loss of signal, U turns etc). The only 'official' number is the Parkrun one. Alternatively, use the 'time' figure but press it diligently at the same spot each time - that way at least you know the timing rules are consistent.
 Chris the Tall 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Rampikino:
Ok, just had a look through some of my recent runs, and I only get a discrepancy between time and elapsed time when I hit the stop/pause button. I have a Forerunner and the min speed function is disabled. Garmin connect shows a lower moving time value, which I assume is based on the second-by-second data, analysed to look for when it thinks I've stopped.

Now on the bike, using an Edge 810, I do have a min speed set, but what you notice is that it often thinks you are stopped when in fact you are just going slowly under trees (you see Auto pause and auto resume flash up).

So I think that 'elapsed time' is controlled by start/finish button, 'time' is when the device thinks it's moving, and 'moving time' when Garmin Connect processes your data and thinks you are moving.

Another thing I've noticed is that distance totals don't depend upon you having the full GPS data - for example if it's been slow to pick up a signal, and shows you starting half way round, or when the Edge crashes on you (grrr!). So again it may be some part of the processing by Garmin connect.
 wilkesley 25 Oct 2015

One way to see what's happening is to use something like GPS Prune. Download your gps track and you can examine the track points at the start and finish, which will give you the time. You can then do your own maths to see the correct time for the run.

I don't run, but use the Garmin on the bike. I often stop at a cafe half way round and "Moving time" is the length of time the Garmin thinks I have actually been cycling. Presumably Garmin looks at adjacent track points and if you have been doing < x kmh it assumes you are stationary and applies an algorithm to subtract the time from the total elapsed time. However, if you go indoors (cafe) the unit often loses signal and track points can jump around randomly until you come back outside and it regains a signal. I presume that Garmin also tries to filter out such data when doing calculations.
 DancingOnRock 25 Oct 2015
In reply to wilkesley:

You can upload the TCX file from Garmin Connect and open it using windows Write.

The data is fairly simple to read and won't be too big for a 20minute file.
 Ridge 25 Oct 2015
In reply to nniff:

Good post. As you say, great as I think they are, there are so many things that can affect parkrun times.
 Ridge 25 Oct 2015

> So I think that 'elapsed time' is controlled by start/finish button, 'time' is when the device thinks it's moving, and 'moving time' when Garmin Connect processes your data and thinks you are moving.

I don't think that's right Chris. I've a few running niggles at the moment, so I'm doing very steady 5 milers with frequent stops to stretch out and do a bit of massage. Following the original post I went out yesterday, but stopped the timer every time I had a stretching session, then started it again. 'Time' matched the timer on the watch, i.e. the sum of all the times between start and stop, 'elapsed time' was about eight minutes longer, therefore the watch was still recording elapsed time when it was stopped, presumably until the run was saved.

I'm off for a walk this morning, so if you see a bloke with two watches wandering round Ennerdale and scratching his head it'll be me trying to come up with the definitive answer...

DancingOnRock 25 Oct 2015
Starva gives me 5:10 for yesterday's Beachy Head marathon. No idea how. Although there were quite a few cake stops. My Gun time and Chip time and watch time were slightly under 5:30.

They're all trying to be too clever.

Chris the Tall 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Ridge:

That is what I'd expect, but you're doing a manual pause. With the OP, I think he's somehow getting an automatic pause
 Ridge 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Rampikino:
> Morning all, I could do with a definitive explanation to my Garmin Connect timing data.

> I have:

> Time: 00:20:03

> Moving Time: 00:19:52

> Elapsed Time: 00:20:07

Based on my experiments today:

You press the start button on your Garmin. Both 'time' and 'elapsed time' begin, and are currently in sync.

You start from a standing start therefore there is a lag as the Garmin detects that your position has moved from where you were when you started the clock. Once the Garmin decides you are in fact moving it starts your 'moving time'. Depending on the sampling time and settings on your watch this will be at least a second, if not three or four, after starting the run. Hence your moving time is a few seconds behind 'time' and 'elapsed time' from the start. If at any point on the run you slow below any threshold set on the watch, or loop round a cone so your position appears stationary your 'moving time' will stop, and there will again be a delay before it restarts. Moving time is now lagging even further behind.

You cross the line and hit the button on your watch. 'Time' stops, 'moving time' stops and things like average speed and average pace freeze. However 'elapsed time' is still running in the background, as you still have the option to resume the session. Only when you save the run does the elapsed time stop. So:

Time: 00:20:03 = Time between you starting and stopping the watch. If you do it right this is your actual time for the distance.

Moving Time: 00:19:52 = Time the watch thinks you were moving, therefore a delay at start and maybe at the turn for an out and back course, plus any abrupt slowing at the start as you dodge round young kids and overly competive but unfit blokes who sprint flat out for the first 50 yards then collapse... 11 seconds does seem a lot though.

Elapsed Time: 00:20:07 = This suggests a 4 second delay between you stopping the watch at the finish and saving the run. Seem about right?
Post edited at 15:54
OP Rampikino 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Ridge:

Really interesting and makes sense except that my stats seem to show me that the time was lost at the very start.

Seems odd that I had pressed the button but it didn't register for 4 seconds.

Howeve, the 20:03 vs 19:52 is bizarre - this was a 3 lap ParkRun where I came in 7th finisher so I wasn't hanging around and certainly didn't stop, so where it lost 11 seconds...?

I have turned off the auto pause because I don't tend to have unnatural stops so will see what comes of that. I ran Wythenshawe (Great Run Local - a bit like ParkRun) this morning and my time matched theirs. I've not seen the time/elapsed/moving yet as the darned thing is temperamental with synchronising!
OP Rampikino 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

Got my upload so my run today...

Time: 19:52
Moving Time: 19:38
Elapsed Time: 19:52

So I have a match and it matched the timekeeper.

But again - 14 seconds on a 5k run where I wasn't hanging around!
 Chris the Tall 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

> But again - 14 seconds on a 5k run where I wasn't hanging around!

But when you upload your breadcrumb trail to garmin connect, it has detected some gaps - probably when you were under trees, although I'm sure there are other causes - and has decided you weren't moving. The other two times are raw data from the watch, this is calculated, and probably best ignored as unreliable
OP Rampikino 26 Oct 2015

Yes - I guess this kind of makes sense - I guess it's one of the reasons I pretty much ignore "moving time" as it doesn't seem to fit with anything remotely like the truth.

Now they have updated the Garmin Connect App and boy have they gone black and primary colour - weird. But as with some other apps before them they seem to have decided that they know what we want. So previously I could log my runs in miles and my weight in KG (my choice, it's how I like it), now they have decided that I either get statute or metric and no other choice. Not only that, but I'm only allowed to enter whole KG for weight.
 Joyce 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

Morning Camper,

Good question, it took me a wee while to sort this one out. If you're running using a watch, ignore the 'moving time' and just use the 'time'elapsed time' (when you pressed start/stop) to work out how long you ran for. The moving time feature only, as mentioned above, takes into account time spent moving at or above a certain speed. So, sharp turns, even 90' turns (not just hairpins), gates and slowing down at road crossings for cars will make it think that you've stopped, as will the slowing down to avoid kids and dog leads. This feature isn't really needed on a watch because when you do stop for a rest or summink, you can press the button on the watch to stop the timer. However, if you're using a phone app e.g. Strava and your phone is in a pocket or rucksack then it saves you having to rush to dig around and find it so you can stop it when you actually stop running - I found this feature much more useful when mountain biking and using Strava on my phone (which was buried in a Camelbak pocket) as it showed the time we were actually moving and not standing about chatting/ propping up gate posts etc. So, ignore the 'moving time' unless recording on a phone app that's in your bag.

Your elapsed time should be much closer to the 'start/stop' time, if not the same. However, there may be some slight discrepancies as there's a lag/slight lack of accuracy in the GPS's actual positioning. When Parkrunning, I find that my 'start/stop' time is usually 1 second faster than the offcial Parkrun time (for the reasons/variables described above) but more importantly that the 5K distance can come in at anywhere between 4.9km and 5.1km for a course that someone has pottered around with a trundle wheel and then times you with a stop watch on. Basically, there's slight time and spacial error in the GPS function (about 10m or so, I reckon) so it's really just a guide. This also helps explain why, when you run with a mate at the same pace, on the same segment, they might have a faster or slower segment time than you - some devices are more accurate than others too. And then there's tree cover, tall buildings and the like that help confuse the GPS signal too.

Overall, take the GPS timings with a bit of a pinch of salt and, if you really want to know how quick you are over a set distance, do a Parkrun or official race as you can't argue with a dude with trundle wheel and a stopwatch! I always use my Parkrun 5K times when thinking about PBs and performance and don't worry about what my GPS data has told me as it's not super accurate.

Hope this helps.

Love from,
Joyce,
XXXX

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...