UKC

huddersfield indoor climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mollythedog 27 Oct 2015
Hi,
I don't know if this has already been asked, but I just wondered which was the best climbing wall in huddersfield, as it seems to have 2. We were thinking of a wet day out this Saturday.
Cheers,
Sue.
 Droyd 27 Oct 2015
In reply to Mollythedog:

I've not been to the new one at the sports centre (owned by the Climbing Centre group) but hear that you have to have a sports centre membership to get in, which to me is a bad sign. Rokt in Brighouse is a decent option but I've generally been put off by the number of kids running around there, although they do have a good lead wall. Depending on how near you are to the M1, Sheffield or Leeds walls are generally far better bets - for me, living to the SE of Huddersfield, City Bloc, The Leeds Wall, Awesome Walls Sheffield, and The Foundry are all 40 minutes away. You might also consider Awesome Walls Stockport if you're more to the east of town.
Mollythedog 27 Oct 2015
In reply to Mollythedog:

Sounds like the answer is neither then!
 pog100 27 Oct 2015
In reply to Mollythedog:

it is no harder to get into the Huddersfield wall than any other. If you have a Manchester or Harrogate membership it is straightforward, if not I don't think it is much of a hassle. The new wall is a great little wall, a great improvement on the old one and well worth a visit. Rokt is OK, in my opinion Huddersfield is better but opinions are just that! There is only one wall in Huddersfield itself.
 veteye 27 Oct 2015
In reply to Mollythedog:

It's more fun, invigorating and cheaper to go to "cliff"(Holmfirth Edge) and Pule Hill.
 grubes 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Mollythedog:

Depends what you want.
Rokt is in brighouse (don't tell the locals its in hudds or you might be burnt at the stake) it has more boldering and more varied angles. The silos are a novelty for top roping and the lead wall is great for training of long routes (21m overhang). Lots of kids groups all day every day so it seems

Huddersfield is better for routes more angles more space, plenty of top ropes good mix of grades from 3/4 to 8a. only problem is the lack of height. I think its 12m and the staff assure me its as high as leeds wall just with out the overhang. The bouldering is well set just limited due to the space. You do not have to sign up to Kirklees active leisure (KAL) to get into the climbing wall but you get a discount if you do. If its a one off visit its probably not worth. You may get the discounted rate if you are a memeber at HCC MCC or RCC but I am not so I don't know.

If its a hit and miss day
Cliff dries out fast and gets the sun from around 1pm. Bouldering some very nice stuff and a good free guide here http://www.kirkleesclimbing.co.uk/
Routes pule hill again gets afternoon and evening sun can be very midgy and very cold in the wind. the crag is in over the moors.
 Bulls Crack 28 Oct 2015
In reply to pog100:

The new wall is a great little wall, a great improvement on the old one

in some ways.
 Bulls Crack 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Mollythedog:

Two walls? There's the sports centre but where's the other one?
 pog100 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Bulls Crack:

As Grubes said, I suspect they mean Rokt, which as any fule no, is not in Huddersfield. What did you prefer about the old wall? The featured walls were quite good but getting rather polished, and the opportunities to lead were very limited.
 Bulls Crack 02 Nov 2015
In reply to pog100:

A proper circuit wall, which cinsidering how old it was, was remakably unpolished and the best top-roping anywhere! Most wall it seems do not really have good circuit walls ie with more up and down than sideways

Leading was admittedly no good and the bouldering got increasingly run-down

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...