UKC

Running on Kinder Scout with dogs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimR 03 Nov 2015
I've got two springer spaniels that run with me, but one chases sheep if any are around, so I've got to keep them on the lead when there's any about.

I'm thinking of going for a run over Kinder Scout this weekend, anyone know if there's sheep about or if it'll be OK to let them off the lead?
 Run_Ross_Run 03 Nov 2015
In reply to JimR:
Prob best keeping dogs on a lead when out in public. Less worry for you thinking what may happen if they're not.

You wouldnt want them disrupting other people surely?
Post edited at 15:10
ceri 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

There aren't so many people on Kinder scout that the dogs are likely to be "disrupting" them as they pass surely? I tend to find in the Peak that even when you don't expect sheep, one will suddenly pop up out of a ditch
 Simon Caldwell 03 Nov 2015
In reply to JimR:

There shouldn't be any sheep up there, there's a fence to keep them out while the vegetation is restored. I suppose it depends how keen your dog is on chasing them - if it spots (or smells) one a few hundred metres below you on the other side of a fence is it likely to set off in pursuit?
OP JimR 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

He should stay within 20 metres of me when I'm running unless there's an obvious distraction. To the poster who is worried about my dogs bothering people .. they don't! Jack is very shy of people and the only problem with Hattie is she might lick them to death .. but she does as she's told and stays very close to my heel. The only issue is sheep which Jack thinks are big playmates.
 toad 03 Nov 2015
In reply to JimR:

It's a tricky time of the year for wildlife. I was on one of the Norfolk beaches recently when a woodcock dropped out of the sky and onto the beach just in front of me and my dog- totally exhausted and immobile. As it is the dog completely missed it, but it illustrates an important point. Lots of wildlife in Autumn are on the move or feeding up for winter - A dog on a 2m lead will effectively create a 4m path of disturbance - wildlife will stop feeding/ resting up and get the hell out of the way - chances are you won't even see it happening. Multiply that out to 40m and that's a big path of disturbance, and every calorie is vital.

So there shouldn't be any sheep on Kinder plateau at the moment (though they are on some surrounding hillsides), and there aren't any nesting birds, but our dogs still have a noticeable impact on wildlife, especially if they are free roaming. That isn't an issue around recall/ obedience or chasing, it's simply to do with being a big obvious predator.
 neilh 03 Nov 2015
In reply to JimR:
Difficult subject. But not everybody likes being licked by dogs. I get fed up with it esprciLly when it brings back Memories of being attacked by a dog .

Please keep them on a lead and try and think of people who are uncomfortable around them.
 Dave the Rave 03 Nov 2015
In reply to JimR:
> I've got two springer spaniels that run with me, but one chases sheep if any are around, so I've got to keep them on the lead when there's any about.

> I'm thinking of going for a run over Kinder Scout this weekend, anyone know if there's sheep about or if it'll be OK to let them off the lead?

Here hare here.
Post edited at 19:26
Removed User 03 Nov 2015
In reply to JimR:

It is an enforceable bylaw in the Peak National Park that dogs should be on a lead. If a dog is seen chacing sheep it is the obligation of the farmer to prevent animal cruelty (to the stock) and deal with it. They would be fully within their rights to shoot the offending dog.
In reply to JimR:

I don't recall ever seeing any sheep on the top (the plateau) of Kinder Scout. It's just too difficult a terrain for them: all those groughs, and very little grass. On the slopes, yup, that's a completely different matter, and probably what you mean.
Clauso 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I've seen sheep, on the plateau, in the past... Recently, there has been a lot of effort put into keeping them away from it and other sensitive areas.
 Ridge 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> It is an enforceable bylaw in the Peak National Park that dogs should be on a lead. If a dog is seen chacing sheep it is the obligation of the farmer to prevent animal cruelty (to the stock) and deal with it. They would be fully within their rights to shoot the offending dog.

Do you have a link for that byelaw, as it sounds unusually restrictive?

The OP appears to be aware of his responsibilities to livestock, which is why he's asking if Kinder is sheep free.
XXXX 04 Nov 2015
In reply to JimR:

In my experience it's the dogs who "have never done that before" and are OK because "they won't bite" and "are just playing" that are the most dangerous. In fact in all the years I've been running I've never been attacked, chased or bitten by any other type.

Removed User 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Ridge:

Not with me but you'll find it posted on the reverse side of many Peak National Park access signage.

It's not just sheep. It applies to moorland birds even those bred to have their brains blown out at the designated time.
 Run_Ross_Run 04 Nov 2015
In reply to JimR:

Case in point this morning when i was out running.

Guy had a dog off the lead coming down from one of the paths that leads from the lake i was running round. Dog stood still as i approached as the owner was shouting at it. As i levelled with the dog it ran towards me and jumped up.

Ok, no issues really as i wasn't bit but the point is that if the dog was on a lead then it wouldn't have jumped at me.

The guys wasn't expecting the dog to jump up so how could he guarantee it wouldn't have bitten me?

Take the risk away and keep them on a lead when out in public. Simple.

MJAngry 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Ridge:

I believe it is an offence of the law to not be in full control of your dog.

Which I'm guessing would be hard to be unless on a lead.
 toad 04 Nov 2015
In reply to MJAngry:

> I believe it is an offence of the law to not be in full control of your dog

But a very very small chance of enforcement unless an actual attack on an individual is involved - I've seen quite a long discussion of this wrt canal towpaths recently.
 Andypeak 04 Nov 2015
In reply to JimR:

I was on Kinder on Sunday and there were lots of sheep.
 Simon Caldwell 04 Nov 2015
In reply to andy.smythe:

> I was on Kinder on Sunday and there were lots of sheep.

You probably ought to report that to the national park authority, as they've gone to a lot of expense building fences to keep them out while the vegetation recovers (which isn't due to be complete for another 10 years or so).
OP JimR 04 Nov 2015
In reply to andy.smythe:

Thanks, that's helpful.
 deacondeacon 04 Nov 2015
In reply to JimR:

This isn't aimed at you particularly but just because a dog isn't biting me doesn't mean that I'm ok with it's behaviour.
Jumping up at me, barking at me, chasing me while I'm running can all be intimidating.
My one year old daughter was knocked over by a dog in The Lakes at the weekend. The dog was off the lead, and the owner announced that the dog had never done anything like that before.
It must have been like being knocked over by a Horse to a full grown adult.
 Marek 04 Nov 2015
In reply to deacondeacon:

> Jumping up at me, barking at me, chasing me while I'm running can all be intimidating.

And when we've eliminated all the things that someone might find intimidating, what are we left with?

mountainbagger 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Marek:

> And when we've eliminated all the things that someone might find intimidating, what are we left with?

A dog on a lead?
XXXX 04 Nov 2015

>The dog was off the lead, and the owner announced that the dog had never done anything like that before.

You surprise me.
In reply to XXXX:

I have some memories of being attacked/jumped up at when a small child which has always made me quite nervous around dogs, but I really like the ones I am familiar with.

I run through a popular dog walking area/bit of parkland almost every morning/evening on way to/from work.

When I first started doing this, I found it difficult and had to fight the urge to go a different way or to slow to a walk. It's a really nice route, so I persisted with it!

Occasionally, a dog will chase me, bark at me or even jump up at me and (once) clawed my legs. However, most of the time they ignore me. I can see how much fun they are having chasing balls and sticks and playing with each other, or just running, like me. Off the lead. I am happy to deal with the occasional incident if it means by and large everyone is getting to have fun.

I can relate to the "oh he's never done anything like that before" comment - I've certainly heard it many times!

However, EVERY incident I've experienced has involved the owner, whilst usually apologetic to me afterwards, only weakly objecting to their dog's intentions before the incident. Quite often it's a puppy or young dog. Not firm enough basically with the "get away" or "leave" commands (or whatever you're supposed to shout).

I find it very reassuring when an owner understands others' nervousness around dogs and immediately commands the dog before he's even moved!

Also, another observation, dogs are amazingly easy to surprise when you run up behind them
 deacondeacon 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Marek:

> And when we've eliminated all the things that someone might find intimidating, what are we left with?

Err, we're left with everything else that isn't an intimidation, which is obviously irrelevant as it's never going to happen.

The point is intimidating behaviour, wether that's by a dog or a person, is anti-social and shouldn't be tolerated.
It's not up to the dogs owner to decide what is acceptable behaviour and what isn't.
 Marek 04 Nov 2015
> The point is intimidating behaviour...

My point - perhaps badly made - was that there a big difference between 'feeling intimidated' and 'intimidating behaviour'. We have all felt intimidated at times, particularly when we find ourselves in situation we are unfamiliar with - outside our comfort zone as some would call it. First day at school, first big alpine route, first day in new job. Part of growing up is learning how to deal with those situations and to differentiate between perceived threats (inside my head) and real threats (outside my head).

I guess my response was not so much to your specific situation, but more to the general social trend of "If I'm uncomfortable with what you're doing then someone should stop you doing it".

Back on topic - no, I wouldn't let a dog off-lead on Kinder unless I was very confident that it would stay at heel. Not because it might be perceived to be 'intimidating' by humans, but because of wildlife disturbance.
Post edited at 18:00
 Ridge 04 Nov 2015
In reply to MJAngry:

> I believe it is an offence of the law to not be in full control of your dog.

> Which I'm guessing would be hard to be unless on a lead.

It's an 'offence of the law' to punch people in the face, however there's no legal requirement to have your hands tied behind your back when walking in public to demonstrate you can't do so. Unfortunately, (or some may argue fortunately), the burden of proof lies on the state to prove you've actually committed an offence, not on you to prove you haven't.

For what it's worth I'm a dog owner, and I've spent a lot of time and effort in training the dog not to chase livestock and birds, not to jump up at people, and to come back when told. If there's a sign requesting he goes on a lead in certain areas or a notice about lambing/nesting birds then I'm happy to comply, likewise going through farmyards etc on a public footpath. Similarly if I'm out walking or running with him and we encounter walkers, kids, bikes etc he goes on the lead, not because he's a hazard, but as can be seen from this thread a lot of people are scared of dogs and it's polite to do so.

Otherwise he's off the lead and where I can see him, and he's at heel through fields with stock in. Not because 'I know my rights, innit', but so I can assess how he's reacting and correct him to reinforce the training. Purely my opinion, but training a dog's a better option than dragging an unruly mutt round on a lead with the possibility of it going mad if it escapes.

Don't get me wrong, out of control dogs really boil my piss, (as do out of control yoofs), and I've booted more than one snarly hound while it's owner stood timidly and ineffectually asking it not to be naughty. However the OP doesn't sound like that, as he's asking if it's advisable to have his dog off lead in a given area.
 Simon Caldwell 04 Nov 2015
In reply to JimR:

I bet you're beginning to wish you hadn't asked...
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Oh I don't know, he might be mildly amused

JimR, have you decided what you're going to do?
OP JimR 04 Nov 2015
In reply to mountainbagger:

Very amused .. and much enlightened! I never realised that Kinder (which was deserted when I went last over it 4 years ago) is now inundated with people terrified of dogs. And that my lovely well trained spaniels who run almost daily with me off the lead around the local park amid myriads of toddlers , prams, pensioners etc etc without a problem will turn into ferocious hounds the moment they set foot in the Peak!

I'll make a judgement call on the day based on what I see.As I say we tend to run together. I'm based in Cambridgeshire so was looking for a heads up on the situation before I make the 260 mile round trip for a 10 mile run with the dogs .. cos its only fair they get a bit of freedom occasionally too.
In reply to JimR:

> I've got two springer spaniels that run with me, but one chases people if any are around, so I've got to keep them on the lead when there's any about.

> I'm thinking of going for a run over Kinder Scout this weekend, anyone know if there's people about or if it'll be OK to let them off the lead?

There. Fixed that for you. Now the rest of the thread makes more sense!
 Simon Caldwell 05 Nov 2015
In reply to JimR:

A bit of background to the fence and sheep exclusion for anyone interested
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/kinder-scout-fencing-project-qa

Jenny C 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:
> Guy had a dog off the lead coming down from one of the paths that leads from the lake i was running round. Dog stood still as i approached as the owner was shouting at it. As i levelled with the dog it ran towards me and jumped up.

I have a phobia of dogs. Some I'm OK with, but others totally terrify me, even when clearly well controlled and on a lead.

The behavior you describe is what I would call a "scary dog".

My reaction would be to look for an escape route (cross a style, stand on a rock, or hide behind a tree, walking partner or random stranger).
Freeze and hope the owner can take hold of the dogs collar before it gets to me (whilst resisting my natural urge to turn tail and run away screaming).
If it got the the point of jumping up, I would be screaming at the top of my voice in abject terror and discovering just how fast I can actually run.

As for the stories of people getting bitten.....
It has taken 30+ years to get to my current state of self restraint when encountering a "scary dog"
One bite and I would be back to where I was as a child, unable to leave the house without Mum to protect me and having to cross the road to avoid "scary dogs" even when they are being walked on a lead.
As for going for a walk on my own...
OP JimR 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Jenny C:

> I have a phobia of dogs. Some I'm OK with, but others totally terrify me, even when clearly well controlled and on a lead.

> The behavior you describe is what I would call a "scary dog".

> My reaction would be to look for an escape route (cross a style, stand on a rock, or hide behind a tree, walking partner or random stranger).

> Freeze and hope the owner can take hold of the dogs collar before it gets to me (whilst resisting my natural urge to turn tail and run away screaming).

> If it got the the point of jumping up, I would be screaming at the top of my voice in abject terror and discovering just how fast I can actually run.

> As for the stories of people getting bitten.....

> It has taken 30+ years to get to my current state of self restraint when encountering a "scary dog"

> One bite and I would be back to where I was as a child, unable to leave the house without Mum to protect me and having to cross the road to avoid "scary dogs" even when they are being walked on a lead.

> As for going for a walk on my own...

I can empathise, my earliest memories are being terrified of dogs, if I was walking down the street with my mum (pre school) and I saw someone coming towards us with a dog I'd be begging her to cross the road, I had nightmares about being chased by dogs and would wake up screaming. In my teens I could just about cope with my girlfriend's golden retreiver once I got to know it but it was a long process, when our daghters were little they begged for a dog and we eventually got a puppy from my sister about 20 years ago and Bonnie (a Lab/weimeranner cross) grew up with the girls and I learned to not be scared of dogs (in my 40s by then). Bonnie died when she was over 15 from a twisted stomach about 5 years ago. We got Jack about 2 years ago and his 3/4 sister 9 months later.

When I was in my 20s I used to do a lot of running and being scared of dogs, and being on timed runs , I found nothing more scary/irritating than being bounded up to by a large dog and being told "Its OK , he's harmless."
I've also done my fair share of kicking away annoying dogs (after appropriate warnings to owners).

So I am probably more aware than most of peoples reactions to dogs, hence my amusement at some of the comments on this thread and the assumption by some that I'm an irresponsible dog owner especially when the original enquiry seemed responsible to me (partic after recent walks in the Lake District when the dogs have been on the lead for 7 hours). Resposibility for a dog owner cuts two ways, firstly to ther people and secondly to the dogs themselves. Nothing annoys me more than irresponsible dog owners who give everyone else a bad reputation ... and don't get me started on the poo bag idiots who pick up the poo in a bag and then sling it away ....
 Jenny C 06 Nov 2015
In reply to JimR:
> When I was in my 20s I used to do a lot of running and being scared of dogs, and being on timed runs , I found nothing more scary/irritating than being bounded up to by a large dog and being told "Its OK , he's harmless."

TBH it's probably the (over?) friendly dogs which I find most frightening/intimidating. Hence my annoyance at all these people who have the attitude "he's really friendly and would probably just lick you to death".

I fully accept that my fear is irrational and that I can't expect people to avoid keeping/exercising their well trained pets because it. That said irrational or not, my fear is very real and I really can not handle dogs invading my personal space by jumping up.
Mike_H20 08 Nov 2015
In reply to JimR:

I have a collie who doesn't bother about sheep at all, but it's still best to keep them on a lead. You can never really tell, and you only need one farmer to misunderstand. I only very occasionally let her off on the high fells.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...