UKC

Winter climbing guided day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 noteviljoe 31 Oct 2015

Last year I bought some winter boots, crampons and an ice axe and had some fun on easy winter ridges. (Striding Edge, Swirral Edge & Daear Ddu Ridge all grade one - Swirral edge the only one that involved any 'climbing')

This year I'd love to have a go at something harder but (having young kids and depressingly busy work life) don't think I'll be able to gain the skills to safely go out with my (equally inexperienced) regular partner.

Any hows, I was think of trying to sway wife/friends/family etc. to give my xmas/birthday contributions towards a guided day - hopefully doing something fun and a bit harder than I could myself.

So 4 questions:

Location: Don't think I'll blag enough away time to get away to Scotland so maybe Lakes or Wales - but then I guess the weather will be fickle? Best location?

Month: Best to wait till Late Jan / Feb?

Expectations: What kind of kind of experience might I enjoy best? What would it be reasonable to expect to be lead on a one day thing. How much should I expect to pay.

Recommendations: Re. guide. I have done a bit of random google search but personal recommendations would be welcome.
Post edited at 15:54
 jezb1 31 Oct 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

You have to get very lucky or be able to go at very short notice to get decent conditions in the Lakes / Wales.

Scotland really is worth the extra drive.

If you're on FB... www.facebook.com/Swiftextreme Top guy and suitably qualified.
 Rich W Parker 31 Oct 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

Personally I'd go for Scotland in early Feb. If you can be flexible with your timing then the Lakes or North Wales could work for you.

Try doing something you haven't done before, like an icy gully? Winter climbing is so diverse! Varied practise is as beneficial and fun as bumping up the grades. If you've previously been on ridgy terrain using one axe then a progression to two tools would be good development.

Price wise you're looking at the best part of £200 per day, but teaming up with a willing and suitable friend will break that cost right down for you.

Anyone with membership of AMI or BMG will be good to go out with. Feel free to contact me directly, I'm an experienced MIC.

Have fun!

TobyA 31 Oct 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

Joe, having had a quick look at your profile and blog posts, I see you are a philosopher! I'm trying my best to teach A level Philosophy and Ethics at the mo' based mainly on my poorly remembered undergraduate philosophy studies from the early 90s! So if you could face answering all my inane philosophy questions while on the walk-in, I'd be happy to climb with you, and lead you up something a bit harder than it sounds like you've done so far. I'm not a guide or a super-hard pro, but I've been UK winter climbing and ice climbing in the Nordics for over 20 years and I think I'm pretty sensible and safe within my limits. I was doing my teacher training last winter, and am now in my first year of teaching, and, along with my family, this means I don't have huge amounts of spare time, but last winter I had a number of good one-day trips to the Lakes (for instance: http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/pinnacle-ridge-st-sunday-cr... ). Wales is also just as possible for day-hits for me (Sheffield), just somehow last winter the Lakes seemed a better bet on my free Saturdays. So if you think you might be interested just send me an email. I can lend a pair technical tools as well, if you have just a mountaineering axe. I think really with some luck a day of conditions is possible from December through to March - you just need to keep your fingers crossed and be prepared to go at short-ish notice if things are looking promising.
OP noteviljoe 01 Nov 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Yes I'm currently teaching Ethics and Epistemology at Nottingham University (on temp contract) but also thinking about shifting to secondary or primary school teaching so I'm sure you could give me some advice to.

Have emailed.

Here's hoping we get a nordic-ish winter this year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...