UKC

Font grades for trad routes at Burbage North

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Pylon King 01 Dec 2015

Ok, bear with me on this one as I am doing some research.

What would you say the Font grades for these routes are:

The Chant HVS
20 ft Crack S
Wednesday Climb HVS
Mutiny Crack HS
Evening Wall E1
Black Slab VS
The Sentinel E2
The Irrepressible Urge E1
Long Tall Sally E1
Rose Flake VS
Right Fin HVS

And what trad grade did All Quiet on the Eastern Front used to get, E1 6a ?

Cheers
Post edited at 16:41
 deacondeacon 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Urgles:

The Sentinel might just get Font 6A, so the rest of them are around Font 4-5+.
Not sure what you're using the results for but French grades could be more useful.
In reply to deacondeacon:

> The Sentinel might just get Font 6A, so the rest of them are around Font 4-5+.

Interesting, i was under the impression that Brit 5b = f5 roughly

deacondeacon 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Urgles:

It usually is, and perhaps the Sentinel is easier than F6A. I'm jus going from memory and it was a few years ago now that I did it.
Doug Kerr 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Urgles:

Surely font grades are for boulder problems

The Chant HVS
f4

20 ft Crack S
f2+

Wednesday Climb HVS
It's a route

Mutiny Crack HS
It's a (very good) route

Evening Wall E1
It's a route

Black Slab VS
It's a route

The Sentinel E2
It's a route

The Irrepressible Urge E1
Borderline but how about a tough f5

Long Tall Sally E1
It's a route

Rose Flake VS
It's a route

Right Fin HVS
It's a route

In reply to Doug Kerr:

No imagination then?

You have heard of highballing?
 LakesWinter 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Urgles:

> Ok, bear with me on this one as I am doing some research.

> What would you say the Font grades for these routes are:

> The Chant HVS
Font 5
> 20 ft Crack S
Font 4
> Wednesday Climb HVS
Font 5
> Mutiny Crack HS
Font 4
> Evening Wall E1
Font 5 or maybe 4+
> Black Slab VS
Font 3
> The Sentinel E2
Not done it.
> The Irrepressible Urge E1
Font 5+
> Long Tall Sally E1
Font 5+
> Rose Flake VS
Font 4
> Right Fin HVS
Font 4+
> And what trad grade did All Quiet on the Eastern Front used to get, E1 6a ?
Yes.
> Cheers

Graeme Hammond 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Urgles:

from this guide: http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/book.php?id=960the ones that are listed are:

> The Chant HVS = 5

> 20 ft Crack S = 4

> Wednesday Climb HVS = 5+

> Right Fin HVS = noted as HVS in text but not described properly. I probably agree with the above that it should be consider a route for most people due to the landing. I remember the first time I did it optimistically putting my then very thin mat down on the slope to hide the ladding only for it to blow away when i was committed so the only way was up.

> And what trad grade did All Quiet on the Eastern Front used to get, E1 6a ? - yes in Burbage millstone and beyond guide and same in the old froggatt 91 guide
Doug Kerr 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Urgles:

Of course not and definitely no sense of humour either. We just used to solo, normally above a wet beer towel.
Mutiny Crack is one of the best HS's routes I've done on Peak grit, please don't tell me you think it's a boulder problem.
 Bulls Crack 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Urgles:

Easier just to swap the tech and font grades and imagine the route is shorter than it is

But what's the point?!
In reply to Doug Kerr:

Just trying to get the feel of grading relatively easy boulder problems.

Every grading table I look at seems completely different.

Theres Burbagesque micro routes down here that will prob get done with pads.

Goucho 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Easier just to swap the tech and font grades and imagine the route is shorter than it is

> But what's the point?!

I wonder what the font grade for Salathe Wall is these days?
 lowersharpnose 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Goucho:

Sitting start?

Goucho 01 Dec 2015
In reply to lowersharpnose:

> Sitting start?

With mats?
In reply to Goucho:

> I wonder what the font grade for Salathe Wall is these days?

Is that highball?
 Goucho 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Urgles:

> Is that highball?

Only with 16 mats.
In reply to Goucho:

placed horizontally or vertically?
 Offwidth 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Urgles:
You are not going mad. Despite all the hot air about Font grades being the best thing for lower grade problems they are neither well understood nor consistently applied. A font 4 at Font would often be f6a in the UK and might be as hard as a f6C unless its a jamming crack when it would often be f3 (like the one at Diplodocus). The YMC and VG both used a rough conversion of 4a to f3; 4b to f3+ 4c to f4, 5a to f4+ and 5b to f5 (but both are using grit grades and UK tech might be softer elsewhere).

Lakeswinter is close to my view on reasonably sensible UK font grades and plenty of these Burbage North routes would be standard non highballs at Font (including Wednesday Climb)
Post edited at 08:37
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks.
In reply to LakesWinter:

Thanks
 Jon Stewart 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Urgles:

I interpret this to mean technical difficulty in Font grades, which I guess could account for sustainedness but not scariness. In the books, I think the Font grades are pretty bonkers if compared to Font grades in, you know, Font.

> The Chant HVS

Bit of a trick move, not hard. Maybe 4?

> 20 ft Crack S

2? or 3 due to polish?

> Wednesday Climb HVS

4+

> Mutiny Crack HS

> Evening Wall E1

4+

> Black Slab VS

2? But really irrelevant!

> The Sentinel E2

Again, really irrelevant, wouldn't know without soloing it, and even then...

4+

> Long Tall Sally E1

No idea again, nothing like bouldering

> Rose Flake VS

> Right Fin HVS

> And what trad grade did All Quiet on the Eastern Front used to get, E1 6a ?

Yup, and the right grade too I think.

In reply to Jon Stewart:
Interesting...almost 2 grades lower than LakesWinter.

So are you saying that if Long Tall Sally and The Sentinel were 7m with good landings and had no gear and were only ever climbed as highballs you would still give them trad grades?
Post edited at 09:43
 Jon Stewart 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Urgles:

> So are you saying that if Long Tall Sally and The Sentinel were 7m with good landings and had no gear and were only ever climbed as highballs you would still give them trad grades?

I just don't have sufficient imagination to turn them into completely different routes, climb them in my head and assign a grade. How do you fit 10m of climbing into 7m of rock?
In reply to Jon Stewart:

The same as how you did with all the others?
 Jon Stewart 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Urgles:

All the others I've soloed loads of times (usually because they have no gear) and *are* about 6 or 7m!
In reply to Jon Stewart:

They all have gear apart from Irrepressible Urge.
 Jon Stewart 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Urgles:

Yes, I suppose they do. But not in my mind because I always solo'em!
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I reckon Evening wall is a pretty serious solo. and 8m.
 Jon Stewart 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Urgles:

There isn't much consistency in what I see as a good solo (and so can more easily assign a Font grade) and what I see as something I've led and might lead again. Just depends on the style of climbing really - I like rounded breaks, so Evening Wall feels OK.
 Offwidth 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:
Several of those routes have already get pretty standard bouldering grades and you are at least one grade too low on those compared to similar peak standards (yorkshire is a tad stiffer). The following are the VG and EG grades (with my view)

> The Chant HVS
V0+ 5a; f5 (I'd say tough 4+)
> 20 ft Crack S
V0- 4b; f4 (I'd say tough 3+)
> Wednesday Climb HVS
V1 5b; f5+ (maybe tough f5 or easy f5+)
Mutiny Crack
NA; NA (very highball 4.... eases above the boulder problem start but with a scary and tough f3 move at the top)
NA; NA (highball 5)
Right Fin
V1 5b!; N/A (a route with f5 moves)

I'd add that you are a trustworthy guy on trad grades so your view on these grades shows the inadvertent sandbag possibilities in guidebook work and why judging UK tech and translating from that is a safer option when grading well below ones standard. Lets call it the Musgrove method.
Post edited at 10:42
 Jon Stewart 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Offwidth:
I think the grades offered in the books don't match the grades in the same books for lowball problems. My understanding of boulder grades is that they are technical and don't take scariness into account.

And I thought Font 5/+ was UK 5c going on 6a?
Post edited at 10:53
In reply to Offwidth:

This is all good stuff....exactly what I am after, thanks.
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Again, this is all good stuff....exactly what I am after, thanks.
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> And I thought Font 5/+ was UK 5c going on 6a?

This is why I am confused because my bouldering friend says Brit 6a roughly = Font 6A!
Post edited at 11:12
 Adrien 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Goucho:

> I wonder what the font grade for Salathe Wall is these days?

Soft 7a+ and 7c+ if you sitstart it http://bleau.info/rempart/316.html
Doug Kerr 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Urgles:

> Just trying to get the feel of grading relatively easy boulder problems.

We've gone through a similiar process with our guidebook work here. Grading easy boulder problems definetely presents a challenge. We settled on font grades in the end although this is far from perfect especially at the bottom end of the scale.

> Every grading table I look at seems completely different.

Agreed. Even the grades quoted on this thread for the routes you've listed vary widely between 3 or so climbers who have presumably climbed all of the routes. That's life; it's a guidebook you're producing not an instruction manual.

> Theres Burbagesque micro routes down here that will prob get done with pads.

That must be the case with lots and lots of outcrops. We treated most things 5m or less as boulder problems (font grades) and everything else as trad. Sure it doesn't work for everything but it's a helpful/rough rule of thumb.

In reply to Doug Kerr:

> Agreed. Even the grades quoted on this thread for the routes you've listed vary widely between 3 or so climbers who have presumably climbed all of the routes. That's life; it's a guidebook you're producing not an instruction manual.

Well yes I am aware of that but the bloody grades seem to vary SO much, so I am am just trying to form my idea of the grades.

> That must be the case with lots and lots of outcrops. We treated most things 5m or less as boulder problems (font grades) and everything else as trad. Sure it doesn't work for everything but it's a helpful/rough rule of thumb.

Seems anything less than 10m where I am!
 Jon Stewart 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Urgles:

> This is why I am confused because my bouldering friend says Brit 6a roughly = Font 6A!

I agree with that. I think UK 6a covers the range Font 5+ (1 move) to maybe Font 6c (long). So a good problem of UK 6a climbing should be Font 6a/b. UK 5c covers Font 5 (1 move) to maybe Font 6a+ (long) or something. All gets much murkier going downwards. UK 6b is around Font 6b (1 move) to Font 7a (long). In my opinion/understanding.
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thanks.
Doug Kerr 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Urgles:

> Seems anything less than 10m where I am!

Goodness. Does that include stuff that has gear and can be led?
In reply to Doug Kerr:

> Goodness. Does that include stuff that has gear and can be led?

Seems to be a bit.
 Offwidth 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:
The problem is Font (and the stick in the mud attitude to grade changes at lower grades with polish) the UK are sensibly modifying the grades back to something like they once meant so they make sense with the middle and top end stuff. f5+ is clearly standard UK 5c in the grade tables in the YMC guides, BMC guides, VG guides and Rockfax guides. Rockfax have added a slight distortion by making V1 equivalent to f5.
Post edited at 17:12
 Jon Stewart 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

> f5+ is clearly standard UK 5c in the grade tables in the YMC guides, BMC guides, VG guides and Rockfax guides.

Is that for a 1 move problem, or one with a good few moves of 5c climbing?
 Offwidth 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:
Thats the exact alignment in the grade tables, so presumably for standard (relatively cruxy) problems. Sustained UK 5c problems obviously get f6a (or harder).
Post edited at 17:29
 Offwidth 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Doug Kerr:

Doesn't Bishop have a few 50 foot problems?
 Macca_7 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Urgles:

> Well yes I am aware of that but the bloody grades seem to vary SO much, so I am am just trying to form my idea of the grades.

> Seems anything less than 10m where I am!

Where are you thinking?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...