UKC

let's talk binoculars

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Will hopefully be moving in the New Year to a house with a view. I had in mind that I might get some binoculars to look at it, spy on the neighbours etc. No idea where to start looking and what I need. The view is across a valley to mountains and some nearer stuff that is less interesting (gardens etc.). I thought I would keep them by the window rather than carry them around with me so don't need to be portable. Could probably spend around 100 quid if it was needed.

What do I need to know?
Any specific recommendations?

Thanks
 Tom Valentine 17 Nov 2015
In reply to fibonacci moose:
I' ve got several pairs with different specs but I really covet my mate's Opticron Oregons.
I think his are 8 x 32 but you could probably stretch to 8 x 42 on that budget.
Portability is always useful, and once you get into the higher magnifications you need to have very steady hands.
Post edited at 09:02
 toad 17 Nov 2015

mine cost a bit more than your budget, though they aren't top end. I reckon you can do well for under £300, though you can tell the difference with £1000 swarovskis. I'm currently regretting having 8x as they aren't quite powerful enough. If you aren't carrying them then 10x would be much more use. If you aren't moving around, how about a 'scope on a tripod. Good value opticrons about

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/gs665_scope.htm

No idea where you live , but on the off chance you ever find yourself in North Norfolk, Cley Spy in Glanford is a fantastic binocular shop with heaps to choose from and try. Also their sister shop in Cley is good.

http://www.cleyspy.co.uk/
 deepsoup 17 Nov 2015
Worth looking at spotting scopes as well maybe?
cb294 17 Nov 2015

If you don´t need to carry you will be better of with a tripod and a spotting scope.
Best check birdwatching sites or magazines for used ones. Opticron is a good bet at your price range, just don´t ever look through a high end one (Zeiss, Leica, Svarowski, Optolyth), the difference might be too tempting....

Also, I would always go for a fixed magnification rather than zoom ocular, again because the quality is so much better.

CB
mick taylor 17 Nov 2015

I'd go for quality second hand, and highly recommend these guys, who have 'shops' at a variety of Wildlife and Wetland Trust reserves so you can try stuff out. 8x40 bins (or a bit either side) are great. I've got a good telescope (cant remember make - possibly opticron?) which is brilliant, and great for basic star gazing. Thing is, a telescope would get in the way when not in use.

http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/
 Tom Valentine 17 Nov 2015
In reply to cb294:

I get the impression he's going to be looking through his window so I imagine the benefits of Zeiss or Leica would be cancelled out by the double glazing.

Wow - thanks for the responses. I will look at scopes as well then. Assuming they fit on a regular photography tripod, which I have? Actually, there is a balcony so it won't just be looking though the windows, although I will probably do that too. I was more attracted by the binoculars, since I can just stick them on a shelf when not in use rather than have tripod etc. kicking around.

Do binoculars come with tripod mounts?
If I went with a scope, would they be suitable for both day and basic night sky use? At what specs?

Thanks for all the help. Really starting from zero here.
cb294 17 Nov 2015
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Not really, the difference in brightness would still be noticeable. I have a 80 mm Optolyth, but am completely jealous every time I look through my friend´s 85 mm Svarowski. Surprising how much progress is still being made over a few years time, when one should think that telescopes are a pretty mature technology.

However, both would be complete overkill for the OP and way outside budget, even used.

Same with binoculars, I have 10x50 Leicas, which give me half an hour added observation time at dusk simply because they catch so much light (and lose so little internally) on top of the sharpness and true colours. Unfortunately they are rather heavy, but I rather carry them around rather than look through my wife´s much lighter Optolyth 10x42s.

CB
cb294 17 Nov 2015

> Wow - thanks for the responses. I will look at scopes as well then. Assuming they fit on a regular photography tripod, which I have? Actually, there is a balcony so it won't just be looking though the windows, although I will probably do that too. I was more attracted by the binoculars, since I can just stick them on a shelf when not in use rather than have tripod etc. kicking around.

Do it, a friend of ours also has a house with the sitting room window overlooking a small valley, and with the spotting scope next to the windows he can look at the birds in the garden as well as in the woods at the other side. No comparison to binoculars.

> Do binoculars come with tripod mounts?

Only the very largest sizes, there are e.g. cheapo Russian 25x65 binoculars that even have a central stabilizing rod. Otherwise there should be marine binoculars with tripod mounts, but that is outside my expertise.

> If I went with a scope, would they be suitable for both day and basic night sky use? At what specs?

Yes, looking at the night sky with a spotting scope is great. Not astronomy level, but much better than binoculars. Jupiter becomes vaguely banded rather than a whitish blob (with 20-60x zoom oculars at full mag), and the comet last year was just amazing. Also, most spotting scopes have a tilted ocular, so looking up becomes much easier.

I would go for a 65mm front aperture (much cheaper than the next class up, 80-85mm) and a 25 or 30 x wide angle, fixed magnification ocular rather than a zoom. Opticron has a few on offer, I think in the 200-300 pound range new, but there are other manufacturers as well. Unfortunately I would be better placed to comment if you were looking for a pro birdwatcher´s scope. Best go to a shop with a used gear section and have a look. It is definitely better to buy a higher spec scope (especially the glass coating) used rather than a new, lower spec one.

Cheers,

CB

I bought some Nikon Action VII 8 x 40 CF Binoculars a while back for 56 quid and I think they're great. They seem to be discontinued but I'm sure they'll have a replacement model. Bright, reasonable magnification but not so powerful that I can't hold them steady. They seem really sharp compared to what was affordable a few decades ago. I bought a cheap tripod mount which is good for looking at the moons of Jupiter and suchlike.

Thanks everyone. Loads of great info here.
 lone 17 Nov 2015

I got a pair of Boot's Fleet 7x35 wide angle bins, cost me £6 in a Cash Generator shop. By far the most clear and brilliant optics i've ever had in a pair of bins. I have Opticron 10x25 and 8x42 as well and they are good for close up stuff but over a distance I find they become a little less clear.

There are a pair on ebay now

Jase
 Toerag 17 Nov 2015

You're going to be able to steady them on a tripod or windowsill so you can go for high magnification. Bigger front end lens means better low light performance. I've no idea on prices, but surely a better spec scope will cost the same or less than lower spec binsdue to less glass and more simplicity? Modern lens coatings will reduce internal reflections (flare, ghosting), but so will a decent hood.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...